Jay Severin back on the air, discussing Boston PD using 'assault rifles' as I type

I heard both calls & was wondering if the guy was Jim. Nancy...I hate this phrase but it's fitting here: "You go girl".

Yes that was Jim Wallace, I heard the start when he called in. He identified him as Jim Wallace of GOAL.

Someone should point out that a semi-auto rifle is not an assault rifle, but that's trival now. ;)

It is according to the dictionary (websters), Mass General Law, and the United States Code. What source material can you point to that states it needs to be select fire in order to be an assualt rifle?

This misconception is pet peeve number 44. Assault weapons and assault rifles are 2 different things.

The term "assault rifle" has been defined since WWII and is an evolution of the battle rifle. The traditional definition is "A military rifle, capable of controlled, fully-automatic fire from the shoulder, with an effective range of at least 300 metres". Wikipedia actually has a pretty good discussion of the definition of "assault rifle", where it came from, and how it differs from"assault weapon". Even if you discount Wikipedia, one can consult the references which include US Army documents for the matching definition.

The term assault weapon as now used was created by the gun control crowd for the Federal Assault Weapon Ban to cover scary military-style semi-automatic rifles, pistols and shotguns. Again, Wikipedia has some good information and references here.

It is according to the dictionary (websters),
Websters, and a few other online dictionaries, are wrong. Other reputable sources, like Encyclopedia Britanica, continue with the traditional definition, although even they have begun to conflate the two terms.

If I want to put on my conspiracy hat I would wonder if the traditional definition of "assault rifle" is being expanded to incorporate semi-automatic assault weapons to further some form of gun-control purposes. IMNSHO folks like the Brady crowd do not want people to understand the differences, and the implications of these differences; they'd rather the sheeple think of them as one and the same.
Mass General Law, and the United States Code.
Nope. Neither Mass General Laws nor the United States Code define the term "assault rifle". They both define the term "assault weapon" in conjunction with the state <spit> and repealed federal AWBs specifically to exclude automatic or select fire weapons.
What source material can you point to that states it needs to be select fire in order to be an assualt rifle?
See above for references.

Last edited:
I was thinking that yesterday. He says he's big into guns. I figure someone, somwhere has seen him at a range. Maybe they don't recognize him?

He could go home at night, open the safe and admire his babies. Or he can be like every other radio personality and be full of shit or big into guns like wikipedia big into guns. Hey, there are many possibilities. [thinking]

If he as the $ to put a studio in his house he may also have the $ to install a small range in the basement.

I was thinking that yesterday. He says he's big into guns. I figure someone, somwhere has seen him at a range. Maybe they don't recognize him?

I'm not sure where he lives but I've been considering asking him to shoot with us. Perhaps at an event. I think it would be the icing on the cake.

And I'm thrilled Jim called in. He should be a regular commentator.

If he as the $ to put a studio in his house he may also have the $ to install a small range in the basement.

I've never heard that he paid for the studio, I'd actually assume that either the station or the syndicate that put him on nationally paid for it.

Speaking of which, he always implied that he lived locally although before he went into syndication he was actually doing the show from Long Island, NY. Which was why he never talked about local issues.

Is he now living in MA or is he still in New York?

Back
Top Bottom