Just shot an AR for the first time

What's funny is I read the headline and knew exactly what the next line was going to be. SO....here's how you do it.

1. Get a gun safe, if you already have one, great.
2. You're the only one with a license in the family so no one else can be in there, right?
3. Start out with a stripped lower, it's about the size of a large sandwich. Sneak it home in your work bag.
4. Buy a lower parts kit, again, sneak home in work bag.
5. Buy a complete upper receiver assembly. Put it in a UPS box and mail it to yourself marked, "perishable."
6. Bring home a bag of fruit from the store.
7. REmove upper assmby and put in gun safe, replace with fruit.
8. Show wife fruit in box and say, "gee, all these years I thought I'd get a raise not a stupid fruit basket." -look dejected.
9. Send wife and children to video store one evening so that you can assemble the lower. Repeat as necessary until finished.
10. Secure complete rifle in gunsafe because she can't go there. OR go to bank and get safety deposit box and put rifle in box with ammo. Trust me, when you need the rifle, it will be too late to get ammo.

OR

just say, "LOOK! HONEY! IT'S A FLYING HIPPOPOTAMUS! DUCK!!!"

Then when her head is turned, bring the rifle into the house and down to the basement.

my 2 cents. But, understand your F'ed.

What's funny is I read the headline and knew exactly what the next line was going to be. SO....here's how you do it.

2. You're the only one with a license in the family so no one else can be in there, right?
3. Start out with a stripped lower, it's about the size of a large sandwich. Sneak it home in your work bag.
5. Buy a complete upper receiver assembly. Put it in a UPS box and mail it to yourself marked, "perishable."
8. Show wife fruit in box and say, "gee, all these years I thought I'd get a raise not a stupid fruit basket." -look dejected.
9. Send wife and children to video store one evening so that you can assemble the lower. Repeat as necessary until finished.
10. Secure complete rifle in gunsafe because she can't go there. OR go to bank and get safety deposit box and put rifle in box with ammo. Trust me, when you need the rifle, it will be too late to get ammo.

OR

Then when her head is turned, bring the rifle into the house and down to the basement.

+1
[rofl] funny as this is, the idea to sneak it in the house in parts is definitely the way to go. The AR lower is the only part that you can't have mailed to your house and luckily like mentioned here it can fit in the size of your hand.

Good luck with your special op [rofl]

Dan

OR

Hilarious! [rofl] +1

I feel your pain. I went to the range recently with my boss who brought an AK and an AR. I too would love to get one, but since we just a house its pretty much a no no.

Just out of curiosity, whats the price difference between building an AR and buying one complete?

I feel your pain. I went to the range recently with my boss who brought an AK and an AR. I too would love to get one, but since we just a house its pretty much a no no.

Just out of curiosity, whats the price difference between building an AR and buying one complete?

Great question. I approve of this hijaak [wink].

More a function of being able to get exactly what you want rather than buying one whole and changing pieces (adding cost to the off-the-shelf version)...

Here's a rough run-down of a build I am in the middle of (most everything is paid for, not all yet delivered):

Spikes upper (M4, 16" flattop- includes BCG) - $725
Lower (NES) ~$130
LPK (NES group) ~$65
Rear Sight $50-150 (depending on what you do...)
ACE stock ($85)
buffer/spring $10-25 (depending on what you do)

So, all told - $1000-1200 depending on options

Depending on manufacturer - I've seen $900-1600 lately off the shelf...

If you are willing to wait 9 months, model 1 had some ~$600 kits sans lower - so that would put you at ~$750-800 (kit plus lower)...

p.s. forgot about tools though... If you don't have them, you need a punch kit, and AR wrench or buffer tube wrench which is ~$100 of tools...

Last edited:
Easy

One of the first firearms I bought for home defense was my Mossberg 500. I also got a shoulder carry case for it.

When I bought my AR15, I took the same case and told my wife I'm going to practice. The case was empty. I went and purchase the AR15 and placed it in the case and brought it home. She never knew!

Get your wife to shoot an AR15. Then buy her one first.

