Kahr PM9 or Sig 938, which would you choose?

I'm trying to make this same decision. Could the safety design be their way of saying you really don't want to use this, but we had to put one on.?

Back from the range. Put 200 flawless rounds of a couple different types through it. Not one hiccup. Wore it all day and completely forgot it was there. I've been carrying for 20+ years, and have never been able to say that.

I've never been a fan of safety's on DAO pistols and l will never use it on this one.

Glad you are happy with the Kahr. It has one of the best DA triggers I have felt. I think mine was just a hair over 5# from the factory. What I like about the Sig is that it has alot of similar parts to a 1911. This means I can modify how crisp the trigger is, and the trigger pull #.

Glad you are happy with the Kahr. It has one of the best DA triggers I have felt. I think mine was just a hair over 5# from the factory. What I like about the Sig is that it has alot of similar parts to a 1911. This means I can modify how crisp the trigger is, and the trigger pull #.

I don't have a 1911 yet, but that will be my next purchase. I may be more comfortable with that set up (cocked and locked) once I've become more familiar with it. I'll be looking for advice on that purchase also, but leaning heavily towards Smith & Wesson SW1911SC E-Series.

I'll go with the Kahr PM9 (free state version). I owned both, had a problem out-of-the-box with the P938 (hogue grip blackout version). The 938 is not the tame 238 that I enjoy.

The sights were so far off (low) from 15 feet it wouldn't hit on paper on an NRA pistol target, from a locked bench rest. Called Sig, they argued with me and eventually said that I could, maybe I GUESS, send it in for review, but if it's not found to be wrong, I pay for the gunsmiths + tester time to review the brand new unit at $100-150 + shipping both ways.

Kahr on the other hand, I called when I got my PM9. one of the magazine lips on the mags was bent inward and not functioning. Without any question they sent me another stainless mag body next-day-air.

For me sometimes it's not just about the firearm, but how they stand behind it too.

Had the PM9...............for a few weeks,the free state trigger has a harder pull than the Mass version. man that trigger sucked bad. Best small carry size wise but i couldnt trust my life with that trigger.

There is no difference between the ma and and the free state triggers.

It's not a bad trigger, it's just not what most people expect from a striker fired pistol... It is much mor like a smooth DA revolver trigger that a striker fired pistol. I hate the MA pm9 as the safety is where my thumb wants to sit.

The pm9 is easily the most accurate pocket pistol I have ever shot. The downside IMHO is the fact that Kahr claims they need "break in" of 200 plus rounds. That is BS in my mind. My pm9 had one magazine that would not drop free from the factory. Kahr replaced it. I then had 3 broken followers in magazines. Kahr replaced them. I did shoot a fair amount of rounds through my pm9 before selling and I only had 2 failures, but they were both within the break in period. Overall, I would recommend the PM9 as an overall good firearm. You make certain concessions when getting a pocket gun, pm9 minimizes what you have to give up.

I have zero interest in the sig 238 or the 938. Having a cocked hammer in your pocket screams to have something get stuck where it doesn't belong preventing the gun from functioning when you need it. The safety is small. The trigger pull on many of the 238 is actually heavier than the pm9, even though it's SA. Consistency in QC when looking through a batch of sigs is amazingly bad.

I ended up with a glock 26, but that is not in the same category of firearm.

It's not a bad trigger, it's just not what most people expect from a striker fired pistol... It is much mor like a smooth DA revolver trigger that a striker fired pistol. I hate the MA pm9 as the safety is where my thumb wants to sit.

The pm9 is easily the most accurate pocket pistol I have ever shot. The downside IMHO is the fact that Kahr claims they need "break in" of 200 plus rounds. That is BS in my mind. My pm9 had one magazine that would not drop free from the factory. Kahr replaced it. I then had 3 broken followers in magazines. Kahr replaced them. I did shoot a fair amount of rounds through my pm9 before selling and I only had 2 failures, but they were both within the break in period. Overall, I would recommend the PM9 as an overall good firearm. You make certain concessions when getting a pocket gun, pm9 minimizes what you have to give up.

I have zero interest in the sig 238 or the 938. Having a cocked hammer in your pocket screams to have something get stuck where it doesn't belong preventing the gun from functioning when you need it. The safety is small. The trigger pull on many of the 238 is actually heavier than the pm9, even though it's SA. Consistency in QC when looking through a batch of sigs is amazingly bad.

i carry a glock 26, but never in a pocket. its too fat and prints horribly. Get the PM9 because is doesn't require a safety like the single action sig 238/938 does. Wish i could find a good pocket gun. I think the pm9 is too big to pocket carry?

when i had mine i emailed Kahr and asked about the trigger diff on one with a safety and they guy told me that the trigger pull on one without a safety has a heaver pull , but minute.

Last edited:
Single action with safety is not ideal for CCW - double action is the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Both you and he where incorrect. The weight is the same
your correct, i just checked my old email from Kahr, they said the pounds of pull is at 7.5 but the length is------

1/4 length of pull for the safety version and the free state was a 3/8 pull . the trigger on the one with a safety is called an Enhanced trigger.

Had the PM9...............for a few weeks,the free state trigger has a harder pull than the Mass version. man that trigger sucked bad. Best small carry size wise but i couldnt trust my life with that trigger.

Your gun was broken, I've fired lots of those guns (both MA crap version and the free state version) and never noticed anything anomalous about the trigger. It probably would have been worth sending it to Kahr to get it fixed instead of dumping the gun.

-Mike

your correct, i just checked my old email from Kahr, they said the pounds of pull is at 7.5 but the length is------

1/4 length of pull for the safety version and the free state was a 3/8 pull . the trigger on the one with a safety is called an Enhanced trigger.

Correct.... And "enhanced" is probably a stretch as well. The MA trigger has a 1/8" shorter trigger pull ( even that is pretty generous, as it's not actually that much ) problem with that being a real benefit is that both triggers have all of the weight of the trigger pull in the 1st 1/8 - 3/16 of the trigger pull.

My free state trigger was under 6.5 pounds.

Your gun was broken, I've fired lots of those guns (both MA crap version and the free state version) and never noticed anything anomalous about the trigger. It probably would have been worth sending it to Kahr to get it fixed instead of dumping the gun.

-Mike
nothing was wrong with it.It was almost like an LC9, except smooth. I didnt like the long trigger thats all. And why do people call The Mass version a "crap" version? because it has a safety? Never bothered me, but i dont have Big Paws either.

Last edited:
If I go with the PM9, I would keep the safety off also.

Mostly weight and size. I've got a couple Mitch Rosen belts and holsters, and a PJs holster. I've been carrying IWB at 4pm for 15+ years, and recently came to realize that I don't much like carrying there. I've been appendix carrying for the past few months in a bellyband and like that much better. The K9 is a bit large for appendix carry IMO. I also would like to try one of the newer style holsters, such as N82, or crossbreed. Those might also help.

I just got a mass version of a pm9 and pocket carry it in a stoner holster everyday. Personally, if I carry iwb I prefer to carry something bigger like my 26 appendix. With that said, I just ordered a mic holster from glocktech for the pm9 that I use appendix as well. No bulk, moves with me and is as comfortable as can be. I also have a n82 holster that works for appendix carry as well but is a little too bulky for my liking. With that said, I have appendix carried in the n82 with no problem. My advice would be to try the mic holster for 20 bucks and see if that works for you. If not, the n82 is great and very comfortable day in and day out.

As for the p938, it's a great gun. I used to have a 238 and loved the gun itself but never liked the idea of cocked and locked with no grip safety pointing at the family jewels. Just my opinion, but honestly you can't go wrong with either. I've shot the 938 plenty and despite it not being my choice for appendix itd still high on my list of guns to buy. Goodluck with the gun-hunt!

These are all very good points. I'm not a huge fan of safeties on defensive pistols either.

My primary carry is the Kahr K9, which is DAO.

... The safety is a non-issue. It stays off and is forgotten.

The PM9 is safe to carry with the safety off, and considering how small that safety is, I'd carry it with the safety off. ...

... I've never been a fan of safety's on DAO pistols and l will never use it on this one.

If you have a gun with a safety, but do not turn it on, do you have to practice as though it were on anyhow, in case it accidentally got turned on? It would SUCK if you went to use it and the safety got turned on. They can accidentally get turned on just as easily as off, I would guess.

