Kar 88

m44

Well I picked up that kar 88 250.00 otd the only problem is that it isnt in 8mm and I dont know what caliber it is in[angry][frown]. The good side is that I can make more than I payed for it by selling it if I decide to (that depends on whether or not I can find out what caliber it is in) . I will get up pics as soon as possible .m44

I'd buy a truckload of Kar.88's @ 250 apiece.
Please provide pics, so we may find out what rifle you have.
IS it an 88 bolt/receiver, or possibly a Swede m/94, Argentine 1909 ?

A Swede "94 could in no way be misstaken for an "88. A 1909 in original caliber would be Sweet. Is Lowe on the receiver?

Here is a pic of the rifle .m44

101_0011-1.jpg

for pics of markings go to this link still dont know what the caliber is [angry]

http://www.gew88.com/gew_88_forum/viewtopic.php?t=416

Why do you say it's not 8mm? What is the bore dimension? Has the gun been head-spaced? Also the bolt looks like a nightmare. Maybe you just need to try a new one.

Wow! Ray have you ever had to do that?

Thankfully no but I have read a few stories where people have bought rifles that were chambered in something other than what was expected. Plus there are some guns out there that people claim are one thing but you just have a hunch its not.

For example I remember seeing a VZ24 Mauser at Richie's that they thought was a .308 rifle that had been converted by the US military. I looked up info for a while that night and found out it was just a Mauser type that had the receiver re-stamped by one of the first US importers and it was still 8mm. Federal Ordnance I think was the name of the company that reworked these VZ24s. No cartridge stampings anywhere but I'm pretty sure they were all still 8mm.

Just the other day I was looking at some Finn M39 rifles and one was stamped 7.62x53 on the chamber. Not much difference in safety I don't think but probably all the difference when shooting it for accuracy.

Then there are the Steyr M95 rifles that are still in 8x50 instead of 8x56.

My theory is when in doubt have someone trustworthy check it. If you still doubt it, try a chamber cast. Better to learn some minor gunsmithing and try something new than take a chance on getting injured or worse.

Well I am trying to look at the glass being half full, I paid 250.00 and I can sell it for at LEAST that much should I decide to sell. I am thinking about taking it back to the shop I bought it from the owner has a bunch of gunsmithing buddies that come in all the time to work on his guns .m44

Back
Top Bottom