• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just a Little Tease: Comm2A's New Project

If that's a better way to do it, then the Chief's union should go to the legislature and push for the law to be changed.

Yeah, I know it's not really a union, but like the fire chiefs association, in some ways it acts like.

MSP does not and will not auction guns off, they get sent to scrap. So there is no money gain to the state in following the rules and sending them to MSP. If the local agency swaps them for credit, at least the local agency benefits (as does local taxpayers).

MSP does not and will not auction guns off, they get sent to scrap. So there is no money gain to the state in following the rules and sending them to MSP. If the local agency swaps them for credit, at least the local agency benefits (as does local taxpayers).
If that's a better way to do it, then the Chief's union should go to the legislature and push for the law to be changed.

Yeah, I know it's not really a union, but like the fire chiefs association, in some ways it acts like.
As @Rob Boudrie points out above, this would create perverse incentives much like we see with civil asset forfeiture. In this case, the PD's are creating a little slush fund for themselves that is outside the budget process of the individual cities or towns. They are incentivized to deliver firearms for Dowd in return for credits used to purchase items that were not approved as part of their budget. Even if legal, do we really want PDs to be thinking: "the town doesn't want me to have X and so we'll just raise the money ourselves through the sale of seized property and buy what we want"?

Even if it were legal, it would be wrong - which is probably why it's not.

All true. Do you think that a favorable decision in this case will compel the various PDs to comply with the law? That would be ideal, but I'm a bit skeptical.

This seems like a form of estoppel and we don't want that either, do we?

As @Rob Boudrie points out above, this would create perverse incentives much like we see with civil asset forfeiture. In this case, the PD's are creating a little slush fund for themselves that is outside the budget process of the individual cities or towns. They are incentivized to deliver firearms for Dowd in return for credits used to purchase items that were not approved as part of their budget. Even if legal, do we really want PDs to be thinking: "the town doesn't want me to have X and so we'll just raise the money ourselves through the sale of seized property and buy what we want"?

All true. Do you think that a favorable decision in this case will compel the various PDs to comply with the law? That would be ideal, but I'm a bit skeptical.

This seems like a form of estoppel and we don't want that either, do we?
I was also thinking, "What would a win mean", I had to to back and look at the original filing. As near as I can tell, from my non-lawyer viewpoint, a win would get monetary compensation for the plaintiffs aline with attorney fees. And I suppose so pressure for the defendants to change their practices/policies, but I suspect it would really mean a change in the law. I don't think those doing wrong will care much, since it's not their money, but I guess an end to those "credits" is something.

So the plaintiffs get money and there will be new legislation (which historically hasn't been a good thing).

It's cute project, and I guess it's nice seeing some dishonest people being stopped, but it doesn't look like anything Earth shattering will come from a win, it's not going to stop them from taking guns, just change what they do with them.

I think that there's a large game afoot here, but I don't know what it is or expect that we'll know until it's all over.

I was also thinking, "What would a win mean", I had to to back and look at the original filing. As near as I can tell, from my non-lawyer viewpoint, a win would get monetary compensation for the plaintiffs aline with attorney fees. And I suppose so pressure for the defendants to change their practices/policies, but I suspect it would really mean a change in the law. I don't think those doing wrong will care much, since it's not their money, but I guess an end to those "credits" is something.

So the plaintiffs get money and there will be new legislation (which historically hasn't been a good thing).

It's cute project, and I guess it's nice seeing some dishonest people being stopped, but it doesn't look like anything Earth shattering will come from a win, it's not going to stop them from taking guns, just change what they do with them.

I think that there's a large game afoot here, but I don't know what it is or expect that we'll know until it's all over.
It will never be over. It's like watching one move on the chess board.

But, CommA donations help, and are making this possible. Serving 50+ police departments with legal process adds up, even with reasonable constable fees on per-unit basis. And that doesn't even include the legal fees for the two attorneys handling the case.

This is where I plug for signing up for monthly donations, even for a small amount like $5/month. It's better for non profits to have a steady stream of income to work with, rather than intermittent donations. If it's within your means, I highly recommend it.

