• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kahr P9

So, I had a P9 a few years back. The one thing that was great about it was how accurate I was with it. I'd like to know if those who have or had one still favor it.

Thanks

So, I had a P9 a few years back. The one thing that was great about it was how accurate I was with it. I'd like to know if those who have or had one still favor it.

Thanks

I carried a P9 for a long time, probably 10 years. About a year ago I started carrying the P365 and then about 4 months ago I switched to the P365XL and I’m very happy. I basically ended up back with a pistol similar in size to the P9 but with a 12+1 capacity and a better trigger. If you are thinking about going back to a P9 take a look at the P365XL.

Thanks JRT, I did see the 365XL, a lot nicer than the 365. Of course having an accurate gun that holds 8 rds is better than a gun not so accurate holding 12 rds.

Thanks JRT, I did see the 365XL, a lot nicer than the 365. Of course having an accurate gun that holds 8 rds is better than a gun not so accurate holding 12 rds.

I found the P365XL just came up better doing live fire and dry fire. It doesn’t make sense but it suited me way better than the P365.

Had one, sold one. It was a fun shooter and yes, pretty darn accurate but I found myself taking a larger gun to the range like my HK P30L or a smaller gun for carry. Just didn't fit into my POU.

I have a love/hate relationship with my P9. It was one of the first guns I purchased along with a used Shield 9mm. I love the size for a subcompact single stack. A bit more of a grip length than the Shield, but about the same overall dimensions. Feels good in my hands and I love the shape of the trigger shoe. I like how smooth the trigger is, even if it is long as hell. I think it makes me more accurate as I'm less prone to flinch at the wall. I like the simplicity of the design. Single slide stop/takedown.

However, I don't like the lack of tactile reset. It's there, but easy to miss. Sometimes the trigger smoothness, which I do like, is also a minus when I can't predict the wall (like with gloves on). I don't like how light the pistol is. It's like 15 ounces empty. That like half the weight of a loaded G19. Makes for a snappy feel when compared to others in its class. I hate the magazine/magazine well design. Rounds nose dive easily in the magazines and the pistol doesn't always drop them free. I upgraded to metal followers and that did improve the nose diving issue.

About a year or two ago there was grumbling about a second gen P9 coming out with a much improved trigger. Heard it was classic Kahr smooth, but with shorter travel and more tactile wall/reset. Even saw a photo of a prototype that showed a Glock style trigger inertia safety. They never did release it though. Customer service told me it was a problem with the new trigger design. I'd take that as either reliability or safety issue (or both). I would have been onboard had they release it.

Back
Top Bottom