Just got a 3D printer, anyone else have one ?

Interesting article

"Want a Flying Drone? These Students 3D-Printed Their Own"

085.JPG

Natf I was looking at joing makeitlab.

That's the one up in nh right . Has car lifts Cnc welder a etc right ? How do you like it there.
I have a manual and Cnc Machinest background and went to school for welding . Are they gun friendly?

It didn't take long. The government is "deeply concerned" about 3d printers. They're worried people will be producing "undetectable" firearms. Now they want to reenact the undetectable gun act ( or something to the effect). I didn't catch all the details. Anyone else hear about this?

Natf I was looking at joing makeitlab.

That's the one up in nh right . Has car lifts Cnc welder a etc right ? How do you like it there.
I have a manual and Cnc Machinest background and went to school for welding . Are they gun friendly?

No official policy and several members I've spoken with have mentioned interest in finishing lowers and are following the wiki weapon project. Let me know the day you are interested in coming up and I'll make sure to be there. PM would be best, I just saw your post today. I'm very happy there but I honestly don't use the space as much as I should.

-Nat

Hmmm... Could we print a few of these drones to overfly the next car shoot? Get some skeet practice?
Dude - so 20th century.

Back in March:

Stratasys and Optomec Inc. today announced that the companies have successfully completed a joint development project to merge 3D printing and printed electronics to create the world's first fully printed hybrid structure.

The first project, the development of a "smart wing" for an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) model with functional electronics is a revolutionary event that has the potential to change product development in industries including medical device, consumer electronics, automotive and aerospace. A video on stratasys.com discusses the making of hybrid structures.

Stratasys-Optomec.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, us GEEKs are now hip. Check out 1:37, 3:32 and 4:30 in this video.

[video=youtube_share;kYtGl1dX5qI]http://youtu.be/kYtGl1dX5qI[/video]

Last edited:
I built a RepRap Huxley last year and it's a pain in the ass. It's also one of my favorite projects. But the hobby-level printers are bound to give you headaches and require near-constant maintenance. I spend about as much time fixing as I do printing. It even caught on fire once. What I'm trying to say is, if you go the DIY route, you should know what you're doing. Otherwise, you'll be focusing less on prototyping and more on running a machine.

Been working on a PSL mag.

If you can get your hands on some methylene chloride you can use it to 'fuse' the outermost layers of the plastic. Just be careful, it is REALLY nasty stuff. When we were making parts for demos we would brush it on the parts, let it do it's thing, then sand and paint. It made the parts stronger and much easier to finish. I miss having access to a 3D printer...

If you can get your hands on some methylene chloride you can use it to 'fuse' the outermost layers of the plastic. Just be careful, it is REALLY nasty stuff. When we were making parts for demos we would brush it on the parts, let it do it's thing, then sand and paint. It made the parts stronger and much easier to finish. I miss having access to a 3D printer...
Weld-On 3 is a little less aggressive. Acetone also works but evaporates quickly.

To glue parts we use model airplane glue. ABS is basically rubber-modified Styrene, so it works fine. "SuperGlue" is not as good though it can be used to tack parts together if you want to take them apart later.

If you're going to paint, buy some high build automotive primer and spray that of first, that will smooth it out quite a bit. Start with 110 grit sandpaper and it goes fast. We've sanded stuff up to 600 grit wet for extra smooth finishes like gold metallic.

Here's the kind of thing that makes these so awesome.

How many times have you broken a snow thrower shear pin, then spent more time looking for a replacement and tools than it took to do the whole snow throwing job? I taped two spares to the top of my snow thrower: while effective, inelegant.
1124controls-M.jpg

A little while with SolidWorks this morning and 26 minutes in a uPrint 3D printer this afternoon, and I had a snap fit "Holster" for them to stick on with double-sided tape. Material cost was about a buck.

shearpinholster-L.jpg

Anyone successfully print an AR-15 lower? I am looking for an accurate and to scale model to work with.

Anyone successfully print an AR-15 lower? I am looking for an accurate and to scale model to work with.
There are 4-5 of them on grabcad. I've made some of the uppers, not a lower as yet.

Here's a quick video of the part running. You can see how it traces the profile (starting at 9 seconds), then fills it in before indexing to the next level. This was built at 0.010" thick layers, with a bead width of 0.020".

[video=youtube_share;fQZbTS74MEI]http://youtu.be/fQZbTS74MEI[/video]

Last edited:
Yeah I saw the ones on grabcad.. just like knowing someone was successful with them before working with them.

On a related topic... anyone have access to a 3D scanner?

i have yet to do it, but i need to go through MGLs to see if manufacturing is prohibited. not for sale or anything, just manufacturing. i do not recall whether it is or not. if it is--S&W gets away with it. then again they are S&W.

edit: clarified and checked with comrade drgrant and while manufacture (not readily able to be modified, but created from nothing) doesn't seem to be expressly prohibited, it still is "post ban".

YMMV.

Last edited:
i have yet to do it, but i need to go through MGLs to see if manufacturing is prohibited. not for sale or anything, just manufacturing. i do not recall whether it is or not. if it is--S&W gets away with it. then again they are S&W.

edit: clarified and checked with comrade drgrant and while manufacture (not readily able to be modified, but created from nothing) doesn't seem to be expressly prohibited, it still is "post ban".

YMMV.

*insert video "everything is illegal in MA"*

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Forum Runner

3d printing of firearms is cool, but they're experimenting now with 3d printing of tissue now.

Hmmm.... I wonder if I could get an MRI of like... Angelina Jolie and print a copy of her?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom