• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

It’s Inevitable: American Patriots Need Guns Because A War Is Coming

So back in 2020 I decided to build a model steam engine based on some videos I watched on youtube. A low pressure boiler with just enough power to generate AC electricity.

Would this be a Stirling engine? Eons ago I had a small model and a book describing it. Thought it was clever at the time but had forgotten about it until now.

Curious about this line..

"The scariest single conversation I’ve ever heard in my life was five Special Forces guys having a fun thought exercise about how they would bring a major American city to its knees. They picked Chicago, because it was a place they’d all been. It was fascinating, and utterly terrifying. And I’ll never ever put any of it in a book, because I don’t want to give crazy people any ideas. Give it about a week and people would be eating each other (and gee whiz, take one wild guess what the political leanings of most Green Berets are?)."
I wrote a series of books a few years ago that involves such a scenario. The gist of the chapter was the U.S. activated a cell in a foreign nation that had been there for years planning how to create total chaos if they were called upon to do so at the onset of a conflict. They've since been removed from active publishing.

I tell ya, it would not take much. Chicago is already on its knees just waiting to be finished off. The glue loosely holding the fabric of our society together is that most people have decently comfortable lives. Remove that comfort and the cookie crumbles quickly. It wouldn't take unit guys to do it either, though that certainly wouldn't hurt. Just a couple of angry people with nothing to lose and a little bit of creativity.

An EMP attack is the nightmare we don't want to face, when the CCP balloon was flying across the Country that was what I was thinking.
Dementia Joe had to beg Putin NOT to cyber hack critical infrastructure last year so we are very vulnerable to our enemies' attacks.
Nuclear war is old hat, EMP and cyber attacks are the way to go now and we are NOT prepared.

...and pretty much all of them can be dropped into chaos by:

article-2480407-1915AF6500000578-806_636x382.jpg

Speaking of bridges, tho... in terms of Northeast Corridor traffic and river crossings, everyone likes to think of, e.g. the Connecticut River. There are shockingly few crossings, though, of the Housatonic.
There are FAR easier ways to disable the grid.

It is incredibly dumb to think that people will rise or "almost rose up" and start a civil war. The fact is, the government has enough surveillance and embedded intelligence to disrupt ANY organizing efforts. Organizing is foundational to starting any conflict. One needs a government willing to protect and help organize individuals to fight a civil war. That's what happened during the US Civil War. Today, the government is no longer in charge of the law enforcement apparatus and cannot order the FBI to stop going after organizing efforts, nor is the government capable of disbanding the FBI. In other words, stop being a fool and pretend there can be a civil war.

On the other hand, the country can descend into poverty, but that will take decades, even after China takes over as the world leader. Having a firearm to protect yourself is proper, but pretending that you can participate in overturning the "tyrannical government" is from the realm of fantasy.

It's happening in my town in Central Mass. They are taking over the school committee and the board of selectmen. They are very well funded, very well organized, and very vocal.
Yup it’s happened in my town. When Trump was elected they formed a local group to protest and they have deep national connections. They crept into the School board and the schools. The principals are woke nutjobs. They snuck into the town boards, the library and Town meeting and have had a majority on the select board for about 7 years. We get good candidates to run but they are called homophobes and other horrible things. Most people don’t care and don’t get involved.

I don’t think we can beat them. Like minded people flee the town after their kids graduate from High School only to be replaced by liberal millennials. Right behind them are Gen Z who vote and are super left wing.

I've been saying for a while in response to proposed AWBs, mag limits, etc. We have NO IDEA what threats good Americans a hundred, or two hundred years from now may face. Marauding armies of illegal immigrant muslim transexuals may rise up in defense of their right to molest altar boys. Radicals from the left, right, religious, racial, or any other divisive trait might necessitate having a personal defense weapon handy at all times. I'll be God damned if I let well-meaning but ill-advised political puppets of today disarm my great-great-great-great grandchildren on my watch.

Even today, if three or four thugs decide to carjack you, a ten round mag won't be enough.

