Is there any way to know the status of a firearm..

..That's awaiting approval for "the list"? Namely the S&W M&P in .45?

I was originally planning on waiting until it's approved, but the 2 free magazine deal is really pushing me towards getting an M&P in .40, I'm just not sure if that the .40 would pack enough punch for a carry/PDW. Feel free to weigh in on .40 caliber as a carry gun, or if you know of any way to check on when/if the .45 M&P will be approved.

Thanks!

Might what to call SW and ask if sent in for testing. A 40 is one of the most used personal protecting round used today.

Heavily used doesn't necessarily mean effective. See: 5.56 NATO, 9mm.

That said, the .40 does pack a pretty good punch for its size.

Yeah, not wanting to start a "what caliber is best" debate, but many people claim that a 40 is better for defensive purposes.

Just do a search in the forum...We've discussed this a few times in great detail.

That said, call Carl at Four Seasons and ask him...Chances are that he's got a good idea.

IMO there is nothing wrong with a .40 for CCW.... only thing is in this
case with the M+P .45 you will get "normal" mags for it as the normal
mags only hold 10 rounds so they don't have to do a muderous hack job
on it to get it to hold less like they do with the others.

Getting back to your original question.... is it on the EOPS roster? if it's
not even on the EOPS roster yet, then forget it. If it is, then the only way
to find out is to start talking to dealers. (or distributors, if you have the
connections).

-Mike

My understanding is that the M&P40c (compact version of the 40 which also has a 10 round 'normal' mag) and the M&P45 have both been lab tested and are simply waiting for the EOPS to publish an updated list. I have not heard if the GCAB has reviewed the testing or not, but they usually do long before the lists are updated, so I would be surprised if it wasn't ready to go.

That said, S&W have NOT been making any with the MA AG compliant trigger assembly, so even if the EOPS list is published today, it might be a while before the guns get into the sales channel.

Another hold by S&W is the Dark Earth frame color on the M&P45. Sources have said that the polymer is reacting differently than the black polymer in extreme cold weather testing.

Your local trusted FFL is still your best source of info as to when you might see one for purchase. A little deposit doesn't hurt to get at the front of the line either. Carl has put me on the 'list' for as little as 10% down on some past purchases.

Thanks for all your input, I'm gonna give Smith and Wesson a call tomorrow, and if I can get up early enough, I'll take a trip over to Four Seasons and check 'em out and talk to some of the guys there.

I was just a little skeptical of the .40 'cause I haven't heard too many people recommend it, but my cousin who's a LEO in Plymouth has a .40 as his service pistol, and everyone I've talked to has said the .40 would be adequate.

I was just a little skeptical of the .40 'cause I haven't heard too many people recommend it, but my cousin who's a LEO in Plymouth has a .40 as his service pistol, and everyone I've talked to has said the .40 would be adequate.

OK - where have you been the past 15 years? Virtually every police department in this state particularly, and the nation generally, has abandoned the 9 mm in favor of the .40 S&W.

Lots of brass available; every ammo manufacturer offers loads (usually several) for it, the reloading manuals have all the data and you can use anything from a 135 to a 185 grain bullet, lead, coated, plated, or jacketed, in a number of configurations.

You need to get out more!

OK - where have you been the past 15 years? Virtually every police department in this state particularly, and the nation generally, has abandoned the 9 mm in favor of the .40 S&W.

Lots of brass available; every ammo manufacturer offers loads (usually several) for it, the reloading manuals have all the data and you can use anything from a 135 to a 185 grain bullet, lead, coated, plated, or jacketed, in a number of configurations.

You need to get out more!

Haha, I don't do any reloading, so I'm not too familiar with grain and load size, I had heard that most PD's use the .40 S&W instead of the 9mm, but I do agree that I need to get out more.

Back
Top Bottom