• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

KBI Russian SKS Value

I just came from looking at a KBI import, Russian SKS dated 1952r at a friends house. It is in the original box with accessories, all the numbers I could see matched and it looked in unfired condition to me. There was no refinish mark and the bolt was unfinished, so I don't think it was arsenal refinished (based on info from NES that I looked up).

He is willing to sell it to me and I would like to buy it, but we have no idea what is a fair price. He couldn't find his original paperwork, so he has no idea what he paid for it and he can't even remember how long ago he bought it. My guess is that it could have been 10 or more years ago.

So, does anyone know when KBI started selling these Russian imports and what the original prices were, and what it should sell for now? I ask about the original price because he initially said he would sell it to me for very little over his original cost. If it is worth big money now though, I don't think he will sell it to me as cheaply as I'd hoped! Thanks all for your input.

Gun Show Price $329-350 a non-refurbs tack on $75 more.. cash

Panic Buyers paying 400+ on auction sites.

Mass price...no clue.

What you and your pal agree on as a fair price is up to you.

*edit*I was so eager to post I didn't read...I had a friend of mine who bought an non-refurb about 10 years ago..he paid $225 NIB then butchered it by taking off the bayo and adding a choate stock to it.

Couldn't tell you the importer.

Last edited:
Does it have a laminated stock or hardwood stock? Any laminated wood, even the handguard, means its been through refurb process.

If its all original birch, matching numbers, accessories, exc condition, I'd say the value is around $400 depending on condition. Depth of bluing, stock finish, scratches, bore condition, etc. all make a difference.

If any stock parts are laminated, its refurbed and I'd say value is at between $350 and $400.

Note... These IMO are fair market prices you'd typically see on SKS trader boards, not gunporker auctions sites!

Bottom line is if he is your friend he'll sell it to you for $300 or a little over because that puts cash in his pocket and gets you a nice Russian SKS. Chances are when he bought it he paid around $250 for it.

These days, I think $400 would be a fair value for a Russian refurb.

What we have these days is buyer's remorse and people thinking every SKS type will be banned when the only type mentioned so far has been imported ones made to accept detachable magazines.

Think about that for a second... the only detachable magazine SKS rifles are Chinese models imported many years ago with most in thumbhole stock sporter configuration and a select few in original config.

These rifles came in at the same time during the Chinese importation screwfest when AKs and SKS types were neutered. Importers got smart and altered thousands of rifles to make them legal.

These days people hear the word "ban" and they think anything they have is worth twice as much.

I don't buy into the whole buy it before its banned hype when it comes to standard SKS rifles and anyone who wants to do a fair sale shouldn't either.

I'm no expert on SKS types but they are my staple for collecting and my love. I've been following the price increases like everyone else and a handful of people who I consider experts say prices will equal out eventually after the hype dies down. Whenever that happens is anyone's guess. I'm thinking after the new AWB ban is introduced and if it doesn't include standard SKS type rifles.

Last edited:
If it is in original blue finish and not that flat black import refurb its a nice piece to add to your collection. I agree with Milsurp4me that some folks have buyers panic with Obama. I have seen them go for up to $475 with the box and original paperwork, i.e. ,manuals etc. If your not interested I sure am[wink]....good luck, they are beautiful rifles and made very well.

Back
Top Bottom