Just talking to someone who was DQ'd at the indoor nationals today...

ETA: The rules stating permitted modifications - inclusive list is clear enough to me. The terminology could be better, but once it's explained that mods on the list are allowed, no other mods are, it's pretty straightforward. There are plenty of weaknesses in the IDPA rulebook, but I don't think this is one.

A written rule, that is pretty strait forward, once its explained. Wow.................

I shot the S&W Winter nationals, winter Championships, Winter whatever you want to call them from 2000 to 2007. Skipped 08, went back in 09. It was always a great match. Rules were followed and enforced Consistently until my match in 09. The 2009 was the worse match I have ever been to. That is as far as I will go. I have made my feeling clear. I will NEVER shoot at S&W again in an IDPA match.

Now, that all said, don't go by what you "heard" as far as a DQ goes. Equipment rules are reasonable clear. Depending on division, you have mods that are allowed. My problem is how does it get let go for 1, 2, 3 or more stages then all of a sudden it is a problem? Last year, My Moon clip holders were moved by SOs on three different stages. They all had their own opinions. I did as I was asked but thought it was the most ridiculous attempt of micro managing I have ever seen.

To SUPERMOTO, IDPA does not have members. It has customers. IDPA is a for profit organization selling a product. The customer service sucks.

What do you expect? The whole sport was only created because a custom gunsmith realized HIS product was becoming obsolete in the sport he was competing in[rolleyes]

Unfortunately for the shooter, the MD probably made the right call here, unless the slide stop was extended stock, from the factory. I'm by no means an expert on this topic, and ESP slide stops aren't specifically excluded, but they're not on the list of allowed modifications, which seems to be what really matters. Slide stops in particular have had to be factory or bust.

I've heard more than a couple of DQs for this over the past few months I've actually followed IDPA.

Again, I'm not an expert, but there it is.

OK then i'm looking forward to someone showing me in the rules book which makes it a DQ... no i wasn't the shooter but was there,also the SO that brought it up wasn't even sure what he was calling ...nice guy maybe he'll give the shooter back his $ 135.00 .....the MD dropped the ball and did not make the right call but then again a safety brief that lasted less then 30 seconds (not kidding) after there was a unfortnate accident last year i would think it would be a top priority for the good of all shooters as a reminder that never hurts.

Interesting comment. Can someone explain in more detail?

I'm no expert, and I don't agree with Jay6, but Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat was one of the people who started IDPA. IDPA's CDP class was made, some would say, specifically so custom 1911s, like Wilson's, could win. But they don't anymore. I don't attribute bad-faith like Jay6 does.

The "Permitted Modification" list is inclusive. If it's not on that list, you can't do it. Extended slide stops is not on the list, but there's specifically an exception for Glocks.

IDPA does not do a good job updating their rules to be clear and cite-able. I agree there should be a rule that can be pointed at. But there isn't.

if there is a "not permitted" why do you need a permitted ?...seems to cause more unnessecary confusion

The problem with easy going local matches is when someone attends a major and now their equipment is not legal, they get upset. The rules need to be set in stone. If it is not good for a State, regional or National match, it should not be allowed at a local match. I see a lot of equipment violations let go in both action sports I shoot. There are videos posted here that show blatant violations. One shooter was at a match and had a D ring on his belt on one stage to hang a prop off. Didn't have it next stage. (USPSA) guess what? Rules violation. Once a year in IDPA local matches you should have to have your gun weighed and put in the box. That way you are sure you are within the rules before you pay a major match fee and get sent home.

Treating the customer on all levels with respect and courtesy is of the utmost importance. Helping them understand and follow the rules is the duty of every trained SO. Mr Nice guy is fun on the range but serves no purpose in teaching new shooters the proper way to play the game.

I see your point but clearly explaining to a shooter who spent alot of money and time at this match is not to much to ask . the MD dropped the ball from the start (thursday) he sent shooters all over the place which turned out to be the wrong bays and stages to start .There were some real good people there and most SO's nothing but friendly and clear on running there stages. I refuse to comment about the SO who called this so called infraction but think a long hard look into consistant handling of rules violations needs to take place . Safety should be a TOP priority and roll from there.

What do you expect? The whole sport was only created because a custom gunsmith realized HIS product was becoming obsolete in the sport he was competing in[rolleyes]

Not bad for someone who was probably 10 or 15 when IDPA started.

Your almost right, but Wilson actually was sponsering the top shooters in the country (TGO, ENOS, ( before Springfield Armory did) & MARK Mazzota) in the late 80's early 90's with state of the art COMP guns.

Compensated pistols got crazy when hi cap frames came along, (P9, Caspian MCormick/Tripp.STI, SVI whatever), around the same time (and because of) Limited class was born, but soon hi-caps where the thing to have there also.
Wilson did offer & sell hi cap race pistols.

