Judge Dredd, yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mibro

NES Member
So...is failure to comply with a police officer's instruction sufficient cause for summary execution?

Samantha Ramsey shot, killed by deputy.

Deputy Tyler Brockman claims Ramsey drove into him after he tried to pull her over.

Witnesses, including the three passengers in the car, stated that Deputy Brockman jumped onto the hood before firing through the windshield.

Having watched the video, my opinion is that this was a summary execution for failure to comply. In other words, murder.

It certainly looks to me as though the car had already passed the officer. He would have HAD to have tried to get in front or on-top of the car in order to shoot through the windshield.

At most, he should have retreated to his own car, and chased them down (possibly allowing other cars to leave the party un-checked)...(?)

This cop over reacted and killed her. This is the rambo/supercop that gives good cops a bad name.

Last edited:
judge-dredd.jpg
It certainly looks to me as though the car had already passed the officer. He would have HAD to have tried to get in front or on-top of the car in order to shoot through the windshield.

At most, he should have retreated to his own car, and chased them down (possibly allowing other cars to leave the party un-checked)...(?)

i knew you'd say that

Last edited:
Its hard to say... He definitely put himself into a situation he didn't need to be in... but as far as we know off camera he was standing in front of the car and she did in fact hit him.

He's probably stupid, but its hard to say definitively whether or not hes a murderer.

Most cops I know are great guys, but I have met a few who I consider massive scumbags, and this guy could certainly fit the bill.

Mike

So...is failure to comply with a police officer's instruction sufficient cause for summary execution?

Samantha Ramsey shot, killed by deputy.

Deputy Tyler Brockman claims Ramsey drove into him after he tried to pull her over.

Witnesses, including the three passengers in the car, stated that Deputy Brockman jumped onto the hood before firing through the windshield.

Having watched the video, my opinion is that this was a summary execution for failure to comply. In other words, murder.

Sure. You must have seen the off-camera section of this video.

Sure. You must have seen the off-camera section of this video.

I saw Deputy Tyler Brockman standing next to the driver door.

Witnesses stated he jumped onto the hood.

Regardless of the fine details of the play-by-play, what kind of a man fires four rounds into a young person's body because they failed to stop when told to do so?

I know that others may see it differently but this just makes me angry. A completely senseless killing as payback for a bruised ego.

I guess we'll see. Sounds like you've already tried and convicted him, though. How ironic.

If it were up to me he'd be charged for sure.

And not to confuse the issue but I think there's a chance the dead girl didn't even realize he was a cop before his bullets hit her chest.

Headlights behind him so he's silhouetted, no uniform cap, brown shirt, flashlight in her face. She may not have really grasped what was happening.

Last edited:
If it were up to me he'd be charged for sure.

And not to confuse the issue but I think there's a chance the dead girl didn't even realize he was a cop before his bullets hit her chest.

Headlights behind him so he's silhouetted, no uniform cap, brown shirt, flashlight in her face. She may not have really grasped what was happening.

Maybe. Or she was shitfaced and ran him down while trying to get away.

Maybe. Or she was shitfaced and ran him down while trying to get away.

As far as I could see she was driving at walking pace and he could have avoided any potential contact with the car by taking one step backwards.

I literally don't understand the mindset that says it's OK for a police officer to kill because events don't go exactly as he thinks they should.

Cop mentality. Shoot first, questions later.
his voice on radio is all bull$hit drama

I'm not anti PD, but this sure looks like Murder.he should face a jury, car was excelerating past him from what I saw.

You can say that without seeing what actually happened? That's the problem here, is there is a lot missing. Then we have inconsistent stories- the passenger in the car said one thing and the cop says another.

-Mike

You can say that without seeing what actually happened? That's the problem here, is there is a lot missing. Then we have inconsistent stories- the passenger in the car said one thing and the cop says another.

-Mike
It's pretty clear that the cop was next to the car (not in front of it) when it started to drive away. Instead of playing superman, he could have called it in? Let it go? Chased it in his car? Seems pretty stupid to dive on the hood.

