Kalamazoo, Sheriff vs knife attacker

Maybe some day they will have something that reliably puts people to sleep within a second or two of deployment, but not today.
d923a26e-f024-4aac-909e-2680f8564f08_text.gif

I'm not a cop, and know they are trained to shoot center mass, but maybe a "warning" shot would have been appropriate.
Knee cap the kid? Maybe shoot him in the foot?
Meanwhile, over on NortheastKickers.com...

Police officers in Georgia shot an ax-wielding man with beanbags as he neared people at a car dealership Saturday, they say. The man was suspected of stealing an ax and a hatchet from a store on Cobb Parkway in Marietta on Saturday afternoon, according to the Marietta Police Department. When officers confronted the suspect, police said he ignored them and kept walking away. He then changed his grip on the ax and hatchet “like he was going to use them to attack,” police said.

Read more at: https://www.centredaily.com/news/nation-world/national/article254728852.html#storylink=cpy

Was this an example of suicide by cop? This guy was just provoking the cop up until the bang sound.

absolutely suicide by cop. The event leading to it proves just that. If he truly meant harm he would have charged and called it a day. You can clearly see the hesitation on the perps side. Clearly conflicted with his decision to go forward with his intend.

Police officers in Georgia shot an ax-wielding man with beanbags as he neared people at a car dealership Saturday, they say. The man was suspected of stealing an ax and a hatchet from a store on Cobb Parkway in Marietta on Saturday afternoon, according to the Marietta Police Department. When officers confronted the suspect, police said he ignored them and kept walking away. He then changed his grip on the ax and hatchet “like he was going to use them to attack,” police said.

Read more at: https://www.centredaily.com/news/nation-world/national/article254728852.html#storylink=cpy

Don’t get me wrong, the guy needed help and this is a most unfortunate outcome. However, the second word in your statement makes all the difference; officers.
Never mind that the ax wielding man was walking away from them but I keep going back to this officer being alone and pulling up to a man immediately approaching him and making lunging motions with a knife. Zero time for backup to arrive, zero time to get nonlethal out of the trunk or even unhook a riot gun from inside the cruiser. Once the officer was out of the vehicle there was no taking his focus off the threat. That’s what a partner or backup could have been doing but this all unfolded very quickly.

I agree with you that if there is the chance and manpower to get less-lethal implements involved they absolutely should do so. Just as they did with Mr. axe in your example. It’d be folly however, to expect that from a one-on-one situation like the one this thread is built on.

I am not saying the cop didn't do the right thing,I would have done the same thing.
What bothers me is that's the only option they have today for this.
There are other options and they have been used many times when the situation allows it , they just didn't make the "If it bleeds it leads" 6 o'clock news.
One cop alone ?
I don't think "Pardon me old chap would you be terribly kind and allow me to retrieve the less lethal option from the trunk of my car whist not stabbing me to death ? There's a good lad ." is going to work out real well.

Officers plural... there was one guy on the scene here... would you rather have read cop stabbed after mentally challenged suspect fails to go down from tazer. Less than lethal usually isn't deployed solo

Why would you keep it in the trunk
I would think driving around with a shotgun loaded with bean bags slung over your shoulder , a net gun , a pepper ball gun and a long range tazer strapped to you somewhere would make movement a bit difficult.
Standard non lethal load out.
1633565558793.png
One of those damn things might stop him before he closes 15 feet and jams a knife in your throat.

I understand the guy might have had mental issues and that's a shame.
I also don't ever recall anyone in law enforcement or even non law enforcement for that matter required to sign a suicide pact to avoid ending some knife welding psycho though .

It's difficult to conceive of how fast it all goes down.
Split seconds.
The only reason I'm here to type this was having youth , speed and training, plus a thick leather jacket going for me at the time.
I still ended up with a lovely wound that took twenty eight stitches to close.
If I hadn't of spun out to the side it would have been directly to the chest.
"Oh shit, Knife", to cut all in a heartbeat.
I'm old a lame now , I see a knife and someone is getting their head canoed

Why would you keep it in the trunk

The less-lethal? I believe it’s in the trunk because it’s a secondary option. If you were riding around as a popo, answering all manner of calls, I believe (my own opinion) I’d want my sidearm on me and a long gun or riot gun next to me. Less lethal comes out when it can come out and when the situation allows for it. If I roll up to an active shooter I don’t think anyone would want to have to go to the trunk for a rifle (though I believe many rifles are stored in trunks) if there is an option to have a long gun riding up front.

Again, by one’s self and needing immediate firepower, versus part of a team and having time to fetch less lethal. If a cop has time to go to the trunk and grab less lethal, it’s because someone already has lethal force trained on them, escalation of force and what not.

Back
Top Bottom