• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Investment-Grade Food?

enbloc

Life Member Emeritus
NES Life Member
NES Member
What's yours? Canned meats? Wheat Berries? Mylar-packed rice and pasta?
What is your biggest store and how do you store it?

For me:
Dehydrated milk, eggs, canned meats and a vegetable garden.
Would like a live protein source like chix, or rabbits.

IDK. Investment grade to me means real money into it. Serious money.
And to me that would be freeze dried or livestock. Either of those are beyond practical means for us without cutting something significant out of our budget or lifestyle.
My current program is simply extra dry or canned goods rotated. A chest freezer with mostly meat and poultry. Some home canned things like tomatoes or salsa.
We garden too but that hasn't really proven cost effective.
Some things that would be needed for self sufficient food production.
A decent chunk of land with a favorable location and access to water.
A tractor.
Barn or large shed.
Henhouse/ chicken coup.
Pens for goats or pigs
Pasture for grazing animals.
Dehydrator
Decent canner
Outside area for processing / canning
Freeze dryer

So that is simply not in the cards for us.
I've known several families that have done the hobby farm thing and all of them scaled back or gave it up for other endeavors.
Momma opened a bakery or Daddy got a different job that wasn't a good fit.

I would encourage everyone to do whatever they can and at least try to produce some of what they eat. Barring that put back something more than a frozen pizza and an extra Sixpack.

IDK. Investment grade to me means real money into it. Serious money.
Absolutely. Serious money for serious times...

My hope with this thread was to get folks thinking of what they have, and what they need and to act accordingly.

When the S finally hits the F, you may not even be able to count on friends or family. Count on yourself...

Well I know we have a preparedness thread which I haven't been active in since joining.
There are many other internet based boards and forums and other resources.
I don't claim to be an expert by any means and I think a lot if not most members here are familiar with the concept if not actively prepping.
It's always good to keep bringing this topic up.

We’ve been putting together a stockpile of Mountain house FD #10 cans as they’re the only ones with real meat. We also have sides, dairy, and eggs from Auguson farms. On top of that, bulk rice, beans, and wheat in Vittles Vault containers with bay leaves to prevent moths. Short term, extra groceries.

A little bit extra every week goes a long way.

My hope with this thread was to get folks thinking of what they have, and what they need and to act accordingly.

When the S finally hits the F, you may not even be able to count on friends or family. Count on yourself...
I harp on this to family and friends. They get it but at the same time just can't spare the time or money somehow.🤔
I'd go lighter myself but with potentially more folks showing up at the "lifeboat" I'd rather more than less.

We’ve been putting together a stockpile of Mountain house FD #10 cans as they’re the only ones with real meat. We also have sides, dairy, and eggs from Auguson farms. On top of that, bulk rice, beans, and wheat in Vittles Vault containers with bay leaves to prevent moths. Short term, extra groceries.

A little bit extra every week goes a long way.
Good strategy.
I know people that have fallen on personal hard times and walked out the other side fine. Able to feed the family for months on what they had put back.

Meh, I can survive on what I normally have in my pantry & freezer for a couple of months. I also have several weeks supply of mountain house, a bucket gravity water filtration system (5 gal/day capacity), generator, enough propane for months in the warm seasons, probably 1-2mos during the worst of heating season. My goal is to last a couple/few mos in a SHTF scenario. Beyond that, if we need to rebuild society from the seed vault, I’m tapping out.

I've been getting wayy too comfortable lately. This is what I needed to hear. Been getting high off my own supply without replacing.

Three levels of foodstuffs.
Level 1: First two weeks, regular food items kept in rotation along with freezer food.
Level 2: Two weeks to three months, beans, rice, canned food, pasta, leftover freezer food.
Level 3: Three months to one year, freeze dried, dehydrated food, any foodstuffs left from Level 2.

Three levels of foodstuffs.
Level 1: First two weeks, regular food items kept in rotation along with freezer food.
Level 2: Two weeks to three months, beans, rice, canned food, pasta, leftover freezer food.
Level 3: Three months to one year, freeze dried, dehydrated food, any foodstuffs left from Level 2.
Freezer. A shrink wrapped, dated and labeled 21210.jpeg

I just checked out the website for the hours, and it's showing a Bishops Warehouse in Belmont. I thought the only one around here was in Worcester??
It says Wed, Fri annd Sat, but to call first to confirm because of covid.
I'm thinking of planning a roadtrip in the very near future. Anyone been there?

Back
Top Bottom