Unusual 'Tiger stripe' like wood on 1888 Springfield Trapdoor w/Ramrod .... ?

Could be maple, might have been replaced at some point, could be beach or birch ?
Not to mention that there where wood workers then and now who knew how to bring out the grain.
Need some more pics.

Not sure if it's correctly called a 1884 Trapdoor w/RRB or a 'M84'. The serial # would indicate it's among one of the last produced.

Attachments

• tempImageRELfsu.png
    tempImageRELfsu.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
  • tempImageM6X0b5.png
    tempImageM6X0b5.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • tempImage2Fz3Ho.png
    tempImage2Fz3Ho.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • tempImageTd5fCO.png
    tempImageTd5fCO.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • tempImageeERwum.png
    tempImageeERwum.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • tempImagedEkNRU.png
    tempImagedEkNRU.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • tempImage46cg4x.png
    tempImage46cg4x.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Did you buy that because it was designed the year you were born? :p

Just kidding buddy. Sweet rifle. I think that "striped" look is not that unusual. I googled images and even the wikipedia pic looked kinda tiger striped.
1642029490047.png

Tiger striped or not I took my rifle completely apart...some pics. Very odd firing pin, brass color....? Also what's the lone '8' stamped on the lock ?

Attachments

• tempImagesSCMrK.png
    tempImagesSCMrK.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • tempImagen4infL.png
    tempImagen4infL.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • tempImagev4pDhz.png
    tempImagev4pDhz.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • tempImagev342tA.png
    tempImagev342tA.png
    681.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
👍🏻 Want to make sure I do it right. Not positive if the finish is oil or varnish But I agree if done right it should look outstanding thanks Mac
Wish I had some advice for you.
Sometimes just a wipe with a warm dish soapy paper towel can be enough.
Take it for what its worth

For shooter value guns I often just use diluted simple green or purple power and cheese cloth for getting crud off.

The color of the firing pin is probably oxide from the hardening process.

That '8' is actually the 'S' from 'US' ... the 'U' is worn away.

The finish should be linseed oil. From your photos I'd say your rifle has a coat of wax applied.

Last edited:
Don't need a magnet to tell if it's Brass and Al....it is.
I'm a bit stumped about if the firing pin assembly ,I miked it a .250" diameter spring length. I think it fell out when cleaning the barrel & receiver but not 100%...lol
Help [smile]
PS: it may have been forward of the firing pin...or got left during the pin changetempImageaKGEBG.png

That bronze pin shouldn't use a spring. It doesn't have the shoulder cut for one.
Apparently the springs had a tendency to break and were deemed unnecessary.

That bronze pin shouldn't use a spring. It doesn't have the shoulder cut for one.
Apparently the springs had a tendency to break and were deemed unnecessary.
I just found out that the 'extra' spring that came out of the breech was a broken shell ejector spring, not a firing pin spring. Found one on e-Bay...Thanks

I think I done on my 1884...Besides a cleaning and a close parts inspection I'm done with this puppy. I was surprised by the build quality, after 136 years the only thing if found was a broken shell extractor spring which was replaced.

Going to classifieds
tempImagequsWiy.pngtempImagequsWiy.pngtempImage1V38I2.pngtempImageHSQsD4.pngtempImageY5vZz1.pngtempImage2Jc69y.pngtempImagefZNYUh.png

Back
Top Bottom