JCV's First AR Build (DONE)

JCV

NES Member
DONE! Thanks to everyone on this board who gave me advice and helped me out!
photo7nuk.jpg

Hey guys!
I'm working on my first build, still in the process of getting all the parts together but I'm almost there!! I've definitely learned a lot in the past few months thanks to everyone on this board! This gun's primary use will just be target shooting down at the range and possibly home defense. Really just looking forward to having a good time shooting it. I'm going to try to assemble it myself by reading and watching as many videos online which I think I should be good if I do.

I am open to all tips, suggestions, advice and criticism.

What I've got so far:
-I've got uppers and lowers coming in from the recent group buys.
Lower:
-Doublestar LPK
-Hogue rubber grip
-Extended trigger guard
-ACE ARFX skeleton stock
-A2 stock completion kit

BCG:
-Baer Precision BCG

Upper:
-Rainier Arms 14.5" Barrel
-BCM Gunfighter charging handle
-Charging Handle roll pin
-Ejection port cover pin
-Ejection port cover spring
-Ejection port dust cover
-Pin retaining ring
-Forward assist assembly round (looking at it I may have bought the wrong item. Is this for .308's only or is the site saying it can be used in .308's with the use of another additional part? I'm using it for a 556. DPMSward Assist Assembly Round AR-15 LR-308 Matte)

Barrel Assembly:
-12" Midwest industries gen 2 SS series one piece free float handguard rifle length
-YHM low profile gas block
-Magpul MBUS
-Barrel nut
-Peel washer
-Delta ring
-Gas tube roll pin
-Muzzle brake
-gas tube

What is missing from this list that I need?
What kinds of tools will I need? I know I need a vise for some part to be installed and I've got vise blocks.

I feel like I'm missing some question's but that is what this thread is for.

Thanks in advance for all answers to these questions and then some.

(not pictured, mags&ammo)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Last edited:
As far as tools you might be able to find someone near you that has an armorers wrench or buy one. Also a set of punches for the roll pins.

anyone recommend a specific brand for an armorers wrench?
I'm going to need my own because this won't be my only build.
Good call on the punches, forgot about them.

I've been using a DPMS Multi-Tool for the last 6 years or so - no complaints. Does everything I need on an AR. There are some really nice tools out there, but unless I lose this one....

if you're using a free float rail you wont need the delta ring. did you rail come with a proprietary nut? you will also need a muzzle brake since the barrel you linked is threaded(I could be wrong) and a torque wrench

Last edited:
JCV. If you need any help, tools, or any questions feel free to PM me. I've got a couple new mid length gas tubes & pins also. I was gonna offer you one but saw you bought one. I'm right in Saugus.

Thanks for the helpful info everyone.

Are there any specific brakes i should look at? Also what size punches will I need?

Thanks for the helpful info everyone.

Are there any specific brakes i should look at? Also what size punches will I need?

depend on your budget. they can be as low as 25 or into the hundreds.

heres a guide from arfcom. i build a few lowers without punches. it can be done with a shoe and a hammer, really.

:: Guides

I didn't use any punches on ym first 2 builds. It makes it easier, but you don't need them.

For my 3rd build though, I bought a set from Grainger.

Just remember that when putting in the pins, the springs will give resistance. Sometimes they want to fly away while trying to install them. I try to build when it's quiet, so if they do fly, I can hear them hit something or when they land. They are small parts so just take your time and watch some of the videos to assist you. Some good info out there for sure.

Just remember that when putting in the pins, the springs will give resistance. Sometimes they want to fly away while trying to install them. I try to build when it's quiet, so WHEN they do fly, I can hear them hit something or when they land. They are small parts so just take your time and watch some of the videos to assist you. Some good info out there for sure.

FIFY [smile]

The key is to always have extra detents, springs, etc on hand. You are bound to lose some at some point.

Try using an XL zip-loc freezer bag when it comes time for spring installs.

Place the lower in the bag and compress the springs while in there.

If something goes flying, it should remain in the bag.

Aesthetically, I'd like one.
What are the differences betwee different brakes, as they do range from $25-$200+ there has to be some major differences, correct?

Just ordered a brake.
Today I received my barrel and my pin retaining ring.

I BELIEVE I have every part needed to have a complete AR15. Going by my parts list on the first page can anyone confirm this? Did I miss anything?

Lots of good info here.

I was going to ask about a parts list but here we are.

I have lower coming, just ordered a stripped DPMS upper, going to start cobbling together the rest of the parts for my first build

Back
Top Bottom