Is this a threaded barrel? (Arsenal AK)

MadRussian

Army Veteran
Here is my question...the AWB lists the "threaded barrel" as a one of the "evil" features. How ever, the AK74-type series threads the front sight post assembly, not the barrel. So here is my question: does this actually fall under the AWB?
The last picture is a good comparison between the classic AK47 threaded barrel and the AK74 threaded front sight post.
What about the threaded sight post being father down the barrel and nowhere near the muzzle?
slr107cr_2.jpg

Circle10010.jpg

P.S. I know the folding stock is a No-Go. I'm just talking about the barrel.

looks like a threaded barrel to me, the language i believe is...
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor

i know with AKs you can get flash suppressors in various thread sizes like 14mm, 22mm etc

i dont see how someone could get around the AWB with it even if it isn't part of the barrel but then again i'm no expert

Last edited:
I would say it is, in both cases its threaded. If the vendor will weld the thing (brake or barrel nut) on there, then that would make the threads no longer count as they're not usable anymore.

-Mike

Never grind them off, fill them instead. That way if you move to a free state you can carefully Dremel out the material and have the original lug shape back.

I believe the law allows you to silver-solder (melting temp > 1,000deg) the barrel nut or break instead of welding. That also may be reversable by a good gunsmith if you move to a free state.

I figured the top picture might be OK since you can't really attach anything to it with how far the barrel sticks out. - I guess not...
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, hand grip, or suppressor
And, to follow the quote, and since the reassessed threaded front sight is not legal...what about this...

upperassy09.JPG

It's threaded, and its meant to attached hand grips...OH NO!

So what's the difference between a threaded barrel nut and a threaded front sight post?

At this point I'm just having fun with the stupidity of the laws.

I believe the law allows you to silver-solder (melting temp > 1,000deg) the barrel nut or break instead of welding. That also may be reversable by a good gunsmith if you move to a free state.

That's not MA law. That may have been ATF regs at the time the federal AWB was still active, but not MA law.

I figured the top picture might be OK since you can't really attach anything to it with how far the barrel sticks out. - I guess not...

And, to follow the quote, and since the reassessed threaded front sight is not legal...what about this...

upperassy09.JPG

It's threaded, and its meant to attached hand grips...OH NO!

So what's the difference between a threaded barrel nut and a threaded front sight post?

At this point I'm just having fun with the stupidity of the laws.

The law bans flash suppressors and threaded barrels that are able to accept a flash suppressor. I don't think one can put a flash suppressor on the chamber side of the barrel.

It also bans the "shoulder thing that goes up", so there is all sorts of confusion with the law.

Back
Top Bottom