Springfield Trapdoor Model 1884/88

I have had this for a while but am now just posting it up. I am in the process of casting 405 grain bullets for it and will start to reload for it this week.

The rifle is a nice model 1888 with the rod bayonet. Very good condition and very solid. Beautiful bore and the action is in excellent solid condition. The stock is is a field replacement with a unit marking.

I am really looking forward to shooting this. If any one has some favorite loads for 405 grain bullets using modern powder that would be low pressure for this old girl please let me know. Thanks. DSCF4471.JPG DSCF4473.JPG DSCF4475.JPG DSCF4480.JPG DSCF4501.JPG

Can't help with any load information. But I can say that I'm envious of the gun. Still looking for an affordable Rod Bayonet version for myself.

I load mine with a 405 over 12grs of Red Dot nice mild load fun to shoot and easy on the gun.

I'm very curious about smokeless powder in old trapdoors. I never thought it was a option, I have only used pure lead 405 grain bullets with the black powder carbine load. I will have to start reading up on it.

Im sure you know this but I'll say it anyways, when reading 45/70 load data, there are 3 loads. One for "any firearm in good condition" like your trapdoor, then a second for Marlin lever action 45/70's and the like, then a third for custom bolt actions and Ruger No1. All are loaded to different pressure levels.

I'm considering picking one of these up, but am not into reloading, doing some googling it seems there is a brand Ten-X ammo (who knows if I could find it around here) that people use, anyone here have any experience with commercial rounds in an 1884?

Remington use to make light loads for the trapdoor. I think I still have a box in my safe.I will take a look and see what they are.

Range report is not good. Rounds were all over the place and keyholing. I am not sure why. I loaded up 405 grain bullets with 11 grains of Red dot with a COL as prescribed in the book, which is a lot shorter than the vintage round I have. I also slugged the bore.. it is .458 and my bullets were sized to .459. The bore is bright and shiney with no wear shown.

This is all new to me.. assuming it is not he bore.. is it the short COL, the very light load????

probably the load. You should try some factory type loads. Ultramax makes them for Trapdoors and they shoot well. Also M&M Reloads which I believe is out of Maine makes some for Trapdoors too using new Starline brass. They worked well in my 1884 too.

I'm pretty glad I just ran into this thread, I just might be picking up an 1884 in really good shape (in my opinion) next week at a reasonable price. Please update if you find a load that works well, and any experience with commercial loads!

Back
Top Bottom