"Click." Sig P938 Fail To Fire issue.

Took my EDC (Sig P938) to the range last week. Typically, I shoot .22LR through it with the Sig conversion kit to practice with the actual frame and a similarly sized slide without the cost of the 9mm defense ammo. However, as it's been 6 months since I shot 9mm in it and since the magazine with the 9mm defense rounds had been in and out of the gun multiple times, I figured I'd run through the carry loads plus some range ammo, then replace the carry loads with fresh rounds.

Up to the line, draw from the holster, thumb the safety down, pull the trigger, and ............. "Click."

Damn. Tap, rack, pull the trigger. Click.

WTF? Look at the ejected round, not a mark on the primer.

Put the .22 slide on, runs like a champ. Put the 9mm slide back on and "click", with pristine primers.

Broke it down at home, and found that there was a bit of crud keeping the firing pin block from dropping to release the pin. Washed it out with a bit of Hoppes, and it looks to be working fine now. Going to take it to the range this week to confirm that was the problem, then do a deep clean this weekend, and add pulling the firing pin every time I clean it (not on Sig's list of things to do when cleaning) to the list.

Kind of gives me the willies to think that I would have had the "click" if I ever needed to use it. Going from "working fine the last time I used it" to "paperweight" isn't a real confidence builder.

a 'click' at a range is kinda nicer than a 'ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta' and then glances at you from everyone else nearby. :)
I dunno, given the choice of the two in a need-to-use situation, and I'll go with the ta-tas.

Actually, going with the ta-tas should be the default in most situations.

Rat-tat-tat=tat-tat would be more fund if it was a suppressed Mk 23 but I guess you gotta take what you can get.

This is why I shake my head in disbelief every time someone posts a picture of their edc and it’s covered in grime and lint and they’re like mehhh it’s fine, it worked last year when I shot it.

Doesn’t take but 5 mins a month to field strip, inspect, wipe clean and put on some fresh oil.

Glad you found that at the range @Toast , good reminder for regular maintenance.

This is why I shake my head in disbelief every time someone posts a picture of their edc and it’s covered in grime and lint and they’re like mehhh it’s fine, it worked last year when I shot it.
That's why I leave my carry in the box. I just conceal the whole box and never worry about it getting dirty.

g19five-scaled.jpg

Jokes aside this reminds of that skit from Key and Peele about fresh hats -

View: https://youtu.be/5pKt4gaErvU?si=qszaTe0hykqqVDDk

Doesn’t take but 5 mins a month to field strip, inspect, wipe clean and put on some fresh oil.

Glad you found that at the range @Toast , good reminder for regular maintenance.
Mines filthy but it worked yesterday.

Every new pair of pants, new shirt, new whatever, makes more lint.

This is why striker fired are great for concealed carry.

I think it's pretty cost effective to fire off all the ammo you normally carry on you each time you're at the range. Unless you carry a really large load out, it isn't all that expensive. In my case, as a MA inmate, it's only 21 rounds (1 mag in the gun, 1 spare mag, 1 in the chamber). Keeps your carry ammo fresh and makes sure your EDC is functioning properly. And I actually enjoy cleaning my guns, so that's never an issue.

83jwoa.jpg

I like you so I do hope it works tomorrow if you need it. Lot of people post all kinds of excuses why it’s dirty or why they don’t have to clean it instead of just cleaning it.

I’m old (school) lol and my training had very harsh repercussion's if not done to certain standards so I’ll never be able to understand that.

Glad you figured out the gun didn't work in a range setting and not a real setting lol. Does anyone else test out your carry handguns by periodically clearing it and muzzle loading a pencil with the eraser tip towards the pin and pulling the trigger to function test?

I think it's pretty cost effective to fire off all the ammo you normally carry on you each time you're at the range. Unless you carry a really large load out, it isn't all that expensive. In my case, as a MA inmate, it's only 21 rounds (1 mag in the gun, 1 spare mag, 1 in the chamber). Keeps your carry ammo fresh and makes sure your EDC is functioning properly. And I actually enjoy cleaning my guns, so that's never an issue.
It's not the cost as much as it is a bitch to replace it. Most shops only sell 20rd "industry collusion for consumer rape" boxes of carry ammo often exceeding a buck a round.

Unless you don't trust your feed ramps with certain hollow point bullets, why waste carry ammo? Test it out the first range trip to see if it works and if it won't give you problems then, it won't give you problems ever. Just stick with whatever you decide. That said, back in my poorer days I did once own a POS Keltec P11 that would only feed ball no matter how much I polished the ramp.

I had a Colt Defender for my EDC. Also used it as a range gun. In a match one day and it went click. A friend of mine went through the gun with me, and it was my fault. I'd been fieldstripping and cleaning it, but never taking it all the way down - gunk on the firing pin.

Shortly thereafter I switched to striker fired guns, (Glocks), and having learned my lesson - clean them every couple hundred of rounds.

Runnin .22 without a very deep cleaning is the culprit. Gotta strip that slide as well.
Not in this case, as the .22 kit for the P938 is a complete slide and barrel assembly, not an insert for the 9mm setup. Running .22 does dirty up the frame and adds some work to regular cleaning, but has no effect on the 9mm slide where the clogging occurred.

I had a Colt Defender for my EDC. Also used it as a range gun. In a match one day and it went click. A friend of mine went through the gun with me, and it was my fault. I'd been fieldstripping and cleaning it, but never taking it all the way down - gunk on the firing pin.
Pretty much my case, but here the gunk was holding up the firing pin block, as opposed to the firing pin itself. The extractor holds the block up (keeping the firing pin from moving) until you pull the trigger and the extractor lowers. That allows the block to drop. In my case, it stayed up and prevented the firing pin from going forward.

For future cleanings, I'll be taking it down to include firing pin removal as well as standard field stripping. I likely won't be pulling the firing pin block out, however, as you need to remove the rear sight to do that. I will be flushing the block and the slide-side of its socket with solvent when I have the firing pin out.

1698089814585.png

Last edited:
To the OP, does sig still make a .22 conversion kit for the 938 ??
No, they've been out of production for a fair amount of time. You can occasionally find NIB or used ones on Gunbroker and the like, but they're at stupid levels of pricing nowadays.

There were 2 versions of the kit, one with a slide the same weight and length as the 9mm one (the one I have) and one that was longer with adjustable target sights. They also sold the slides with frames as a complete firearm. There are a couple online now, at stunningly high prices..

Last edited:
I had 2 938’s, one standard and one Legion. Both gave me just about every type of failure you could imagine. Accurate little pistol when it worked but every single mag I put through it would have some type of failure.

I had 2 938’s, one standard and one Legion. Both gave me just about every type of failure you could imagine. Accurate little pistol when it worked but every single mag I put through it would have some type of failure.
I've found the reliability of mine to be dependent upon my grip.

Never mind how often people even clean there magazines. I bet the military doesn't even teach anyone to clean them yet..

Back
Top Bottom