• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

interstate transfer to an FFL

Please forgive me if this question has been answered before.

I'm a new shooter, living in metrowest Boston. I have a Class A LTC (target restriction, of course). I bought my first rifle online at gunbroker.com (Ruger 77/22), but before I did I checked with my local gun store to learn their transfer policy. The guy told me all I had to do was call and give him the fax number of the seller, and he'd fax the seller a copy of his FFL, receive the gun, do the paperwork, I pay him $25, and I'm good to go.

Well, I bought the gun, paid for it, and called the shop the next day. But instead of faxing the FFL, the shop told me that they didn't send their FFL to non-licenced parties (and oops, someone must have forgotten to tell me that part when I inquired about their transfer policy). But they told me the seller can still ship the gun to them without a copy of the FFL.

I called the seller, and he refused to send it, and said it's illegal to ship a gun, even to a gun store, without a signed FFL in his hand.

I called another gun store, and they told me it was illegal for them to receive a gun from out of state from an individual - it could only come from another FFL.

I called a third gun store, who told me that an FFL was not required on the shipper's end, but he needed a copy of the individuals driver's licence, gun licence, and original bill of sale and paperwork when he bought the gun.

The seller doesn't want to take the rifle to another FFL, nor to I want to pay for it, and the seller certainly doesn't want to be sending all that information to a gun dealer in Boston.

So I get the feeling there is a lot of bull being thrown at the newbie (i.e. me). Can anyone give it to me straight? What is the law, and more importantly, how can I get my rifle? Can anyone reccomend an FFL in the Boston area who will receive this rifle for me without all this BS? Thanks so much!

You are being jerked around. Anyone can sell out-of-state IF the firearm is shipped to the FFL in the buyer's state (we won't get sidetracked w/discussions of buying a rifle IN PERSON out-of-state).

And a faxed copy of the FFL suffices. Go to the BATFE website and check the FAQs.

Did you call Northeast Trading in N. Attleborough?

Just recently I was looking for a dealer to have an AR lower shipped to. I went to a "highly regarded" gun shop and was told by one of their salespeople that they don't send copies of their FFL to non-dealers and that one of their business cards would suffice as a ship to address.

Now, I might not know everything about gun laws, but I've never heard of anything like this in 35 years of buying guns..[shocked]

Back
Top Bottom