Just got this alert a couple minutes ago...

Now this has got me thinking... Depending on what building he was seen in, he could have also taken the underground tunnels that span parts of the campus. I haven't been down there yet, but I hear it's like a freaking maze.

Now this has got me thinking... Depending on what building he was seen in, he could have also taken the underground tunnels that span parts of the campus. I haven't been down there yet, but I hear it's like a freaking maze.

It is Freddy Krueger-esque down there. But I don't think anybody with bad intent would walk down Mass Ave with a rifle, then go hide in the tunnels without shooting anything.

any one else curious why there's no actual witnesses? You would think that by now someone would have mentioned security tapes...seeing as MIT isn't exactly in the best neighborhood and it in fact has the word Technology in it's name you would think some cameras would have been mentioned...sound's like someone experimenting with shrooms

Open carry on Mass Ave (not a school zone, right?)... Is it against the law? -- what is the mAss law on open carry? Long guns or handguns?

My guess would be that it was a hoax or an error, and that fact won't stop peopl from using this as another excuse to argue for more gun control. As long as we can keep everyone terrified, it doesn't matter that they aren't actually in danger.

There is, pardon the pun, a huge bang for the buck here. All I need to do is make one call from a track phone and my prank is on the front page of every news site in the country? Sweet!

- - - Updated - - -

Open carry on Mass Ave (not a school zone, right?)... Is it against the law? -- what is the mAss law on open carry? Long guns or handguns?

Open carry is legal, but generally discouraged because you may scare the sheep, then they call the police, and even if you haven't broken the law they could jam you up and get your LTC pulled for suitability.

IANAL, that is what I have read and been advised.

Maybe it's time to start wearing plate carriers and molle vests around Cambridge just for the reactions.

Interesting thought. Given all the concern about gun toting lunatics, and the number of sales of bulletproof backpacks from kids since Newtown, why do people think you are a nut for wanting a set of plates and a vest? If the risk is really that high, a few hundred bucks on a vest is cheap insurance.

My guess would be that it was a hoax or an error, and that fact won't stop peopl from using this as another excuse to argue for more gun control. As long as we can keep everyone terrified, it doesn't matter that they aren't actually in danger.

There is, pardon the pun, a huge bang for the buck here. All I need to do is make one call from a track phone and my prank is on the front page of every news site in the country? Sweet!

Cry Wolf enough and the Wolf will come.

CBS Boston "MIT lifted the lockdown about 45 minutes later."

You mean us sheep can go out again? Oh thank-you thank-you!!!
(Er, how exactly do you put a campus full of ADULTS on "lockdown"???)

Like this:
9:22 AM
This morning information was received from Cambridge Police that there was a person with a long rifle and body armor in the Main Group Building of MIT. Multiple law enforcement agencies have responded. Stay indoors and shelter in place and report suspicious activity to the campus police dispatch at 617 253 1212 or dial 100 from a campus phone. More updates to follow.
Following the link on shelter in place:
Shelter-in-Place

Sheltering-in-place is recommended when being outside poses a threat, either from a violent act or a concern about air quality. The decision to shelter in place may be your own, or it may come from MIT or another authority. In either case, here are some tips in the event you have to remain where you are:

Find out where the pre-determined shelter-in-place area is for your building. If there isn’t one, remain in your room with your door locked.
Check with the MIT information line (617-253-SNOW) for information, updates and recommendations, as well as the MIT emergency website, TV, and radio;
Keep windows and window blinds shut. If advised, also cover and duct tape air vents, and turn off all the air handling equipment (heating, ventilation, and/or air conditioning) that you can control.

There you have it. You lock down the campus by finding out where the shelter in place area is located. You don't have to go there, just find out where it is.

Because they all start with a very flawed assumption. Anyone who wants something they are afraid of wants it for nefarious purposes. And their logic begins with "I don't want it so anyone else who does is abnormal"

Interesting thought. Given all the concern about gun toting lunatics, and the number of sales of bulletproof backpacks from kids since Newtown, why do people think you are a nut for wanting a set of plates and a vest? If the risk is really that high, a few hundred bucks on a vest is cheap insurance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Open carry is legal, but generally discouraged because you may scare the sheep, then they call the police, and even if you haven't broken the law they could jam you up and get your LTC pulled for suitability.

IANAL, that is what I have read and been advised.

This is correct. Open carry (of a handgun) is legal on MA. But depending on what city you are in you may get picked up on a "creating a disturbance" charge if some pussy calls the police saying they saw someone with a gun. Then they can review your license and find you unsuitable even though you did not break any laws. This info is straight from my city's licensing officer, Det. Bouchard, who I asked about open carry 2 weeks ago. I even asked him, "So I can get arrested even though I didn't break any laws?" and he said "Yes you can." Keep in mind that this is a friend of my family's who worked with my father on the job for 20 yrs. so not just a scare tactic.

However carrying a loaded rifle or shotgun is NEVER allowed in public. Ma law specifically forbids carrying a loaded rifle or shotgun "on a public way" Just threw that in there since the poster who asked about open carry did ask about riles/shotgun also.

When this alert was going on I wonder how many people broke out the scissors and got ready to piss themselves if needed...

This just in....

The tipster who sent a false report on Saturday to Cambridge police about a gunman in a Massachusetts Institute of Technology building used a special system designed for people with hearing or speech impediments to transmit the message, police said today.

The Internet relay service allowed the tipster to send a written message to a Sprint employee, who then called police to relay the message, said Cambridge police spokesman Dan Riviello.

During their conversation, the Sprint employee gave police the name of a suspect the tipster had provided. Police contacted the person and determined that he was not involved with the incident in any way, a Cambridge poliee statement said.

After the tip came in around 7:30 a.m. Saturday, police placed 77 Massachusetts Ave., the main building on MIT’s campus, in lockdown mode and searched the area for nearly four hours. No gunman was found. Police believe the report was false, Riviello said.

Police and prosecutors have said they will press charges against the tipster when they uncover the person’s identity.
Sprint spokeswoman Crystal Davis said that in order to be granted access to the relay service, a customer must pass through a verification system to confirm that they have a hearing or speech impediment.

Davis said the company would turn over to police the name of the subscriber who sent the tip through the relay service, if that subscriber can be identified.

The last part of that is interesting... I didn't know that the subscriber to that service could be identified.

Retailers are constantly targets of credit-card fraud scams using the TTY service operators. The operator calls the store to relay a "deaf" caller's request to purchase goods using a credit card. By using the relay service, the caller can't be identified by their phone number or voice; all the retailer gets is a credit card number and an address to ship to. The credit card is stolen or fraudulent, but the sale is approved by the processors until the credit card's owner reports the bad charge.

This is correct. Open carry (of a handgun) is legal on MA. But depending on what city you are in you may get picked up on a "creating a disturbance" charge if some pussy calls the police saying they saw someone with a gun. Then they can review your license and find you unsuitable even though you did not break any laws. This info is straight from my city's licensing officer, Det. Bouchard, who I asked about open carry 2 weeks ago. I even asked him, "So I can get arrested even though I didn't break any laws?" and he said "Yes you can." Keep in mind that this is a friend of my family's who worked with my father on the job for 20 yrs. so not just a scare tactic.

However carrying a loaded rifle or shotgun is NEVER allowed in public. Ma law specifically forbids carrying a loaded rifle or shotgun "on a public way" Just threw that in there since the poster who asked about open carry did ask about riles/shotgun also.

When this alert was going on I wonder how many people broke out the scissors and got ready to piss themselves if needed...
Good to know. Not gonna OC for fearing of the scissors!

Back
Top Bottom