Kahr PM9 or Sig 938, which would you choose?

MarkT

NES Member
I'm looking to purchase a new compact 9mm for EDC. I have a Kahr K9, but want something smaller and lighter. Would you choose the PM9 or the P938. Why?

I'm leaning heavily towards the P938.

Thanks.

PM9 all day long and twice on Sunday. The 938 is single action and has a small safety lever. I don't think that safety lever is large enough to use easily.

While the MA approved PM9 also has a small safety lever, it is a striker fired gun with a long trigger pull so you can just leave the safety off.

Finally, SIG quality control has been in the crapper for some time.

Go with the kahr. You already have one, are familiar with the trigger pull etc, and you don't actually need to use the safety on the kahr like you do on the SIG.

If you are torn between the two, than why not just keep the one you already have?

One thing I will point out. For me, the Kahr PM9 (and others of similar size) is a pocket gun. It is small and short, making harder to shoot quickly and accurately, due to its shorter sight radios and short grip. The reason to accept those drawbacks is because it is small enough and light enough to fit in a pocket. But if I'm going to carry in a holster on my belt, then I can easily carry something that is bigger and easier to shoot. It isn't any harder to conceal your K9 in a belt holster than to conceal a PM9 in a belt holster.

glock or 1911? Do you like SAO, carry in position 1 and a thumb safety or do you like DAO or DA/SA guns? The comparison is not 100%, but for me it is close enough. I carry 1911s and P238/938s depending on the situation. I have no interest in carrying PM9, G26, M&P Shield, etc. I will use a G17, M&P, or similar for shooting IDPA or similar, but that is different.

I have a free-state PM9 (no external safety) and a p238 (which is pretty close to the p938 but in .380 instead of 9mm.) I don't really like SAO or external safeties on defensive guns, but that is of course a personal preference. I carry the PM9 a lot, the p238 mostly lives in my safe.

Had the PM9...............for a few weeks,the free state trigger has a harder pull than the Mass version. man that trigger sucked bad. Best small carry size wise but i couldnt trust my life with that trigger.

Had the PM9...............for a few weeks,the free state trigger has a harder pull than the Mass version. man that trigger sucked bad. Best small carry size wise but i couldnt trust my life with that trigger.

Odd. I think the trigger is quite decent for a striker-fired pistol. It isn't a 1911 trigger, but more like a revolver trigger.

Odd. I think the trigger is quite decent for a striker-fired pistol. It isn't a 1911 trigger, but more like a revolver trigger.

Mine isn't bad at all. About the same travel but less weight than my j-frame.

PM9 all day long and twice on Sunday. The 938 is single action and has a small safety lever. I don't think that safety lever is large enough to use easily.

While the MA approved PM9 also has a small safety lever, it is a striker fired gun with a long trigger pull so you can just leave the safety off.

This +100% I love my PM9. I'm a big advocate of carry guns without safeties that have to be disengaged.

I haven't shot either but since the P938 is fairly new and the PM9 has a solid track record I would go with the Kahr. However, neither of them are a Glock. My choice would be a G26. Especially, since a P938 will probably run you $700.

I was curious so I weighed the trigger on my 100% stock free state PM9 using a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. The range was from 5 lb 3 oz to 5 lb 7 oz. Not what I would consider heavy.

Thanks for all the comments.

Go with the kahr. You already have one, are familiar with the trigger pull etc, and you don't actually need to use the safety on the kahr like you do on the SIG.

This +100% I love my PM9. I'm a big advocate of carry guns without safeties that have to be disengaged.

These are all very good points. I'm not a huge fan of safeties on defensive pistols either.

One thing I will point out. For me, the Kahr PM9 (and others of similar size) is a pocket gun. It is small and short, making harder to shoot quickly and accurately, due to its shorter sight radios and short grip. The reason to accept those drawbacks is because it is small enough and light enough to fit in a pocket. But if I'm going to carry in a holster on my belt, then I can easily carry something that is bigger and easier to shoot. It isn't any harder to conceal your K9 in a belt holster than to conceal a PM9 in a belt holster.

I'm not a huge fan of pocket carry. I bought a Seecamp this year only to discover that that isn't really a good carry option for me. If I can't swing it with a Seecamp, then I definitely won't be able to pocket carry the PM9 or P938. Since pocket carry is out, I want to step up to a smaller 9mm than my Kahr K9. I'm hoping that one of these will be easier to carry than the K9. Granted, the K9 is small and relatively easy to conceal, buts it is big enough that I don't carry every day - which I should. Both of these pistols are about 10 oz lighter than the K9 - hopefully that makes them easier to carry.

glock or 1911? Do you like SAO, carry in position 1 and a thumb safety or do you like DAO or DA/SA guns? The comparison is not 100%, but for me it is close enough. I carry 1911s and P238/938s depending on the situation. I have no interest in carrying PM9, G26, M&P Shield, etc. I will use a G17, M&P, or similar for shooting IDPA or similar, but that is different.

