Japanese Gun Control

It was a subtle joke (think illegal immigration). [rolleyes].

That would be infiltration; not invasion. [wink]

As for the population differential, the Japanese made serious incursions into China, and with little serious opposition, despite that unfavorable ratio.

That would be infiltration; not invasion. [wink]

As for the population differential, the Japanese made serious incursions into China, and with little serious opposition, despite that unfavorable ratio.

I like to think people in the US would resist a bit more than that. Maybe I'm wrong.

There are some inaccuracies to the article. Japanese citizens can own rifles and there are gun shops in the Tokyo area that specialize in them...but they are EXTREMELY expensive. I applied for my hunting license but couldn't afford the yearly fee of 70,000yen. To get a rifle, one must first own a shotgun and pass a practical & written test. Next, said person must be a member of a club and shoot a rimfire and build up a minimum of 5 years experience with it. Another practical & written test and said person can purchase a rimfire rifle. Centerfire follows the same path but must come after the rimfire procedure. I'll have to check some of my Japanese gun magazines again but there are some links to stores there along with some prices (Marlin 336=1500.00 USD) if anyone is interested.

This article is from back in 93. The bulk of the article is historical so I still think it's a good thing to post. Any chance the the availability of rifles has opened up since then, Mattitude?

Squid, I don't think that any changes permitting ownership since then...I think that the article (like most of them concerning the subject) wasn't fully researched or information was from word-of-mouth rather than published Japanese law. FYI there are only 50 legally owned handguns in Japan and they are used for olympic competition only. Regular gun owners (in Japan) must verify registration yearly at their local police box (a small station) and can be inspected by the police at any time by appointment. Firearms must be stored in a safe and the owner is the only person allowed access to them. The handguns are only stored at a police box and can only be checked out for competition.

Actually, I recall the article covering briefly exactly the procedure you just talked about for Japanese citizens to own shotguns and rifles.

Back
Top Bottom