Just installed Dawson rear on M&P!

While I didn't have much luck installing a Dawson fiber optic sight on the front of my M&P 9 (had to send it out) I just successfully installed the rear Dawson on my M&P .40. It still has the stock front sight which is ok but I'll be getting the Dawson fiber optic soon.

What surprised me was just how much I had to file the bottom of the sight. I think that was my downfall on the front sight. Either way it does feel good getting something like this done. IMO the plain black rear sights (either 10-8 or Dawson) with the fiber optic front sight is just perfect for action shooting.

I have experimented with both fiber optic and black front post over the years and prefer black on black sights. The bright fiber optic front sight is a little easier to pick up, but the black front sight allows me to shoot more accurately.

I have experimented with both fiber optic and black front post over the years and prefer black on black sights. The bright fiber optic front sight is a little easier to pick up, but the black front sight allows me to shoot more accurately.

I am becoming a believer. If it was not for my eye sight, I would do away with Fiber optic. Only reason I use them is I do not need prescription glasses to see them.

I still prefer the black on black but sometimes we just have to adjust[thinking]

I am becoming a believer. If it was not for my eye sight, I would do away with Fiber optic. Only reason I use them is I do not need prescription glasses to see them.

I still prefer the black on black but sometimes we just have to adjust[thinking]

The only gun I have that has black on black sights is my 1911. Most of the guns I use (M&P, Glocks) have combat hold (fiber optic or dot covers target/POI). Depending on ranges, the difference from the top of post and the middle of the dot isn't that huge but it's obviously something.

How do you guys set your sights (black on black)? POI= top of front sight post? (That's what I do from my 1911).

Congrats, Lug, another successful install!

Get ready for that spiffy new JP Rifles Fire Control System. That'll be minty!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting that done!

On another note- looks like I'm going to give the M&P 9mm another go to get the trigger pull comparable to my .40. I'm actually very surprised at the difference between 5.5lbs (9mm) and 4.5lbs. I'm making excuses but my timing is all messed up between the two. [wink]

The only gun I have that has black on black sights is my 1911. Most of the guns I use (M&P, Glocks) have combat hold (fiber optic or dot covers target/POI). Depending on ranges, the difference from the top of post and the middle of the dot isn't that huge but it's obviously something.

How do you guys set your sights (black on black)? POI= top of front sight post? (That's what I do from my 1911).

The three dot sights are meant for flat across the top so the dots line up. I use flat black model paint and black out the white dots. Works great and makes the sights standard black sights.

Also, when I did my Dawson on the M&P. the rear was a breeze. The front was a bear. I used the wide cut rear for a better sight picture.

I just ordered Trijicon for my Carry/IDPA M&P 40 and will have a local guy install them with a pusher.

Back
Top Bottom