KIDD 10/22 build

slipknot

NES Member
I have been wanting a match quality rifle for a while since using my Ruger 10/22 sporter barrel that is my first gun I ever bought back in 1984, for egg shoots and stuff. It is not very accurate at all as it has been abused over the years so I stripped it completely and thoroughly cleaned the receiver, bought all KIDD parts for it = 20" match barrel, Kidd bolt, pins,screws, v-block, $300 2 stage trigger with 3 + 3 ounce pull, A Bell and Carlson 2-way adjustable stock and a Sightron 8-32x56 scope with the 2MOA reticle. I got the rings in the mail Saturday and put it together then cleaned it, so I went to the range this morning with a bunch of different ammo to try out.
The trigger is sweet and I hope it helps my accuracy. Putting this together was better for me to do than just buying a complete Kidd rifle as I got the stock I wanted and enjoyed assembling it myself.
I got some good grouping right from the start but ran over 100 rounds today.

the Center X got me my best 3 shot group, the Wolf Match did well also best center x group.jpg wolf group.jpg center x target.jpg new KIDD.jpg

the first 2 pics are Wolf match ammo even though the first one is labeled wrong
third is my Center X target, 4th is the rifle.

also here is a tight group of three the best center x group 0.105

center x best group .105.jpg

here is a 5 shot group of center x 0.38" and a decent 3 shot group of same ammo at 0.355"
center x 5 shot group.jpg

This is all at 50 yards, it got too windy to bother trying it at 100 yards today.

I am satisfied so far with the results.

Thanks to Mac for some advice on the scope

Last edited:
Nothing but issues with my Kidd stuff. Very disappointed. Glad it worked out for you

Nothing but issues with my Kidd stuff. Very disappointed. Glad it worked out for you

did you contact KIDD... I know 5 people now that have dropped some coin on KIDD upgrades and they are still walking around with smiles and a hard on over how well the guns shoot now.
None of them bought a kid complete rifle. barrels and internal up grades only.

I have been wanting a match quality rifle for a while since using my Ruger 10/22 sporter barrel that is my first gun I ever bought back in 1984, for egg shoots and stuff. It is not very accurate at all as it has been abused over the years so I stripped it completely and thoroughly cleaned the receiver, bought all KIDD parts for it = 20" match barrel, Kidd bolt, pins,screws, v-block, $300 2 stage trigger with 3 + 3 ounce pull, A Bell and Carlson 2-way adjustable stock and a Sightron 8-32x56 scope with the 2MOA reticle. I got the rings in the mail Saturday and put it together then cleaned it, so I went to the range this morning with a bunch of different ammo to try out.
The trigger is sweet and I hope it helps my accuracy. Putting this together was better for me to do than just buying a complete Kidd rifle as I got the stock I wanted and enjoyed assembling it myself.
I got some good grouping right from the start but ran over 100 rounds today.

the Center X got me my best 3 shot group, the Wolf Match did well alsoView attachment 184276View attachment 184277View attachment 184278View attachment 184279

the first 2 pics are Wolf match ammo even though the first one is labeled wrong
third is my Center X target, 4th is the rifle.

also here is a tight group of three the best center x group 0.105

View attachment 184280

here is a 5 shot group of center x 0.38" and a decent 3 shot group of same ammo at 0.355"
View attachment 184281

This is all at 50 yards, it got too windy to bother trying it at 100 yards today.

I am satisfied so far with the results.

Thanks to Mac for some advice on the scope

nice! i really like that sightron scope and reticle. on 24X that center dot is .25 moa and on 32 i think its .18 ? easily put that dot inside the bullet hole. The 2 moa hash marks work out well also...

I bet if you stick with one ammo and let the barrel season up a bit the groups will stabalize on the smaller size! nice and thanks for the range report

I did, "send the stuff in and we will look at it". More BS and I have not yet sent the stuff in yet. Frankly I just want my money back.

I got frustrated and just reverted to stock.