The day of the single stack .45 / 38 super seemed to be over....(with or without a comp)

IDPA came out more as true warrior pistol craft, I doubt anyone, including Bill Wilson planned it all out as a ingenious business opportunity.
But, it did turn out that way.

Crappy shooter's like me, will always want the best possible equipment and I am willing to pay for it.
Big Name gunsmiths will always sell fantastic looking, reliable guns at stupid prices (and worth every penny) to schmucks like me, who just want to do the best I can......
(I really don't need the big name stuff, but Danny S isn't doing it FT anymore!)

IDPA came out more as true warrior pistol craft, I doubt anyone, including Bill Wilson planned it all out as a ingenious business opportunity.
The motivation for IDPA's formation occurred at a member's meeting at a USPSA nationals many years ago where vendor concerned about the then new 1994 ban asked in USPSA would have a place for traditional, not wide body, guns. USPSA president Andy Hollar delivered a rebuke (basically explaining that our members don't want such a thing so it's not happening) after which the reaction was functionally "well then, we'll form our own sport and won't let the members vote so we can be sure to get our way".

The initial prevailing attitude when the mag ban happened was either "I've got mine, if you don't have yours it's not my problem" or "high capacity is not an advantage, but don't you dare take away the high capacity advantage I paid big $$ to get". Thinking has evolved considerably since that time, and USPSA has evolved to the point of providing several divisions (Limited 10, Production, Single Stack, Revolver) where high capacity is not an advantage. If USPSA has been more pro-active about this back in 1994 IDPA may bever have come to be.

Last edited:
I have not competed in IDPA and probably won't because there are enough IPSC matches in the area to keep me occupied, but I have no axe to grind with IDPA. They have developed a reputation for being a bit "anal" as far as equipment rules and enforcement, and this is not necessarily a bad thing. IPSC Limited class was supposed to be a solution to the "arms race" but a lack of regulation allowed Limited guns to become just as pricey as their Open cousins. After witnessing this, I became much more amenable to close regulation of the equipment.

The problem here, as I see it, is not the rules but the way they were enforced. If match officials intend to examine pistols during the match to catch violations that would DQ the competitor, they should perform these checks PRIOR to the beginning of the match and give the competitor an opportunity to comply with these rules rather than be DQ'd later.

I have always believed that the responsibility of match officials is to run a safe match, a fair match, and also to do everything possible to make sure that each competitor finishes with a score, not a DNF or a DQ.

I have not competed in IDPA and probably won't because there are enough IPSC matches in the area to keep me occupied, but I have no axe to grind with IDPA. They have developed a reputation for being a bit "anal" as far as equipment rules and enforcement, and this is not necessarily a bad thing. IPSC Limited class was supposed to be a solution to the "arms race" but a lack of regulation allowed Limited guns to become just as pricey as their Open cousins. After witnessing this, I became much more amenable to close regulation of the equipment.

The problem here, as I see it, is not the rules but the way they were enforced. If match officials intend to examine pistols during the match to catch violations that would DQ the competitor, they should perform these checks PRIOR to the beginning of the match and give the competitor an opportunity to comply with these rules rather than be DQ'd later.

I have always believed that the responsibility of match officials is to run a safe match, a fair match, and also to do everything possible to make sure that each competitor finishes with a score, not a DNF or a DQ.
It was inspected, and handled during the first stage, and the DQ came much later. That is my biggest problem with it as well..

Last edited:
One thing that differentiates USPSA/IPSC from IDPA is the use of the DQ. A DQ in USPSA/IPSC is issued only for a safety violation or gross unsportsmanlike conduct. If your gun fails to meet the requirements of the division for which you have declared, you are moved to open (and no, you don't get your inspection before the match - but the rules are clear enough to understand). If you ammo does not meet the minimum power factor for minor you shoot for no score, but are not removed from the match. If you DQ, you're done shooting.

IDPA, on the other hand, issues actual DQs for non-safety equipment violations.

I prefer the USPSA approach since it uses DQs for a very specific purpose, and uses the scoring system to address equipment violations. Also, one can file an arbitration on an equipment call and continue shooting until the Match Director calls you to present your side of the case to the committee - something more problematic if you've been removed the the shooting lineup.

One thing that differentiates USPSA/IPSC from IDPA is the use of the DQ. A DQ in USPSA/IPSC is issued only for a safety violation or gross unsportsmanlike conduct. If your gun fails to meet the requirements of the division for which you have declared, you are moved to open (and no, you don't get your inspection before the match - but the rules are clear enough to understand). If you ammo does not meet the minimum power factor for minor you shoot for no score, but are not removed from the match. If you DQ, you're done shooting.

I prefer the USPSA approach since it uses DQs for a very specific purpose, and uses the scoring system to address equipment violations. Also, one can file an arbitration on an equipment call and continue shooting until the Match Director calls you to present your side of the case to the committee - something more problematic if you've been removed the the shooting lineup.

