Interstate gun issue

Hello, nice forum you have here.

I posted a question on rec.guns and emailed a few range instructors. I'm 18 and live in southeast Massachusetts. I want to take some courses to learn how to shoot a handgun and be able to join a club and practice on a range. I know LTCs aren't issued until age 21 here. I could, however, legally shoot at a range in NH. Now my only problems are:

1- If I understand correctly, federal law prohibits me from renting a gun at a range until age 21.
2- If I have my own gun, how can I legally transport it THROUGH MA to get it to that NH range?
3- If no FFL dealer will sell me a gun until I'm 21, how am I supposed to get my own gun in the first place?

Thanks,
Doug

1- If I understand correctly, federal law prohibits me from renting a gun at a range until age 21.
I'm unaware of such a law. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but I'm not aware of it.
2- If I have my own gun, how can I legally transport it THROUGH MA to get it to that NH range?
Provided you have a MA FID, you can transport a low capacity rifle or shotgun. Under MA law, you cannot transport a handgun until you can get an LTC, which you can't get until you are 21.
3- If no FFL dealer will sell me a gun until I'm 21, how am I supposed to get my own gun in the first place?
You can purchase a low capacity rifle or shotgun with an FID.

You can take an NRA Basic Pistol class within MA. The instructor will provide the firearms and ammunition required. You do not need an LTC or FID to take such a course. There are plenty of clubs in southeastern MA. I'm sure several of them offer NRA Basic Pistol courses.

Once you've done that, get yourself a low-capacity rifle and practice with that until you reach 21.

Last edited:
In addition to M1911's comments:

- You can NOT possess any handgun in MA legally at any time until you are both 21 and have a LTC.

- Only way around it is family member/friend who owns a handgun (and LTC) and you go with them to a range anywhere. As long as they maintain control over the gun (or you while you are using it), all is legal. However they can't leave you on the range and even go to the bathroom legally!

Basically, you have to wait til you are 21 to have a handgun, but you can get an FID and lowcap shotguns and rifles right now.

Back
Top Bottom