Just picked up my (restricted) LTC-A!

Applied on 2/17 and picked it up this morning from Worcester PD, restrictions are target & sport. Dropped a check in the mail to Derek also to "go green!"

So I'd like to go out shopping for a handgun, but not sure of the handling etiquette. I've read people comment that one firearm's trigger feels better than another, but how do you get a sense for that when shopping around? It seems dry firing is frowned upon?

I've read good things about the SW M&P9 and Sig P226, so those are at the top of the list to look at. Plus SW has the 2 free mag promotion until the end of the month.

I've fired a few handguns in the past - couple years ago for my "day of festivities before marriage" a few friends and I went to Boston Gun Range; between the 4 of us we had an AR-15, HK 9mm, Glock 9mm, and Kimber 1911 .45. I don't recall specific models...I was a total newbie to the sport that day. The HK felt good that day....the AR was fun too.

A couple weeks ago while on business travel I went shooting with a friend in FL. Shot a Bersa .380, Springfield XD compact 9mm, and a Browning Hi-Power. The Bersa was too small in my hands, but I enjoyed the Springfield and Browning! Too bad neither is "approved" in MA.

- Bryan

]
So I'd like to go out shopping for a handgun, but not sure of the handling etiquette. I've read people comment that one firearm's trigger feels better than another, but how do you get a sense for that when shopping around? It seems dry firing is frowned upon?

First, congrats on your new license!

In regards to your question... if you're unsure, just ask the dealer. They will appreciate the respect you are giving them and their property. I always ask, and never assume anything. It is their firearm... they have a right to say yes or no.

In my experience if you ask about dry firing they will agree. Except a rimfire where it can cause damage.

FYI the above may not be true at some of the big box retailers. Local shops are way better about this.

Best,

Rich

p.s. Sig 226 in 9mm was my first purchase and I love it!

congrats and here's to hoping those restriction go bye bye when you renew in 4 years [wink] (not sure how your town is, but that is the SOP for mine, or so Im told)

Thanks all for the welcome, I'm looking forward to hanging out here more often.

Hopefully in 2014 when I'm up for renewal I'm either in a green town, or a free state.

Wound up working from home today, was supposed to be off...hoping to get down to First Defense tomorrow. 2 votes for the 226 in this thread alone[grin]

Will do with the GOAL membership too. Speaking of which, GOAL has a minivan? Saw it on 290W 3-4 weeks ago.

- Bryan

Back
Top Bottom