• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

It's obvious that the cops are NOT on the side of the citizenry, but muscle for the politicians, and deep state.

Part of the problem is politicians not supporting them. Why the hell would a cop want to make a traffic stop and first, risk being shot. Second, have to put up with some snot nosed kid pushing their buttons, all the while having a cell phone camera shoved in their face, third, being call a racist? “ You pulled me over just because I’m (fill in the blank)”. “ No, I pulled you over because you just ran that red light”. It’s a no win situation. I know a couple LEO’s that got out because they don’t want the BS that goes along with the job. They are not supported by liberal politicians, many in the general public, and in a lot of cases their own administration. It’s sad really.

I disagree.

First, MSP detectives still work in the AG and DAs’ offices.

Second, highway patrol is best done by a statewide agency. if I get on the Mass Pike in Natick and drive into Boston, over that short distance the local jurisdiction would go from Natick to Weston, to Waltham, to Newton, to Boston — those local cops couldn’t effectively patrol the Turnpike.

Third, the MA county governments were so corrupt and incompetent that even the Democratic-controlled MA legislature couldn’t look the other way and they disbanded most of the county government. As bad as the recent State Police scandals have been, MA county government was worse. The current Sheriff’s departments are corrections officers and process servers, not cops — as much as they try to convince themselves that they are real law enforcement officers, they simply aren’t in MA.
Those are "Troopers" who answer the to Colonel of the State Police. When there were State Police Detective Lts. they were a separate branch of the Dept of Public Safety and had their own boss.
The Sheriff has Constitutional authority as the Chief Law Enforcement Officer for the County. Contrary to popular belief in Mass. He is cop and his/her deputies have all the powers of Police Officers and Constables. I think that you need a refresher on your history and civics.

ok, what mechanism electorate has to control the actions of chief of state police? whom does that chief reports to? who appoints and gives him orders?
The Colonel of the State Police is appointed by the governor.
how in the world can it be better than a sheriff who gets re-elected by the constituents on regular intervals?
In practice, county government in MA was horrifically and incompetent. So corrupt that even the Democratic legislature couldn’t look away.

Furthermore, pretty much every state in the nation has a state police department. There are crimes that cross county boundaries that are better served by a state agency than by competing county agencies.

CORRUPTION!!!! There is nothing more corrupt in Mass than the State Police. They wrote the book on corruption. Lets see there was the padding the underway hours for the Marine unit so that they could qualify for their Coast Guard Captains licenses, Oh then the unworked overtime. How about the broad who was the squeeze of one of the bosses. Shall we go on. The Sheriff is answerable to the voters of the county.

county government in MA was horrifically and incompetent.
cannot take such thing seriously, as it is as old as a human history itself - a complaint that a tyrant dictator is always an improvement over corrupt elected official.

The Sheriff has Constitutional authority as the Chief Law Enforcement Officer for the County. Contrary to popular belief in Mass. He is cop and his/her deputies have all the powers of Police Officers and Constables. I think that you need a refresher on your history and civics.
They have that authority but not the experience or expertise. Sheriffs and deputies in MA run the jails, transport prisoners, and serve subpoenas. That is about all they do. As much as they claim otherwise, they aren’t cops — they simply don’t do that job.

cannot take such thing seriously, as it is as old as a human history itself - a complaint that a tyrant dictator is always an improvement over corrupt elected official.
Sorry, but it was the reality. The county government was far more corrupt than the State Police. That’s the simple truth, like it or not.

They have that authority but not the experience or expertise. Sheriffs and deputies in MA run the jails, transport prisoners, and serve subpoenas. That is about all they do. As much as they claim otherwise, they aren’t cops — they simply don’t do that job.
I know you are a "Mod" and all knowing and all wise.

Those are "Troopers" who answer the to Colonel of the State Police. When there were State Police Detective Lts. they were a separate branch of the Dept of Public Safety and had their own boss.
There certainly are states that split the highway patrol from the statewide detectives. I think that is true of Texas (Texas Highway Patrol versus Texas Rangers) and some other states. I don’t have an opinion as to whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. My opinion is just that we need 1) statewide highway patrol and 2) statewide criminal investigations bureau.

There certainly are states that split the highway patrol from the statewide detectives. I think that is true of Texas (Texas Highway Patrol versus Texas Rangers) and some other states. I don’t have an opinion as to whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. My opinion is just that we need 1) statewide highway patrol and 2) statewide criminal investigations bureau.
That is what Mass "had" with the Detective Lts. The powers of the State Police had it done away with as the Detective Lts. They Didn't answer to Corrupt Political Appointees.

4 hour minimum charge!
Look, there are Staties that work the FULL 8 hour details, sitting directly in the way of the drop off lane at every terminal at Logan yelling at people who stop and take 3 seconds under duress to load their wives bags into the trunk after a flight.

Once and a while they should get a cherry job where they can collect 8 for a 2 hour detail man.

Back
Top Bottom