It's Fred's Fault - $525 Funshow Finds

I made it late to the Gun Show in Waterville, Me yesterday, but not too late to do some economic stimulus duties as a responsible firearms owner should. I bought two SKS's on Saturday, and I'll get to those later, because this thread is about a 1905 Finn M91 Tula Mosin Nagant - and Fred, of course.

I spied the gun just before the show closed, and came home to study it a bit before making a decision. I PM'd the details to Fred and waited, waited, waited and about five minutes before I needed to leave for the show this morning, I got his return message. Kind of went like this:

"Buy it. I gotta run to a Gun Show myself"

So I bought it. $125 OTD. I'm not too great with these, but you guys tell me what I have, and how well Fred did.

mosin_1905_019.jpg

mosin_1905_003.jpg

mosin_1905_005.jpg

mosin_1905_004.jpg

mosin_1905_007.jpg

mosin_1905_008.jpg

mosin_1905_010.jpg

mosin_1905_011.jpg

mosin_1905_012.jpg

mosin_1905_009.jpg

mosin_1905_014.jpg

mosin_1905_015.jpg

mosin_1905_020.jpg

mosin_1905_021.jpg

The other $400 went toward a no-import marked '69 Chicom SKS for $225, and a mismatched Sino-Soviet SKS for $175.

mosin_1905_013.jpg

I'd have paid all that except for the non import marked 69' Chicom. I have quite a few been there done that models w/out import stamps already.[grin]

Good deal on that M91 though.

I really need to start heading up north to some of these shows.

OK I will admit it I steered you wrong.......so I will buy it from you.Only kidding.[laugh] Its a score !!! It is a non refurb which is a great find, the Czars eagles are intact which is great. As Ray stated I need to get up north to these shows. I am missing out on way to many items!!

Congrats buddy you did good[cheers]

p.s. Can I have first dibs if you want to sell it please[wink]

Last edited:
Actually, your brief message this morning gave me the information I was looking for, Fred. I appreciate it very much. My description from seeing it the night before was not very clear, but you told me what to look for, and it turned out great. Very pleased, and again, thank you.

And I do have a question. The receiver tang looks to be an 1899 from Sestroryetsk. So would it be a non-refurb?

mosin_1905_001.jpg

Actually, your brief message this morning gave me the information I was looking for, Fred. I appreciate it very much. My description from seeing it the night before was not very clear, but you told me what to look for, and it turned out great. Very pleased, and again, thank you.

And I do have a question. The receiver tang looks to be an 1899 from Sestroryetsk. So would it be a non-refurb?

Well my friend you scored even more than I thought earlier...Sestrotyetsk is rare so not only did you steal the darn thing you hit the daily double. When I said a non refurb I was referring to the recent imports that were refurbred and stored by the Russians. They have that flat black finish and appear almost new. The lack of bluing etc. makes your find all the more desirable.

You said it was a Finn, is there a SA on marking anywhere? Also the original sight base has not had the original Russian measurements struck which is a big plus.

But all in all its really not that nice so.............sell it to me[wink]

I combed it for an SA mark, Fred. Nada.

The only Finn evidence is the metric stamping on the right side of the rear base (left side does have Arshins marks struck through), the struck and re numbered bolt, and the front sling hanger. But that evidence is pretty clear with out the SA.

The stock, another story. Tula made for the very early M91's, and the "M" and "A" marks mean that it went to Austria once... Quite an interesting piece.

How did you do at your gunshow?

I sold 2 Tula 91's years ago, .....along w/ a M27 finn and a M28. $525.00 as a package.. What a difference 4 years makes. I only paid $75.00 each. Finn '91's usually had the rear sight cut for better accuracy. I'm not seeing that on yours.

Back
Top Bottom