My primary carry is the Kahr K9, which is DAO. The only single action pistol that I own is a Ruger MK II, which obviously isn't a defensive pistol. I do like single action triggers, but do not have any difficulty shooting DAO. I don't own a 1911, but do plan to purchase one in the near future.

I haven't shot either but since the P938 is fairly new and the PM9 has a solid track record I would go with the Kahr. However, neither of them are a Glock. My choice would be a G26. Especially, since a P938 will probably run you $700.

I can't get into the styling of Glock pistols.

As you might guess from my handle, I don't have any problem carrying a gun with a safety - provided the safety is properly located and generously sized so that you can operate it easily. The safety on the 938 is in the right place but it appears to me that it is too small to be used easily.

As you might guess from my handle, I don't have any problem carrying a gun with a safety - provided the safety is properly located and generously sized so that you can operate it easily. The safety on the 938 is in the right place but it appears to me that it is too small to be used easily.

I love my PM9. The only knock I'd have is that Kahr designed the safety to function in the exact OPPOSITE as a 1911. Which annoys me to no end considering I have and carry both.

I love my PM9. The only knock I'd have is that Kahr designed the safety to function in the exact OPPOSITE as a 1911. Which annoys me to no end considering I have and carry both.

The PM9 is safe to carry with the safety off, and considering how small that safety is, I'd carry it with the safety off. My PM9 is a free-state edition with no safety.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not a huge fan of pocket carry. I bought a Seecamp this year only to discover that that isn't really a good carry option for me. If I can't swing it with a Seecamp, then I definitely won't be able to pocket carry the PM9 or P938. Since pocket carry is out, I want to step up to a smaller 9mm than my Kahr K9. I'm hoping that one of these will be easier to carry than the K9. Granted, the K9 is small and relatively easy to conceal, buts it is big enough that I don't carry every day - which I should. Both of these pistols are about 10 oz lighter than the K9 - hopefully that makes them easier to carry.

What is causing the K9 to be hard to carry? Are you using a good holster and belt? Is the problem the weight or printing?

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't shot either but since the P938 is fairly new and the PM9 has a solid track record I would go with the Kahr. However, neither of them are a Glock. My choice would be a G26.

The Glock 26 is a fine gun, but it is too big for a pocket because it is a fat little pig. If the OP is having trouble concealing a thin K9, I doubt the fat Glock 26 would be the answer.

The PM9 is safe to carry with the safety off, and considering how small that safety is, I'd carry it with the safety off. My PM9 is a free-state edition with no safety.

- - - Updated - - -

What is causing the K9 to be hard to carry? Are you using a good holster and belt? Is the problem the weight or printing?

- - - Updated - - -

The Glock 26 is a fine gun, but it is too big for a pocket because it is a fat little pig. If the OP is having trouble concealing a thin K9, I doubt the fat Glock 26 would be the answer.

If I go with the PM9, I would keep the safety off also.

Mostly weight and size. I've got a couple Mitch Rosen belts and holsters, and a PJs holster. I've been carrying IWB at 4pm for 15+ years, and recently came to realize that I don't much like carrying there. I've been appendix carrying for the past few months in a bellyband and like that much better. The K9 is a bit large for appendix carry IMO. I also would like to try one of the newer style holsters, such as N82, or crossbreed. Those might also help.

I've found the Crossbreed to be remarkably more comfortable than expensive, high-quality IWB leather holsters. I agree the butt is a bit long for appendix carry. I've tried appendix carry with my Glock 23 and it just prints too much.

If you check the Kahr website on specs, the one with the safety has an easier trig. I didnt think the trigger was hard it was too long for me especially with such a small pistol. It's like i was waiting, waiting then bang. It wasnt the pounds of pull it was the length of it. I want my trig as fast as i can get it there. It may work for others but not me. And for the safety that some dont like, well an easy way is just dont use them. I have never used a safety when i carry..Especially the G26...Oh wait there isnt one....I liked the concealment, style/finish, grouping at 25 feet was almost perfect and very well made.

Last edited:
938 all day, I prefer 1911 trigger over rubber band long trigger pull, accurate easy to shoot, good feel in hand with mag ext. Safety not an issue and I'm a Glock guy most of the time.

I ended up going with the PM9. On my way to the range to break it in. Thanks for your input.

-Mark

Sig IMO. I had the PM9... Great gun and great trigger. If you want to use the safety, it is too small and moves in the opposite direction of most guns.

I carry the Sig P238 (not the 938 but virtually same gun) and love it. We can put the safety lever being too small to bed. It easily flicks on and off like a 1911. The nice part is you can adjust the trigger like a 1911. I have done trigger jobs on 3 (including mine). All the triggers were heavy and varied significantly from the factory. One was 7.5#, 9#, and 10#. Mine is set @ 4.5#'s now, and the other two are at 5-5.5lbs per the owners requests. All three are smooth and break lie glass after I worked them over.

Sig IMO. I had the PM9... Great gun and great trigger. If you want to use the safety, it is too small and moves in the opposite direction of most guns.

I'm trying to make this same decision. Could the safety design be their way of saying you really don't want to use this, but we had to put one on.?

Back
Top Bottom