• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just read "Lone Survivor".

I don't know anything about "jamming magazines into chambers" ... but I reallly liked the book, and admire the men who were involved.

Under these situation you are doing it as fast as possible and not being gentle about it. By using the phrase "jamming it" in conveys that action?

Under these situation you are doing it as fast as possible and not being gentle about it. By using the phrase "jamming it" in conveys that action?

It's not so much the jamming, but more what it's being jammed into (i.e. the chamber) that is bothering people.

Luttrell didn't write any of the novel. He was interviewed by Patrick Robinson and gave his account of the entire operation and debacle. Robinson was the one who actually penned the book. Ironically, it was a pretty inaccurate account of the incident. A good NON-fiction book on Operation RED WINGS (not Redwing), Operation Red Wings II and Operation Whaler is Victory Point, told from the perspective of the 2nd Batt/3rd Marines and 3rd Batt/3rd Marines; who were the ones who conceived all the operations.

Luttrell didn't write any of the novel. He was interviewed by Patrick Robinson and gave his account of the entire operation and debacle. Robinson was the one who actually penned the book. Ironically, it was a pretty inaccurate account of the incident. A good NON-fiction book on Operation RED WINGS (not Redwing), Operation Red Wings II and Operation Whaler is Victory Point, told from the perspective of the 2nd Batt/3rd Marines and 3rd Batt/3rd Marines; who were the ones who conceived all the operations.

But is it a good read?

Real, fake, half made up, fictionalized, or ****ed up... doesn't matter. A damn fine read, about some damn fine men. The word "hero" gets used way too much these days for my tastes. But if it's appropriate for anyone, it's appropriate for these men.

I thought it was one of the best books I have read along with American Sniper and 13 Hours.

I am actually reading it right now. Just got the part where they board the chopper. I definitely don't think it's one of the "best books" written. 13 hours clearly is written in a much better way, not too much of the wise-ass remarks. I have nothing against wise-ass remarks, but I think that this book was overloaded with them.

One strike difference between the book and the movie that hit me right away was when he said they all had their SIGs and in the movie they used M9. Go figure.

That being said - clearly all of them are heroes and going through the BUD/S and SEAL training is something out of this world for sure.

But is it a good read?

Fantastic read. It is written by journalist Ed Darack who was embedded with the 2nd Batt. It's one of my favorite books and probably the best researched out of anything written about Operation Red Wings.

Real, fake, half made up, fictionalized, or ****ed up... doesn't matter. A damn fine read, about some damn fine men. The word "hero" gets used way too much these days for my tastes. But if it's appropriate for anyone, it's appropriate for these men.

I didn't like it. Luttrell's story was over-exaggerated and down right made up for a lot of it; plus the writing of the book was lackluster.

Last edited:
Well and chamber are similar words, are we seriously criticizing SEALs over semantics?

When the semantics are about weapons? Sure. They know better, as do we. So it calls into question every other vocab choice in the book.

Too many of these newer Afghanistan/Iraq SEAL books are later shown to be exaggerated. It's sick and wrong; real battlefield achievements stand on their own, no embellishments needed. I blame the ghost writers, but then in turn I blame the SEALs who employ them.

if they can't tell the story themselves, maybe they should keep their mouths shut. It's like any of my funny Army stories: they're only funny to other vets. If I tell them to civilians, I end up having to explain too much. Same here: if SEALs can't tell the story to a popular audience without altering it, well... some of you might enjoy reading semi-fiction. I don't.

Back
Top Bottom