IRS/ATF Raids Gun Shop in Montana

There is an easy button on this one .
If of course there was the guts and will to do it were there .
Hey IRS and ATF ,here are your new budget numbers.
View attachment 764777
Never happen.
Has one federal agency ever been dissolved without being absorbed or replaced by something worse.
Think about how many alphabets were added in the last hundred years.

Remember when the G-men wanted to get Al Capone but couldn’t get him on murder, booze, racketeering, etc so they got him on tax evasion instead? The Biden DOJ is doing the same to political opponents and the 2A community. Don’t be surprised if the IRS starts “randomly” auditing FFL owners, gun owners and conservatives at a dramatically higher rate than everyone else. Anything even slightly off? Tax evasion.
This is plausible because generally speaking being a gun owner tends to be way down the list of things generally not ascribed to you by most people not close to you.
So that kind of harassment would appear random unless it's to be used as a known tool of intimidation.
"Hey didja hear about Bob? He's getting audited. You know what THAT means."

I'm just as suspicious of people who wrap themselves in 'Murica these days.

Just because someone is on my side of things doesn't mean he's always on the up and up. This could be a witch hunt, until I see the actual indictment, who knows.
That may be true , but have you ever heard of the IRS taking 4473s ?
It's a first for me.
The ATF isn't even supposed to remove them like that as far as I know. Maybe one's related to an ongoing case , but a total grab ?
Even if the court orders them returned you know they have already been copied and in a data base which I'm sure would never me misused.

If the government flushed the entire tax, fee, and fine system, and just sent everyone a bill for local, state and federal services, payable in 12 monthly installments, you could downsize the IRS, and stop the privacy violations.

Of course, this would eliminate the ability for government to hide how much they are really taking, thus preventing a fair evaluation of how much we are getting for our tax dollars.

That may be true , but have you ever heard of the IRS taking 4473s ?
It's a first for me.
The ATF isn't even supposed to remove them like that as far as I know. Maybe one's related to an ongoing case , but a total grab ?
Even if the court orders them returned you know they have already been copied and in a data base which I'm sure would never me misused.
Nothing you stated is 'untrue'. Just stating that if his numbers don't match, those forms (since he's a FFL and not doing F2F transfers) would be the baseline for his sales and numbers, which is what I would assume the IRS is interested in. He could cook his books, but I doubt he'd fill out false 4473's since that would push up some red flags eventually as well.

Not my expertise, just thinking out loud.

Remember when the G-men wanted to get Al Capone but couldn’t get him on murder, booze, racketeering, etc so they got him on tax evasion instead? The Biden DOJ is doing the same to political opponents and the 2A community. Don’t be surprised if the IRS starts “randomly” auditing FFL owners, gun owners and conservatives at a dramatically higher rate than everyone else. Anything even slightly off? Tax evasion.
"starts"?

Got to love nutless republican legislators that stand around and do nothing. They obviously want it as much as the democrats do.
I believe McCarthy got a huge cut in IRS funding in the debt limit bill.

"Speaker McCarthy announced success here, including stopping new tax proposals, slashing spending, and cutting some of the massive $80 billion that the Inflation Reduction Act had promised in new funding to the IRS. There are even new work requirements being added for welfare recipients, as Speaker McCarthy explained in a news conference.

The bill that strikes the needed debt ceiling compromise is called the Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2023. And McCarthy said at only around 150 pages, it would not be necessary to pass it to see what was in it. But apart from such one-liners, there is likely to be confusion for some time to come about the IRS. When it comes to the IRS, it will rescind $1.39 billion in IRS funds that were passed as part of the Inflation Reduction Act."

Never happen.
Has one federal agency ever been dissolved without being absorbed or replaced by something worse.
Yes. One that I am aware of - The Civil Aeronautics board was dissolved early in Reagan's second term. Civil Aeronautics Board - Wikipedia

Maybe all of its functions, employees were absorbed by the FAA or DOT, so it didn't truly disappear but at least one agency name in the modern era has been dissolved.

Yes. One that I am aware of - The Civil Aeronautics board was dissolved early in Reagan's second term. Civil Aeronautics Board - Wikipedia

Maybe all of its functions, employees were absorbed by the FAA or DOT, so it didn't truly disappear but at least one agency name in the modern era has been dissolved.
The DOT employs around 57k employees so I’m not sure a change in name really mattered.