We really need to, as a whole, push back with the righteous defense of "SHALL NOT BE MUTHAPHUCKIN INFRINGED, MUTHAPHUCKAS!"

er sumpin

During the start of covid I remember the news saying things like 2 or 3 million people will die. But what most people don't think about is just how few people there are that actually the entire countries power grid. I mean even the smartest electrical engineer if they could roll into a control room, would they know what switches and controls to restart a power plant if all of the employees died from some lethal pandemic. It could be months or years until

So I started thinking to myself, if we had restart society in the event of a collapse how could we do it, using what exists today? Many homes have solar power but some equipment depends on internet connectivity and isn't really and truly standalone. If I myself had to restart humanity, how far back in time would I need to go in order to get society to a point where power generation could restore humanity. I can't use gas because there's no gas or diesel pumps any longer. Solar has a limited capability to generate electricity especially where I live. The only thing I could think is going back to burning wood or coal, in other words steam power.

So I think if there was enough collapse of civilization it might be possible to resurrect from the ashes by going back to 18th century steam power and creating electric power, at least enough to be able to jump start an electrical plant and get it running, or provide enough power in order to make components needed to restart electrical power.

Once the power is gone it's going to be a quick trip to the bottom especially for people unprepared for a situation.

So back in 2020 I decided to build a model steam engine based on some videos I watched on youtube. A low pressure boiler with just enough power to generate AC electricity. I wanted to use components that could be easily cobbled together but generate electricity using only wood as fuel. It took me a few months to figure everything out, but I did whip something together (I'll add some pictures later) and I could generate some ac current. It was actually fun.

But I think if society did collapse and if the power were to go out forever, there would be some value in working with other people to generate power in order to bring society back online or as online it could be. That's kind of where I am and where I think I could be valuable in a post civilizational collapse.
Refrigeration is the real beginning of civilization as far as I can see. Of course, reliable electricity is a must but refrigeration keeps us from having our lives revolve around the acquisition of food and its preservation on a constant basis.

Yup it’s happened in my town. When Trump was elected they formed a local group to protest and they have deep national connections. They crept into the School board and the schools. The principals are woke nutjobs. They snuck into the town boards, the library and Town meeting and have had a majority on the select board for about 7 years. We get good candidates to run but they are called homophobes and other horrible things. Most people don’t care and don’t get involved.

I don’t think we can beat them. Like minded people flee the town after their kids graduate from High School only to be replaced by liberal millennials. Right behind them are Gen Z who vote and are super left wing.
2%ofthepassionate.jpg

During the start of covid I remember the news saying things like 2 or 3 million people will die. But what most people don't think about is just how few people there are that actually the entire countries power grid. I mean even the smartest electrical engineer if they could roll into a control room, would they know what switches and controls to restart a power plant if all of the employees died from some lethal pandemic. It could be months or years until

So I started thinking to myself, if we had restart society in the event of a collapse how could we do it, using what exists today? Many homes have solar power but some equipment depends on internet connectivity and isn't really and truly standalone. If I myself had to restart humanity, how far back in time would I need to go in order to get society to a point where power generation could restore humanity. I can't use gas because there's no gas or diesel pumps any longer. Solar has a limited capability to generate electricity especially where I live. The only thing I could think is going back to burning wood or coal, in other words steam power.

So I think if there was enough collapse of civilization it might be possible to resurrect from the ashes by going back to 18th century steam power and creating electric power, at least enough to be able to jump start an electrical plant and get it running, or provide enough power in order to make components needed to restart electrical power.

Once the power is gone it's going to be a quick trip to the bottom especially for people unprepared for a situation.

So back in 2020 I decided to build a model steam engine based on some videos I watched on youtube. A low pressure boiler with just enough power to generate AC electricity. I wanted to use components that could be easily cobbled together but generate electricity using only wood as fuel. It took me a few months to figure everything out, but I did whip something together (I'll add some pictures later) and I could generate some ac current. It was actually fun.

But I think if society did collapse and if the power were to go out forever, there would be some value in working with other people to generate power in order to bring society back online or as online it could be. That's kind of where I am and where I think I could be valuable in a post civilizational collapse.

I could restart a power plant with the help of a few people. We did it in small scale in school. It's pretty easy, they're usually just a big engine. You have to spool the system up, sync it to the grid, and then connect it. You need the 60 Hz to match so when you're at 0 volts the grid is also. They all have the same control, two knobs to control coarse and fine and a needle you need to read 0. You turn the knobs to speed up and slow down the spinning dial and flip the on switch at the right time, when it reads 0. Tons of electrical systems use this, it's also really common on big boats. Then there's distribution switching that you would have to isolate broken legs with. Either a centralized computer system or you could always manually override on at the substations. You would need security for these locations, and repairing distribution lines in a post-apocalyptic scenario would be a nightmare.