Yeah, I was all hard for them, was going to buy a barrel next. Now I dont care and wished I never bothered.

I got the guide rods and springs, single stage (2lb?) trigger, bolt and some pins. Pins are the only thing that did not cause a malfunction.

I did, "send the stuff in and we will look at it". More BS and I have not yet sent the stuff in yet. Frankly I just want my money back.

Yeah, I was all hard for them, was going to buy a barrel next. Now I dont care and wished I never bothered.

I got the guide rods and springs, single stage (2lb?) trigger, bolt and some pins. Pins are the only thing that did not cause a malfunction.

did the gun function 100% before... want to sell those defective parts since you cant be bothered with sending them back?

generally its tough to do over the phone diag, as for a refund ? whats thier return?

here it is.... so mae it clear you want a refund but you will still need to send the parts to them for them to determine if they are defective or damaged? good luck.

We understand that there are different circumstances that happen with returns or exchanges and we work with customers to find the best solution for both parties involved. Here are some possible scenarios that customers can use to make reasonable judgements on this policy but this is not all inclusive so if there is a question please give us a call 830-557-5433. We will accept the return of products that are defective due to defects in manufacturing and/or workmanship and provide a full refund within 60 days from the date of purchase, if the product is in "like new condition" or with only reasonable wear for the circumstance. Fulfillment mistakes that we make resulting in the shipment of incorrect product to the customer will also be accepted for return 60 days from the date of purchase along with the shipment of the proper item. And normally this is rectified by KIDD sending out the correct product with a return label if this process if initiated within 7 days from the date of receiving the package. If a product is not working for the customer but at no fault of KIDD and it is in "like new condition" or reasonably close we will accept the return within 60 days of the date of purchase. A possible restocking fee may apply depending on the condition, circumstances, and item.

Last edited:
Thousands and thousands of rounds before the upgrades. No hiccups at all. I'm a huge 10/22 fan. Always recommending them.

Actually I would sell them. PM me and we can talk.

did the gun function 100% before... want to sell those defective parts since you cant be bothered with sending them back?

generally its tough to do over the phone diag, as for a refund ? whats thier return?

here it is.... so mae it clear you want a refund but you will still need to send the parts to them for them to determine if they are defective or damaged? good luck.

We understand that there are different circumstances that happen with returns or exchanges and we work with customers to find the best solution for both parties involved. Here are some possible scenarios that customers can use to make reasonable judgements on this policy but this is not all inclusive so if there is a question please give us a call 830-557-5433. We will accept the return of products that are defective due to defects in manufacturing and/or workmanship and provide a full refund within 60 days from the date of purchase, if the product is in "like new condition" or with only reasonable wear for the circumstance. Fulfillment mistakes that we make resulting in the shipment of incorrect product to the customer will also be accepted for return 60 days from the date of purchase along with the shipment of the proper item. And normally this is rectified by KIDD sending out the correct product with a return label if this process if initiated within 7 days from the date of receiving the package. If a product is not working for the customer but at no fault of KIDD and it is in "like new condition" or reasonably close we will accept the return within 60 days of the date of purchase. A possible restocking fee may apply depending on the condition, circumstances, and item.

I have my emails from me and them. I spent ~$400 in upgrades. It did take me a while to install and test them. But I did talk to them prior to the 60 days. They sorta blamed my "old rifle" and I said I only wanted a refund. Figured they would jump through hoops to make it right, but no. I spent enough.

Last edited:

I put the same parts in a new 10/22 plus a Tacsol lightweight barrel; no problems. I then decided to go all out and put the parts in a Tactical Innovations left hand charging receiver and a Magpul Hunter stock; again no problems using stock ten round mags and the Tandemkross double ten rounders. The Kidd trigger is a good deal at $200. It has one of the nicest triggers I have ever used; crisp 2 lb break and a tiny reset. This makes for an excellent rimfire steel gun. I would give them a chance to fix the problem.

PS Are you using the sock ten round mags?