I believe McCarthy got a huge cut in IRS funding in the debt limit bill.

"Speaker McCarthy announced success here, including stopping new tax proposals, slashing spending, and cutting some of the massive $80 billion that the Inflation Reduction Act had promised in new funding to the IRS. There are even new work requirements being added for welfare recipients, as Speaker McCarthy explained in a news conference.

The bill that strikes the needed debt ceiling compromise is called the Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2023. And McCarthy said at only around 150 pages, it would not be necessary to pass it to see what was in it. But apart from such one-liners, there is likely to be confusion for some time to come about the IRS. When it comes to the IRS, it will rescind $1.39 billion in IRS funds that were passed as part of the Inflation Reduction Act."

It was a cut for one year. And it equates to 1/20th of the funds allocated.

Better than nothing but nothingburger imo.

Just wondering out loud, does the IRS have a connection with NFA tax stamps, even peripherally? Getting stacks of 4473's, identifying braced pistol transfers and then seeing if they have satisfied the tax stamp requirement (even if the stamp was not assessed a fee?) A one-two punch from AFT and IRS for those evil unregistered and untaxed SBRs. Kind of crazy but this administration doesn't seem to be shy about inventing offenses.

You can’t tell whether a pistol/handgun is “brace compliant” with the ATF ruling just by reading a 4473. There’s no picture of the gun on it, lol.

there are plenty of reasons for the IRS to seize 4473 records most of you guys aren't in the industry and aren't aware of them. For instance... lets say this dude was operating on an 07 and had built rifles off variance parts as many do but neglected to pay FET. The IRS may want to see how many of them were sold into commerce which would include not only the A&D book but the 4473's as well to determine tax obligations. That is just one of the the many scenarios that could warrant that intrusion. Until you hear otherwise I would put some slack in the tin foil hats.

You can’t tell whether a pistol/handgun is “brace compliant” with the ATF ruling just by reading a 4473. There’s no picture of the gun on it, lol.
However when it is manufactured and the serial number registered with the AFT it will be pistol / rifle / receiver. So for example a PSA PA-15 that was designated a pistol at birth likely would have had a brace when originally sold. AFT, who loves their low-hanging fruit, goes through the manufacturer's records and identifies these obvious AR-15 based pistols, compares with post-amnesty NFA records and then starts knocking on FFL's doors to see who has the unregistered pistols. Then they start knocking on the buyer's doors to see if they've been properly neutered. They love knocking on doors just as much as picking low hanging fruit. They'll get some poor bastard this way and come down on them with the full force of the IRS and AFT.

As far as this particular case, if they're seizing documents maybe there was a warrant involved. If there's a warrant there's an affidavit. If there's an affidavit there's a representation of probable cause. Publish the affidavit and let's see what alleged crime or crimes they are investigating.

Never happen.
Cancer grows and spreads, that's its nature.

It probably wasn't out of the goodness of his ATF heart. More likely it's a turf battle between agencies.
I'm thinking the Feds are looking to a work around to the law.
The ATF isn't supposed to scoop them up like that ,but did anyone ever say the IRS couldn't ?
Loopholes and all that stuff.

I'm thinking the Feds are looking to a work around to the law.
The ATF isn't supposed to scoop them up like that ,but did anyone ever say the IRS couldn't ?
Loopholes and all that stuff.
Is it a violation of any law if they did? If so, who would apply that law, and how? If not, then what?

Is it a violation of any law if they did? If so, who would apply that law, and how? If not, then what?
If it was a violation and they did it anyway, who is going to stop them, demand accountability, and suffer consequences? There is none of any so it will continue unabated until it becomes common practice. We all know what the solution is.

If it was a violation and they did it anyway, who is going to stop them, demand accountability, and suffer consequences? There is none of any so it will continue unabated until it becomes common practice. We all know what the solution is.
I don't think anyone has a solution for this. This sort of thing is happening at the federal, state, and local level everywhere and there is no real way to fix it. It is essentially just old fashioned "corruption".

Well, at least now we know why it was decided to arm IRS agents! :rolleyes:

Frank

Back
Top Bottom