Just ordered a .50 beowulf upper

shotgunwilly870

NES Member
My wife saw me about to submit my order to alexander arms for a .50 beowulf upper then flipped out (when she saw the price) so I said f it then a few minutes later she had my order up on the screen and said make sure this is what you want before I order it "I'm not going to be the wife that doesn't let you buy a gun you want" god I love her, and can't wait for my .50 .

I got the base model with a welded+pinned tank brake 2 10 rd .50 beowulf mags which are the same as usgi 5.56 30 rd but for $25 ea the regular 5.56/.223 mags are interchangeable anyway.

I assume the mags are pre-ban? There was mention of this in a tread somewhere re: loading 10 Beo rounds into a 30 mag.

AA has their own brand aluminum and polymer 10rd beo mags. The feed lips are opened more than a usgi 30 and the followers are different. They won't hold 556 and for an off chance they do, they will not do so reliably. But my beo feeds fine with normal usgi 30rders...pre ban of course.

That could be an interesting case... I'm sure I could jam like 11-12 rounds of 9mm in some 10 round .40 mag and have it feed. Then what will they do!

Mike

My wife has no clue what I buy until I bust it out . Then she says "where did that come from"

Good pickup on the Beo, I love mine!

When I lived in MA the only way I was able to get Beo brass was to order it from GB. You can also go visit Lars at Umlaut in Concord NH when he has it. I don't know if he can arrange to hold on some for you when he gets it in, but I do know he won't ship it to MA.

My son (Marcus5Aurelius) and I have a beowulf and it is a hoot to shoot..... We also reload (and cast) for it... As has already been mentioned you will need a 50 beo die set since the brass is tapered as opposed to the straight case on the 500 mag (which we also reload).... We use the lee pacesetter die set:

lee-pacesetter-4-die-set-50-beowulf

You're going to love shooting this gun but it definitely needs to be one that you reload for....[smile]

wow, same follower and all? that's nifty. i wanted a beowulf upper for the longest time but realized i couldn't afford or feed it.

Yea it's a pretty nice setup. Plus the mags we got in from AA were complete crap and nothing but problems. Standard USGI mags work really well after the anti tilt follower is installed (otherwise the bullets can nosedive in weird ways).

The one other mod which isn't even necessary is to take some sandpaper to the inside lips of the mags. This is only because theres an edge to them which can scratch up the brass as they are loaded/unloaded and since BEO brass is like gold you don't want to damage your brass in any way. Plus you probably want to invest in a solid brass catcher, it makes things a whole lot easier.

Back
Top Bottom