Trigger felt great, but had a few issues with it. Maybe they are correct, older 10/22's are not compatible. Mine is from the early 90's.

Trigger felt great, but had a few issues with it. Maybe they are correct, older 10/22's are not compatible. Mine is from the early 90's.

i dont buy that KIDD was modifying 10/22s in the mid 90s so unless there was some dramatic design change i dont see it ? I know some stocks dont work with them and the magnum amd HMR can be a issue?

i dont buy that KIDD was modifying 10/22s in the mid 90s so unless there was some dramatic design change i dont see it ? I know some stocks dont work with them and the magnum amd HMR can be a issue?

This was from an email with them

" I believe that there may be a compatibility issue with your older receiver since Ruger has changed many things in their castings over the years. Good Shooting-Shalee"

This was from an email with them

" I believe that there may be a compatibility issue with your older receiver since Ruger has changed many things in their castings over the years. Good Shooting-Shalee"

I think it's time to bypass shaleen and talk with Tony if possible... I'm not buying it.

I built a NSSF Rimfire Challenge/Steel Challenge gun with KIDD parts about a month ago. Trigger and lightweight barrel. Installed in a Magpul stock. This was on a pre-ban receiver. No issues at all.

Oh snap! I may have a preban receiver. In any case it's approx 20 years old and the Kidd trigger works great.

I have had a KIDD trigger for around 5 years now. I love it. It is worth the investment.

My next 10/22 will have a KIDD trigger and a barrel from Magnum Research. I might also use the lightweight stock from Magnum research. Now, the challenge is to find a light target stock with no thumb hole, to be used in some competitions.

I have had a KIDD trigger for around 5 years now. I love it. It is worth the investment.

My next 10/22 will have a KIDD trigger and a barrel from Magnum Research. I might also use the lightweight stock from Magnum research. Now, the challenge is to find a light target stock with no thumb hole, to be used in some competitions.
Magpul Hunter stock:
MAGPUL_HUNTER_X-22_8.jpg

Not sure when made, but I bought mine ~mid 90's.

im just not buying the older reciever issues yeah maybe the very very early ones like the 64-70 models?
The only real changes I have seen over the years is the introduction to more plastic parts, My old 10/22 from the early 90s had 2 washers along side the hammer. I noticed when fixing my friends its now 1 pc.
Also I have seen a few late 2000s models had a painted finish...? any how hope it all works out.
Eventually my 10/22 will sport as light as a 2 stage trigger as I can find , 20" heavy target barrel and match sights...with a opption for scope... until then my gen 1 Kidd trigger and sub 1.5MOA ruger will have to do.

This looks like a fun project.

Just a reality check to everyone following this post. In the first post the OP said he build the gun himself because he wanted it how he wanted it and didn't want the stocks offered by kidd.

So here's the deal. Kidd will build you a barreled action using anything you want. He will build you a traditional slip fit rifle or one where the barrel to receiver fit is extended to over 2x the normal length and is secured with 2 quick release screws, which he calls a supergrade.

So in summary. There is NO reason to not buy a kidd barrelled action unless you want the satisfaction of putting it together yourself. I like building things, but figured that the intangible benefit of having Tony Kidd's experienced eyes and hands checking things along the way was worth it for me.

Here is a link to the slip fit barreled action configuration page.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Aft...Classic-Slip-Fit-with-Build-Options_p_67.html

Here is a link to the supergrade configuration page.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Aft...ion-Supergrade-with-Build-Options-_p_172.html

Last edited:
I love my kidd/green mountain 10/22. Little tack driver at 25 and 50 haven't tried 100 yards. To the op try CCI Green Tag

It is a learning process for me, I did not know of all the options available.

I will look into trying CCI green tag if I can find some

Thanks

Going to shoot my first match with it this weekend

It is a learning process for me, I did not know of all the options available.

I will look into trying CCI green tag if I can find some

Thanks

Going to shoot my first match with it this weekend

what type of match and where?

Back
Top Bottom