I could restart a power plant with the help of a few people. We did it in small scale in school. It's pretty easy, they're usually just a big engine. You have to spool the system up, sync it to the grid, and then connect it. You need the 60 Hz to match so when you're at 0 volts the grid is also. They all have the same control, two knobs to control coarse and fine and a needle you need to read 0. You turn the knobs to speed up and slow down the spinning dial and flip the on switch at the right time, when it reads 0. Tons of electrical systems use this, it's also really common on big boats. Then there's distribution switching that you would have to isolate broken legs with. Either a centralized computer system or you could always manually override on at the substations. You would need security for these locations, and repairing distribution lines in a post-apocalyptic scenario would be a nightmare.
Starting a power station takes a large amount of power.
While I don't know the exact amount it's not going to be supplied by a homeowner genset.

While I don't know the exact amount it's not going to be supplied by a homeowner genset.
Sure, but we six cyclists from NES could hook it up to one of those party bikes...
PARTY+BIKE.jpg

and do a black start, because we're such studs.

I know the two of you know what this process looks like, but this is a pretty good video for the rest of us:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uOSnQM1Zu4w

Never said anything about a homeowner genset. I'm talking about being in the control room, getting the engines spooled and online.

The big nat gas/diesel generators are usually started with compressed air, which is provided by another smaller generator onsite.

Never said anything about a homeowner genset. I'm talking about being in the control room, getting the engines spooled and online.

The big nat gas/diesel generators are usually started with compressed air, which is provided by another smaller generator onsite.
Got it - I was imagining a large multi gigawatt steam plant starting cold.
If it's a smaller engine driven plant that's likely very different.

Got it - I was imagining a large multi gigawatt steam plant starting cold.
If it's a smaller engine driven plant that's likely very different.

I don't think a steam plant is all that different. Just scaled up. Like I said, I would need a small team. I bet me you Kim Palladin and Mountain could do it. Some engineers, some techs, some mechanics.

I don't think a steam plant is all that different. Just scaled up. Like I said, I would need a small team. I bet me you Kim Palladin and Mountain could do it.
The amount of power to get all of the necessary pumps and controllers running is pretty damn big
Would need to work up to a big boy plant but in a doomsday scenario you do what you need to even if a few things get the smoke released

LOL, actually, if you are in the know it is harder to fix. As in YEARS before replacement. Just got to know what is what.
Erecting a tower can be done very quickly. And the material to erect it is readily available and easy to reproduce.
For whatever reason, ISO/Eversource decided to put a substation at the approach end of 36 at KOXC and - predictably - someone dropped a homebuilt into it. It wasn't down that long.

ROW out in the middle of East Bumfuk that you have to get materials, crane, and crew to, though... Look at the prolonged outages due to ice storms.

For whatever reason, ISO/Eversource decided to put a substation at the approach end of 36 at KOXC and - predictably - someone dropped a homebuilt into it. It wasn't down that long.

ROW out in the middle of East Bumfuk that you have to get materials, crane, and crew to, though... Look at the prolonged outages due to ice storms.
I've only overseen the construction of transmission and distribution systems for 15 years, subs and high wire. So I guess I know less than a frigging aspie. [rofl2] Hell, my guys tested and commissioned that substation you mentioned.
Ice storm damage is to the distribution lines. In many locations. Lots of manpower needed everywhere, with no idea where the damage originates. Usually due to a contact with veg.
One tower down would be replaced in a week, if that.

I've only overseen the construction of transmission and distribution systems for 15 years, subs and high wire. So I guess I know less than a frigging aspie. [rofl2] Hell, my guys tested and commissioned that substation you mentioned.
Ice storm damage is to the distribution lines. In many locations. Lots of manpower needed everywhere, with no idea where the damage originates. Usually due to a contact with veg.
One tower down would be replaced in a week, if that.
Well, let's make it TWO, on separate ROWs feeding a sizeable load.

Still, one week. Tops. There are literally towers on pieces sitting in yards......And most are assembled with a helicopter now. Not a crane.
The foundation takes longer to cure than the actual erection of the tower.
Even so... one week sans juice is a LONG time for a city.

Back
Top Bottom