The video does show the deputy taking 2 or 3 full strides as the car starts to pull away which leads me to believe he did indeed jump on the hood (to prevent a suspected intoxicated driver from driving?) Probably doesn't warrant being charged for anything however he probably should be canned for acting outside of SOP and trying to be SuperCop. Doubt that will happen though.

Its hard to say... He definitely put himself into a situation he didn't need to be in... but as far as we know off camera he was standing in front of the car and she did in fact hit him.

He's probably stupid, but its hard to say definitively whether or not hes a murderer.

Most cops I know are great guys, but I have met a few who I consider massive scumbags, and this guy could certainly fit the bill.

Mike

Too many unknowns here to determine what actually happened, but if she didn't deliberately try to run him down, and he jumped onto the hood to "stop her", then I would have to say he murdered her, otherwise one could argue self defense since a car can be considered a deadly weapon. Either way it could be argued that he didn't "need" to shoot and kill her since police have this new fangled device called a radio so catching her after she fled the scene wouldn't have been terribly difficult.

See the dude in the black car sticking both hands out the window so he doesn't get shot next.

It sure looks like the cop was along side of the car as it left the frame. If he was in danger, it's because he put himself in danger.

1) no mistaking it was police with all the flashy lights
2) I am betting with the window closed (it looked closed), she stopped, understood (maybe) then tried to pull off to the side of the road instead of stopping in the middle. That's what most normal people do right?
3) NO WAY that cop got in front of that car that fast.

from what I see, cop was at fault

Lets try this from a civilian angle....

Say your are armed civilian and going home when you see a party going on in a field by your house.

You stop your car and you see a young girl (that you don't know) driving one of your cars out the yard and turning on to the highway.

Now this maybe car theft (your property) so you tell the girl to stop and draw your gun.

She refuses to stop, slowly turns on to the highway (at a slow speed..)

She has turned in front of you so the front wheel side of the car is directly in front of you..

You move to the left to "intercept" the car...

If she "hits" you and you land on the hood...Do you have the right to shoot 4 times through the windshield of the car and kill her?

If you were on the hood, you could have rolled off the hood in safety.

Again this car is travelling at a very slow rate of speed, it just turned on to the highway...

Is shooting and killing someone for stealing your car a lawful use of deadly force?

If you are on car hood, at a slow rate of speed, you can clearly roll off without endangering your life!

As a civilian, when the police arrive you, would be arrested and at least charged with manslaughter.

A prosecution lawyer could state:
1) you were not in emanate danger when you arrived at the scene
2) you chose to move your body in the direction of the car to try to stop it.
3) If you had not moved your body in the direction of the car, you would not have been in any danger.
4) The driver of the car was no threat to you when she turned on to the road.
5) The only thing she was "guilty" of was not obeying your command to stop the car.
6) You don't know why she was driving the car away from you and not obeying your command!
6) If she did drive away what would be the worst "crime" she could be charged with? Car theft? You don't even know if it was car theft!
7) Even if it was car theft, is car theft a crime a civilian can use as justification for using deadly force?

I believe as a civilian you would be convicted as unjustified use of deadly force.

So for a police offices there is a difference?

I respect the police and what they do, however there are a large majority who have an "alpha" mentality about themselves and the authority they are given. Too often I have seen instances when their attitude gets very combative when you don't immediately obey their orders. I'm not sure if its because they feel it's a disrespect to them or their authority, but the will get your "attention" using what ever is necessary to let you know who is in charge and what authority they have and will use if necessary.

As others have said, we don't know the whole truth...or how it will end.
All we do know is a girl is dead.

p.s. When someone is put on paid administrated leave... it is not a punishment.
Another term for the "paid leave" is vacation!
So for killing this girl, this policeman is put on a no limiting extended vacation until the matter is resolved.
So the "crime" fits the "punishment"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom