• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kittery Trading Post Policy Question

New here and don't know if this has been covered before. Does anybody know what KTP's policy is regarding DELAY on NICS background check.

Do they release the sale after three days without response or do they have a specific policy??

New here and don't know if this has been covered before. Does anybody know what KTP's policy is regarding DELAY on NICS background check.

Do they release the sale after three days without response or do they have a specific policy??

They are in Maine . You are in Maine .

Yeah.. I love picking stuff up at the Trading Post... people will come in from other states and have to wait an hour+ for background checks.. Maine comes back in less than 10 minutes.. even in mid-December, peak Obama scare.

Though I do wish they would just call.. That takes less than 90 seconds.

Certain states have waiting period on specific firearms...

whats that have to do with it?

Certain states have waiting period on specific firearms...

He was not referencing a waiting period. He was referencing a part of the Brady law that allows the Licensee to proceed with a sale 3 days after a "delay" response from NICS, even if they have not heard back from the NICS center.

Although it is legal to proceed, many large dealers like Cabelas or KTP will not proceed even though they would be within the law to do so.

He was not referencing a waiting period. He was referencing a part of the Brady law that allows the Licensee to proceed with a sale 3 days after a "delay" response from NICS, even if they have not heard back from the NICS center.

Although it is legal to proceed, many large dealers like Cabelas or KTP will not proceed even though they would be within the law to do so.

That is my question exactly dcmdon.

I did this very thing last month...... I bought a Ruger MKIII at KTP and had my 5 year old with me.... After about 45 minutes of waiting with no Nics approval yet I told them ' we had to leave ' as my son was getting cranky (and then some )

They just cancelled the nic request and I went back a week later and finished the process.... no fuss, no muss, no extra fees or anything

Sorry for NOT READING the question... I am on the NICS VIP list, they see my name and to the front of the line I go.

7 BUISNESS days not counting the day its delayed, weekends or holidays. Sadly i have too damn much experince with this issue.

Apparently not enough.

"If the FFL has not received from the NICS a final determination after 3 business
days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL’s discretion whether or not
to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer)."

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2004/11/111204-fbi-nics-delay.pdf

7 BUISNESS days not counting the day its delayed, weekends or holidays. Sadly i have too damn much experince with this issue.

Thanks--this is exactly what I was looking for.

winter--I thought I was too til I went to pick up a revolver at my FFL today is the start of DELAY DAY 2. I can get the gun on Thursday.

Mxracer239y--what you have quoted is correct, but the key words in that are " it is within the FFL’s discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm" KTP's discretion is to wait 7 working days if no response is rendered. They are well within the law on this one.

What are you saying? Is this a waiting period if you don't have a license?

The law re a "delay" response from NICS is 3 days. Period. Fact. No debate:
FBI ? Fact Sheet

Are you saying that KTP's policy is to wait 7 days? Do they wait out the "delay" and then sell it.

First off I did and you get a hold from the NICS KTP will not complete the sale for 7 working days without a proceed response from NICS. This is not a waiting period this is what "is their discretion "

both what I have highlighted and the link provided by another member spells this out. "If after the three days the FFL may at their discretion proceed". What this translates to is that legally if the FFL wants to complete the sale, make you wait 7 days without a response, or say no sale it is their discretion and they are well within the law

First off I did and you get a hold from the NICS KTP will not complete the sale for 7 working days without a proceed response from NICS. This is not a waiting period this is what "is their discretion "

both what I have highlighted and the link provided by another member spells this out. "If after the three days the FFL may at their discretion proceed". What this translates to is that legally if the FFL wants to complete the sale, make you wait 7 days without a response, or say no sale it is their discretion and they are well within the law

Yes. It might be bad business, it might not, but there is no law saying they MUST sell you anything.

Back
Top Bottom