Now this all makes sense, unlike what happened...

I think it is our responability as shooters to know if our equipment is legal or not. We all recieved a rule book when we joined IDPA so we cannot claim ignorance. Anytime I have made modifications to my pistol I checked the rule book to remain complient. If a modification is made that is not on the permitted list for that particular division than its the shooter fault for not following the rules. This is just my opinion on the matter.

One thing that differentiates USPSA/IPSC from IDPA is the use of the DQ. A DQ in USPSA/IPSC is issued only for a safety violation or gross unsportsmanlike conduct.

And that's not the worst part - you're marched in front of your squad, the buttons are cut off your 5.11 vest and then you're drummed out of the match.

Not bad for someone who was probably 10 or 15 when IDPA started.

Your almost right, but Wilson actually was sponsering the top shooters in the country (TGO, ENOS, ( before Springfield Armory did) & MARK Mazzota) in the late 80's early 90's with state of the art COMP guns.

Compensated pistols got crazy when hi cap frames came along, (P9, Caspian MCormick/Tripp.STI, SVI whatever), around the same time (and because of) Limited class was born, but soon hi-caps where the thing to have there also.
Wilson did offer & sell hi cap race pistols.

The day of the single stack .45 / 38 super seemed to be over....(with or without a comp)

But, it did turn out that way.

Crappy shooter's like me, will always want the best possible equipment and I am willing to pay for it.
Big Name gunsmiths will always sell fantastic looking, reliable guns at stupid prices (and worth every penny) to schmucks like me, who just want to do the best I can......
(I really don't need the big name stuff, but Danny S isn't doing it FT anymore!)

Younger than that but I am wise beyond my years[smile]

Guys- in IDPA if you have a non-safety violation as in this case you ARE allowed to shoot... although your score won't count- they don't have an OPEN division to move them to. Hey, some of the rules in IDPA and USPSA are stupid... and sometimes in IDPA they are more vague no doubt. As much as I feel bad- this shooter had an equipment violation and was allowed to continue with no score. As far as equipment checks before the match- lets just say I have mixed feeling on this.

It was inspected, and handled during the first stage, and the DQ came much later. That is my biggest problem with it as well..

Wow! I would think that passing the initial inspection would be all that was necessary. I just lost all interest in IDPA.

Wow! I would think that passing the initial inspection would be all that was necessary. I just lost all interest in IDPA.

Bring equipment that the rule book allows and be done with it. The shooter in this case unfortunately had a firearm modification that was not allowed.. period. He got to shoot the match. What the hell is all this bashing about??? I really get tired of the bashing on this forum- and mostly from USPSA guys. Sevigny, Jarett, Vogel and dozens of other top shooters seem to find a way to fit into both sports without problems. Enough whining already.

So, you'd rather let people cheat? I'm not saying this particular shooter was purposefully cheating, but if you don't enforce the equipment rules at a nationals level match, plenty of other people would.

I was DQ'ed because of an extended slide stop. It was my own fault. I did read the rule book, but did not see that the permitted modification list was an inclusive list. I still do not understand why an excluded modification list is necessary. It seems to just create confusion, well it did for me. Other people I spoke to, including other SO's at the match, did not realize this was a violation either. I was allowed to finish the match, but being disqualified after shooting 6 stages really ruins the rest of the match. The only reason I shot the rest of it was my ride was still shooting. I will continue to shoot the club matches, but I don't think I will shoot a major match again until the rule book is clarified. The time and money investment was too much to be kicked out half way through.

So, you'd rather let people cheat? I'm not saying this particular shooter was purposefully cheating, but if you don't enforce the equipment rules at a nationals level match, plenty of other people would.

Dude.. It sounds like that's exactly what you are saying.. That would be like me saying.. I'm not calling you a douchebag, but that's an awfully db thing to say thing to say...[rolleyes]

The time and money investment was too much to be kicked out half way through.

With all due respect I don't understand this. Would you rather get kicked out at the beginning? What's the difference? You know the rule and what to do now so just address the issue. At many major matches- whether it IDPA or USPSA- they don't do the equip/chrono for everyone at the start... it's just too much work. I do agree that some of the rules need clarification- that is for sure. However if there are any mods that a shooter is not clear on- it's always is good to get in touch with the MD ahead of time- I did this myself. Quite frankly the rules should be the same at local matches although not quite as strictly enforced... it's just too much effort.

On a positive note- you got to admit- some of the stages were quite interesting and challenging. You don't always get that at a local match. As you know- John and I are running the NER locally, we'd be happy to have you join us. He may have already asked you to help out- not sure.

Dude.. It sounds like that's exactly what you are saying.. That would be like me saying.. I'm not calling you a douchebag, but that's an awfully db thing to say thing to say...[rolleyes]

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Trav made an honest mistake. However, if you let honest mistakes slide at a nationals, shooters who want the win above everything will start pushing limits.

Back
Top Bottom