Kahr K9 trigger question

I just checked a couple of K9s that a fellow shooter I know has- one slightly older than mine (1997) another slightly newer. Neither of his have "overtravel" after the striker is fired and the slide comes back. His triggers stop at about 1/4" from the frame and doesn't come back any further when the slide cycles.

If I pull the trigger (and hold it with some force), once the firing pin/striker is released the trigger pulls back and stops about 1/4" from the frame (behind the trigger). What appears to prevent my trigger from pulling all the way to the frame is the cocking cam.. it can only move so far before the slide prevents it from moving up more. On mine though, once the slide starts coming back, the slide hits the trigger bar disconnector (which I think it should) which releases the cocking cam thus allowing my trigger to come all the back to the frame.

If I remove the slide from my gun, the trigger has no restriction of travel- it will come all the back to the frame. Is this normal? There must be a way to change it to the way these other two worked! The total travel on mine is ridiculous compared to either of his. Does anyone understand this?

(I PMed this person but thought others might have some insight into this as well)

Thanks!

I just checked mine. On both of them the rearmost trigger travel is the same with the slide on or off. There's a little spur on the right side of the trigger that contacts the frame. That seems to be the limiting factor for the trigger travel. I'll see if I can get a good photo of it tonight.

My K40 doesn't do that. At least I don't think it does... I'll have to check it now that you mention it...

DR said:
I just checked mine. On both of them the rearmost trigger travel is the same with the slide on or off. There's a little spur on the right side of the trigger that contacts the frame. That seems to be the limiting factor for the trigger travel. I'll see if I can get a good photo of it tonight.

Ahhhh. Yeah, mine defintely doesn't have a spur on the trigger. That would certainly explain this. I'll try to track down Kahr on this as well. I wonder if mine are the NYCPD triggers?

Thanks!

I checked two of mine. Both travel the same slide on or off. Neither has a spur on the trigger. Mine have the elite trigger (shorter travel than the standard trigger).

M1911 said:
I checked two of mine. Both travel the same slide on or off. Neither has a spur on the trigger. Mine have the elite trigger (shorter travel than the standard trigger).

With yours does the trigger come all the way back to the frame? I know the elite trigger reduces the total travel I was wondering if it does that by reducing the "end" of the stroke which would explain why mine goes all the way back.

I don't mean to hijack your thread.... but would the Elite trigger parts you mention fit my P9 (not that the trigger pull is all that bad for DAO)?

GTOShootr said:
I don't mean to hijack your thread.... but would the Elite trigger parts you mention fit my P9 (not that the trigger pull is all that bad for DAO)?

Your P9 already has them: all the polymer Kahrs come with that trigger. Its pull is just a wee bit shorter than the standard trigger on the steel Kahrs.

I just called Kahr- talked to Dottie. Sounds like my trigger is supposed to function like this so it's not like something is broke. Apparently they've made a few changes to triggers thru the years. Although she mentioned that the newer elite triggers shorten the throw and she thought it shorted it on the back end of the pull, she wasn't sure what an elite trigger install would do to mine. She gave me a contact of an engineer there that might be able to get me more info. I'll keep you posted.

What seems strange though is that DR and M1911's triggers seem to "function" in a similar fashion but M1911's K9 trigger doesn't seem to have this spur/bump on the trigger itself to limit the travel. M1911- do you know what "stops" your trigger from hitting the frame?

Ok- I just spoke with a gentleman at Kahr that really seems to understand the legacy of the K9s. Mine is a NY trigger (the only worse name would be Boston trigger) and it appears that everyone else's is an elite or some variant of the new trigger. The elite trigger has a metal "spur" or whatever it's called that will stop the trigger travel by hitting the frame. So indeed it's just the trigger that is different. DR- you must have 2 newer triggers on both yours somehow.

I have an elite trigger on order... now I'll have to determine whether or not to try it myself or send it to Karh. The engineer said I'd need a 1 ton press and if I screw up the frame the gun's toast... [thinking]

Lugnut said:
I have an elite trigger on order... now I'll have to determine whether or not to try it myself or send it to Karh. The engineer said I'd need a 1 ton press and if I screw up the frame the gun's toast... [thinking]

Yep, I'd be sending that baby out. I let my nephew borrow my 1 ton press and he broke it when he tride to bring it home on his BMX.

Here's a close up shot of the top of the trigger in its forward position. This is looking down into the trigger group from the left hand side. The spur has a circular plate behind it which has a hole for the pin on the trigger bar.

TriggerForward.jpg

Here's a shot with the trigger back. You can see the hole where the trigger bar connects to the trigger. It looks like it's actually the circular portion with that hole which contacts the frame. The spur is just a little shy of the frame.

TriggerBack.jpg

Thanks DR. Mine looks similar as well. I wonder if on yours it is the trigger bar that is probably stopping the trigger. If you look at the end of your trigger bar- part that the slide hits when cycling, I bet when your trigger is all the way back, the trigger bar is stopped by the frame just in front of the trigger bar/disconnector area.

I ordered a 1 ton press... so I just need the elite parts now. ;)

Back
Top Bottom