+1 to that... When I said "we need to get one of those" to my wife she said "why?" then she shot it... grinned ear to ear... and said "WE NEED ONE OF THOSE!!!"

Now she has hers and I have mine...

Remember, if you try to hide it, she will find out.
Then, she will question everything you tell her.
A simple traffic jam that makes you an hour late will become accusations of infidelity.
Buy the gun if you can afford it and be honest about it.

O.K. same boat here as the OP. I asked my wife what to do. She told me "Look honey, what I bought for your to shoot". But she shoots, so this kind of stinks for those who's wives don't.

(side note here: YEAH BABY I'm getting another toy!!!!!!!!!!! Yes Yes Yes.....)

LOL. in the same boat too my friends....In my case I'm having some luck getting my wife into shooting (she went with me and enjoyed it). Still, she's too smart - she'd rather I spend my money on "sensible" things like roof repairs and new vacuum cleaners [shocked].

I'm going to work on her more. Failing that I'll go the SU16C route. Still fun to shoot, but much cheaper (and collapsible stock too - which makes for easier hideablity). [smile]

I agree with Big Daddy. If you hide it you'll be sorry. I hide nothing. I have so many that she can't tell the new ones from the old ones but I never hid them even when I didn't have that many.

I am glad you are OK. Those evil guns should be watched carefully and kept in your safe with other black rifles. At least that is what I imagine mine would say if it could. I am hoping to find a companion for it next spring if it is still legal. They are a great addition to any shooter's collection.

I am glad you are OK. Those evil guns should be watched carefully and kept in your safe with other black rifles. At least that is what I imagine mine would say if it could. I am hoping to find a companion for it next spring if it is still legal. They are a great addition to any shooter's collection.

Yeah, it was tough going there for a while. But my perma-grin wore off in just under 3 hours. I think they say you only have to call the doctor if it lasts more than 4.

By the way, I showed my wife this thread a couple hours ago. I didn't get an immediate "You're NOT buying another gun!!!". Let the pestering begin!

[banana][banana][banana]

Last edited:
I was kidding...and totally serious at the same time.

AR off the shelf $900- unlimited
Custom U-Build $800 - unlimited

In all seriousness, John at Remsport, coincidentally the guy who posted below me, built my first AR and I treasure it. You can't go wrong with that route.

Finally, yes honesty is always better. But, if for one reason or another you've reached a point in your relationship where you've dispensed with it....then yes, the only real worry is the 25-50 feet between the front door and the safe. Once your in the safe, you're golden- they all look alike to ladies that don't shoot regularly. And, if they can tell the difference, chances are that they're not harrasing you about it except to say, "my turn!"

I just had the same thing happen.. As soon as I finished shooting, I looked at my husband and said "Oh my God, I want one" He said don't we all, and gave me the don't even ask look..lol Maybe he'll let me use his when he finishes building it..

Just as an FYI, there has been some good deals on gunbroker lately where I have seen MA complaint or Prebans going for under 1000 new. Youd have to be patient to find a deal like this, but if you do I am sure you would be happy.

be real careful buying prebans without checking the serials. ive seen "prebans" turn out to be 100% post ban.

Heh.. I have the opposite problem. I bought a VERY NICE pre-ban Bushmaster DCM/CMP upper from Midway on an impulse buy. GREAT upper, but more than I should have spent. After playing with it for a bit, I decided I would sell it and get a less expensive upper (I don't plan on doing any competitions anytime soon). Well.. that all went out the window when I let the g/f shoot it. She won't let me get rid of the damn thing now. [thinking]

Of course, thanks to Kimber45 I am eventually going to have to build a 1911 for plate shoots.. he let her shoot his and now she is talking about what all she would do to customize one if she had it, but that goes back to the "I wonder if she would take a 1911 over a ring" statement in a previous thread.

If only someone would let her shoot a M1A or a .50BMG, then maybe I could get something new that I want!

I wish. My wife doesn't like guns. It's not that she thinks people shouldn't have them, she's just afraid of them. She also doesn't like loud noises (like fireworks) so I can't even convince her to come to the range and try out a .22. Just means more MAN time i guess, haha.

Back
Top Bottom