Looks like the defendants filed a Joint Motion to Dismiss citing 7 reasons why the case should be dismissed:

1. First. Plaintiffs fail to allege the necessary facts to support a claim under the Massachusetts False Claims Act (the “MFCA”)—indeed, they fail to establish any of the requisite elements, including the necessary “claim” for a “false claim.”
2. Second, the alleged acts taken by the Town Defendants were explicitly permitted by the relevant statute, and Plaintiffs fail to allege otherwise.
3. Third, the Town Defendants were the intended beneficiaries of the MFCA and nothing indicates that the MFCA waived the Town Defendants’ sovereign immunity.
4. Fourth, the Plaintiffs’ late-stage amendment to their Complaint fails to meet, and instead constitutes an end-run around, the presentment requirement for claims under the MFCA.
5. Fifth, none of the Plaintiffs qualify as eligible relators, either because they are not natural persons or because they lack any direct knowledge of the pertinent facts.
6. Sixth, the material facts of Plaintiffs’ claims have all been publicly disclosed prior to Plaintiffs bringing their claims against the Town Defendants, and therefore this Court lacks jurisdiction over those claims.
7. Finally, Plaintiffs’ claims ultimately create an absurdity where the Commonwealth is, essentially, suing itself.

Donation sent. Looking forward to reading the Plaintiffs' response to the motion to dismiss. How long do Plaintiffs have to file a response?

Translations: We're the poe-leese and we can do whatever we want.
Unfortunately, swap the above translation with "I'm the Attorney General and I can do whatever I want", and such translation actually worked for the MA AG office with regard to the definition of a loaded chamber indicator. :mad:

Unfortunately, swap the above translation with "I'm the Attorney General and I can do whatever I want", and such translation actually worked for the MA AG office with regard to the definition of a loaded chamber indicator. :mad:
It's not a "loaded chamber indicator" -
it's an "out of battery chamber pressure relief".

(Photos disappeared off of the Intarwebs).

This was one of the two worst decisions I have read, not so much because of the outcome as the process. The court basically decided that the AGs position was so obvious that there was no need for a trial or argument of the case and issued summary judgment against us.

The other was the court deciding that the bonded warehouse was not similar to towing because the police, and not the gun owner, was the recipient of the service - and the fact that the gun owner paid the fee did not establish a similarity.

It's just random quotes to drive interest/clicks. Comm2A wasn't thrown off suit as Brent Carlton is Comm2A's CEO. But as an org, Comm2A can't make a FCA claim. It has to be a person. Not really a big deal and why Brent was on the suit in the first place.

It's just random quotes to drive interest/clicks. Comm2A wasn't thrown off suit as Brent Carlton is Comm2A's CEO. But as an org, Comm2A can't make a FCA claim. It has to be a person. Not really a big deal and why Brent was on the suit in the first place.
Let's just say, there are many times Comm2A's cases have judges who are actively working against us instead of doing their jobs. Judge Saylor typically does his job, and this case is no different. We are truly breaking new ground here legally (some rando on the internet won't have a clue what is important here) and if it wasn't guns at the center of this case, the AG's office would have taken the issue seriously and dealt with it. But they would rather defend this horrid system of stealing people's firearms instead of prosecuting the thieves. Their inaction and refusal to join on this case will have far reaching consequences far beyond "guns".

Their inaction and refusal to join on this case will have far reaching consequences far beyond "guns".
So the AGO is missing out on setting precedent for other cases of bonded warehouses stealing other property besides firearms and potentially similar cases (towing, maybe escrow?) with defacto civil asset forfeiture through onerous third party storage/processing fees?

So the AGO is missing out on setting precedent for other cases of bonded warehouses stealing other property besides firearms and potentially similar cases (towing, maybe escrow?) with defacto civil asset forfeiture through onerous third party storage/processing fees?
That Municipalities have no liability for stealing from the state...

Stealing from the state, or stealing for the state? I was under the impression that there was some financial incentive for the police to confiscate weapons and then turn them over to the bonded warehouses.

Stealing from the state, or stealing for the state? I was under the impression that there was some financial incentive for the police to confiscate weapons and then turn them over to the bonded warehouses.
The stealing from the state part is when the PD gets a kickback from the bonded warehouse for the sale of the firearms by the bonded warehouse and the firearms are not turned over to the State Police for sale as mandated in the law (if I am not mistaken)

The Village Vault was issuing dollar denominated credits, spendable at their store, to the PD. It would be interesting to see how this income, and expenditure thereof, was recorded on the financial records of the PD and town. There is also the ethical issue of making a vendor choice against the interest of the gun owner because it involves a kickback to the PD.

Back
Top Bottom