Is this possible?

I have a USP 40 that I very much enjoy. However, after purchasing a Brugger & Thomet rail system for it only to see it chew the heck out of the accessory mount, I have turned into one of those anti-plastic types when it comes to weapons, especially the receiver. I know there are gunsmiths that make custom 1911 frames all the time. I was wondering if anybody knew of one who did frames for a USP. Also, if there are people out there that will do it, is it legal in MA?

Since I firmly believe that at least one of those question is going to come up as a “no”, my next question is, can I make one with the help of a gunsmith? My understanding of law is that one can make their own firearms as long as they don’t sell them. I don’t have the tools necessary to make one by myself so I would have to get a gunsmith to make one “most of the way” and I would finish it off (in a manor similar to how people build AKs out of flats.) So my next question would be (needy little bugger aren’t I) exactly how far can a gunsmith take a gun before it becomes a receiver that needs an FFL transfer?

And after all that is aside, would the final device even be legal in this miserable state? The gun that it goes to is pre-ban but the new frame would be made post ban. Could I get around it if it were legally considered a replacement? (Which it is since the old frame is now damaged)

You're going to fab a frame from scratch for a USP? Good
luck. The costs of fabbing it out will likely outstrip the value of the
gun by like 10 times or more. Since the frame is plastic that
typically means its molded- if you want it molded differently you'd
have to make your own molds, etc. Hell, it would probably be
cheaper to CNC mill a steel frame for it.

Anyways, if you "make your own gun" in MA, all you have to do
is register it on an FA-10 once it becomes a functional firearm. It's
that simple.

Edit: Getting someone else to "do it for you" is probably impossible, at
least in MA. If you had a gunsmith that didn't qualify as a handgun
purveyor they could probably build you something and then burn up a private
transfer, but thats about it. That'd be the only way it gets past all the
dumb MA sales regs. If you built it yourself, that could all be dodged.

-Mike

Last edited:
You're going to fab a frame from scratch for a USP? Good luck. The costs of fabbing it out will likely outstrip the value of the gun by like 10 times or more. Since the frame is plastic that typically means its molded- if you want it molded differently you'd have to make your own molds, etc. Hell, it would probably be cheaper to CNC mill a steel frame for it.

Sorry. I thought by my "anti-plastic" comments that it was understood that it would be a metal frame. That is exactly what I'm looking for.... somebody to make a frame out of metal.

Anyways, if you "make your own gun" in MA, all you have to do is register it on an FA-10 once it becomes a functional firearm. It's that simple.

So if what you are saying is right, I could have a gunsmith completely manufacture the frame except for leaving 1 hole undrilled or some other small detail undone. And as long as it does not allow the gun to function (or a safer bet to not even fit on the slide) then I’m good?

Edit: Getting someone else to "do it for you" is probably impossible, at least in MA. If you had a gunsmith that didn't qualify as a handgun purveyor they could probably build you something and then burn up a private transfer, but thats about it. That'd be the only way it gets past all the dumb MA sales regs. If you built it yourself, that could all be dodged.

That is exactly why I’d be having him build it MOST of the way. If it isn’t built up to the level of being a legal firearm then won’t be an issue. My question is how far can it be built before it counts as a firearm. Also how much work do I have to do in order to legally say that I built it?

I’ve heard some say the frame can be built up to 80% by a gunsmith. However I do not remember where I heard that or if it’s even true or not.

Heh heh... I've debated that at times but I just like it too much. I'll let you know if I change my mind though

Sorry. I thought by my "anti-plastic" comments that it was understood that it would be a metal frame. That is exactly what I'm looking for.... somebody to make a frame out of metal.

So if what you are saying is right, I could have a gunsmith completely manufacture the frame except for leaving 1 hole undrilled or some other small detail undone. And as long as it does not allow the gun to function (or a safer bet to not even fit on the slide) then I’m good?

That is exactly why I’d be having him build it MOST of the way. If it isn’t built up to the level of being a legal firearm then won’t be an issue. My question is how far can it be built before it counts as a firearm. Also how much work do I have to do in order to legally say that I built it?

I’ve heard some say the frame can be built up to 80% by a gunsmith. However I do not remember where I heard that or if it’s even true or not.
80% completed is the magic number. From there on you're on your own. However... without BATFE verification, what is considered 80% complete for a USP40 is a guess at best (on a 1911 it's 80% up until the point where the slide rails need to be cut).

My guess on something like you propose is that in order to completely cover yours and the person doing the initial machine work asses is that a sample of the partially completed frame would have to be sent to the ATFs legal/technical branch for examination and a ruling (is this an 80% frame or not?). Inventors, DIY types do this all the time (especially if they plan on manufacturing and selling new ideas).

From what I understand, there's a process where the examiner will take the submission and if it can be machined into a complete frame in XXX (I don't recall what the number is), hours or less, then it doesn't qualify as being 80% (or less), complete.

Hrmmm... looks to me like I'm going to have to find a gunsmith who will let me hang out in his shop and use his tools for a day or two[thinking]

Back
Top Bottom