• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fixed stock compliance

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Not sure where to put this--equipment or legal. It's kind of both, but feel free to move if necessary.

I have a Mission First Tactical collapsible stock. Got it for a build and then found out they make compliant versions of this stock. Too late for that, but I'm now going to have to fix this in place for MA. I took it apart to find out how the mechanism works. Very simple design. Spring loaded plunger locks into buffer tube holes, just like most other stocks. The release button works by pressing a bar that slots through the plunger pushing against spring tension to pull the plunger out of the buffer tube hole.

Thinking about how this works, I just removed this bar and now the button doesn't do anything and the plunger stays locked in a buffer tube hole. The bottom of the plunger is exposed through the plastic of the stock, but pushing on it does nothing. You'd need to pull on it, but there's nothing to grab. It's flush with the stock. Is that enough for compliance?

mission-first-tactical-battlelink-minimalist-milspec-stock-army-black-stock.jpg

Grind that pin below the surface , and cover it and the spring with epoxy , sand, paint ?

Can you remove the lever too ?

Grind that pin below the surface , and cover it and the spring with epoxy , sand, paint ?

Can you remove the lever too ?

The pin in the circle has been pulled completely out so now the lever does nothing at all. The plunger is flush with the frame, as seen above (below the red circle at the bottom of the stock). The only way to make the plunger work is to stick the pin back in, and that could require tools if the plunger rotated in the buffer tube hole where the pin hole no longer lines up in the factory orientation.

In this set up, you can't collapse the stock without breaking it. But, and this is the big catch--I could always re-insert the pin to get it working again. Wouldn't be super quick if the plunger rotated, but could be done in the matter of minutes.

You’re fine… if you need a “tool” to adjust the stock (ie, hook to pull the pin, or punch to remove a roll pin) then it’s not adjustable for compliance sake because it is not readily adjustable, as is.

Thanks! This was my gut thought, but it's good to get a second on this type of thing.

No law says you can't have an adjustable stock. It can't be telescopic or folding. I take the position that if an AR stock can be shortened and pinned at it's shortest length then why can't it be adjustable to a longer length. Of course that is my legal opinion and because I'm a pussy I use fixed stocks. But the argument is there.

Do something that will allow you to go back without ruining the stock. Who knows? You may end up in a free state some day. Jack.

This was very much why I was trying to avoid drilling or epoxying it. Although, it's not like a new stock was going to break the bank or anything, so I would have permanently altered it if necessary.

As it stands, I would probably need needle noise pliers and the original plunger pin in order to get it back to adjustable. And that would just be to remove the stock from the buffer tube so I could then put back in a set screw to hold the pin in place to make it permanently adjustable again, so I think I'm good by consensus thought on this thread.

No law says you can't have an adjustable stock. It can't be telescopic or folding. I take the position that if an AR stock can be shortened and pinned at it's shortest length then why can't it be adjustable to a longer length. Of course that is my legal opinion and because I'm a pussy I use fixed stocks. But the argument is there.

lol. I thought of that same concept independently. That right there is the MA fixed stock paradox. If it can be locked/pinned into the shortest length (provided it clears min rifle OAL), then adjustment no longer even matters. So the whole thing is a bunch of bureaucratic moot BS. Viva La MA!

lol. I thought of that same concept independently. That right there is the MA fixed stock paradox. If it can be locked/pinned into the shortest length (provided it clears min rifle OAL), then adjustment no longer even matters. So the whole thing is a bunch of bureaucratic moot BS. Viva La MA!

I recently picked up one of the 'compliant' ones because it was nice and cheap on midway. There's no spring in the plunger, and there's a hole drilled through it where you just smash a roll pin to prevent it from moving. Check out the 2nd video on here: Mission First Tactical Battlelink Minimalist Stock Restricted State

There's some thread about fixing magpul MOE stocks which might give you some ideas too.

I recently picked up one of the 'compliant' ones because it was nice and cheap on midway. There's no spring in the plunger, and there's a hole drilled through it where you just smash a roll pin to prevent it from moving. Check out the 2nd video on here: Mission First Tactical Battlelink Minimalist Stock Restricted State

There's some thread about fixing magpul MOE stocks which might give you some ideas too.

Thanks for the link. I thought about drilling mine exactly where they did the factory hole on this one, and then shoving a roll pin in there the same way they show you in that video, but removing the cross bar for the detent plunger was far easier and same net result. The only difference is that the adjustment lever no longer moves on this one, while mine freely moves (no resistance, but also no action to the plunger). I may actually remove the lever altogether and keep it somewhere if I ever decide to move to freer pastures.

I have the same stock.
I just drilled a hole where the mft logo is and put in a roll pin.
Simple and easy

I think I achieved what I needed by just removing the pin circled in post #1. There is nothing for the release tab to push on anymore, so the detent plunger that would normally lift to change positions is just fixed into one slot now with no way of moving it without tools. Doesn't get any more simple or easy than that, and if I find myself in a free state in the future, no additional holes in the stock. My only concern was if that was compliant enough, but it would seem that most say that requiring tools to move it makes it so.

Sounds like you’re already good to go but figure I’d drop this here in case you or anyone else is still looking for less permanent solutions (epoxy, roll pins, etc.).
These are cheap, easy to use, and don’t permanently alter any part of the stock or buffer tube. I have a few laying around because as we all know, once you build one there’s almost certainly more to follow.

I use these stock locks:

Completely reversible and easy to adjust to other positions for length of pull adjustments. But I don’t think they’ll work with the MFT stock.

Back
Top Bottom