Last edited:
The PM9's safety is rather small and stiff. Pretty hard to get accidentally turned on. Very different from a 1911 safety.

It aint all that easy to turn it on on purpose either, imo. The safety switch has a sharp edge and a rounded edge. You hit the sharp edge to take it off safe, thats relatively easy. You hit the rounded edge to put it back on safe and thats not so easy.

Oh and btw, thats what she said! (couldnt resist[laugh])

I was looking at both firearms a few months back and ended up going with the 938. I have no problem carrying it cocked and locked and find the safety easy to flick down with my trigger hand thumb in my normal shooting grip. Still find myself wanting a pm9 though, maybe the real answer is just to own both? [smile]

After reading all the comments and seeing that the OP has made his choice I'll add my 2 cents...and that's all it's worth. Everything I have or have had has been of "free state" origin.

I've never owned or shot the Sig 938 but I love shooting 1911s (I know the 938 is not a 1911) and enjoy the single action trigger and the history of the weapon.

I have or have owned over a dozen Sigs with manufacture dates ranging from 1985 to 2012 and never had a single problem with any of them that was not ammo or mag related regardless of their vintage (10s of thousands of rounds fired...some more than others...P6, P225, P239, P226, P245, P220C, P220). All DA/SA. Love/loved every one of them.

I have owned or do own a few of the Kahr "Micros" (PM9, MK9, CM9) which, if I were to pocket carry, it would be in a coat or jacket pocket. Many thousands of rounds fired.

All of my Kahrs have what is called the "Elite" trigger. An extremely smooth, consistent trigger that I love. Also, they disappear when carrying them IWB and cause no (that's ZERO) discomfort while I go about my business all day long. They are all accurate shooters and reliable. Save for one bad mag I have not had any problems with any of them and since I rotate mags freely I am confident with them at all times.

My only advice to the OP might have been to look at the less expensive CM9 if it has been cleared in the Republic. Otherwise...good choice, enjoy your fine new pistol.

Last edited:
Love my PM9, almost traded it for a 238 and glad I didn't. Have no problem hitting paper at 50 ft but the grip is small. The 7 round pinky extension mag helps but it's hard to hide it in pocket. I carry my mass version with the safety off, I'm left handed so it's impossible to manipulate
9707e9ebccaac079b4430516ac0dcb25.jpg

My only advice to the OP might have been to look at the less expensive CM9 if it has been cleared in the Republic. Otherwise...good choice, enjoy your fine new pistol.

Yeah, I did look for for CM9 but not very hard. Not very easy to find in Mass.

I was able to pick up the pm9 for $700 with night sights. I've had it for a while now and still really like it. It shoots great and is very easy to carry. I appendix carry in a PJ Kydex holster with a j-hook and it just disappears. The j-hook makes it breeze to put on/take off, and it doesn't weigh anything, so you don't need a gun belt - which I find can be uncomfortable.

- - - Updated - - -

The 7 round pinky extension mag helps but it's hard to hide it in pocket.

That mag fits nicely in the watch pocket. I carry mine that way as a back up.

Yeah, I did look for for CM9 but not very hard. Not very easy to find in Mass.

I was able to pick up the pm9 for $700 with night sights. I've had it for a while now and still really like it. It shoots great and is very easy to carry. I appendix carry in a PJ Kydex holster with a j-hook and it just disappears. The j-hook makes it breeze to put on/take off, and it doesn't weigh anything, so you don't need a gun belt - which I find can be uncomfortable.

- - - Updated - - -

That mag fits nicely in the watch pocket. I carry mine that way as a back up.

I find that rounds make their way out of the mag when it is in my watch pocket. I usually carry the PM9 in summer so mags go in a leather man case in my cargo pocket of my shorts. Pocket carry for the gun

Winter carry I have my Sig 2022 IWB

Last edited:
Love my PM9, almost traded it for a 238 and glad I didn't. Have no problem hitting paper at 50 ft but the grip is small. The 7 round pinky extension mag helps but it's hard to hide it in pocket. I carry my mass version with the safety off, I'm left handed so it's impossible to manipulate
9707e9ebccaac079b4430516ac0dcb25.jpg

Your safety's on.

Back
Top Bottom