Interesting SKS Build

First post here...

Just thought I'd share an interesting project with you. I bought a Yugo SKS M59/66 parts gun (pitted bore) a few months ago for $40 and figured I'd try to make it into a shooter. Numrich had Chinese Type 56 barrels for sale at $35, so not much to lose if it didn't work...

Indexing was a little tricky and though I did not check headspace, I did have three bolts to choose from and used the one that captured the round with the least amount of play.

This gun has gone from 18" groups to 3" groups at fifty yards with a little more than $100 invested, not including the four to five hours of work. Definitely not pretty, but pretty functional now!

My Yugo-nese SKS....

mongrel_SKS_001.jpg

Thank you, all.

Besides an enjoyment of firearms, I'm looking forward to sharing the fun with those close to home, New England. My nephew actually told me about the site.

Now back to the gun. I've disqualified the C&R status with the barrel swap, so it will probably evolve into my first Bubba project as well. No doubt that the barrel had some external pitting and will get a duracoat finish, but I'm still up in the air about which stock to use.

I know that Tapco sells a complete compliance kit, but I think the gun deserves some unique "tricking out". Ideas welcome!

Again, honored to be here.

You must have gotten the gas block with the barrel. Did you swap out the gas tube or use the 59/66 tube? I thought they weren't compatible because of the 59/66 having the GL system.
Any cycling issues or noticeable differences in gas pressure?
FWIW you really need to headspace that rifle!

I dont think the barrel swap will disqualify C&R status. you really did not alter the original design. now if you added a ATI stock or colapsable, installed some other current gizmo then C&R would be faulted.

I dont think the barrel swap will disqualify C&R status. you really did not alter the original design. now if you added a ATI stock or colapsable, installed some other current gizmo then C&R would be faulted.

It is considered altered since the rifle is no longer a 59/66 in original configuration with a grenade launcher. Mere fact of removal of the GL is actually considered altering a 59/66 from C&R status.

Was it a 59/66 or could it have been just a m59 without the GL stuff?

I think it's cool and you should put a Choate Dragunov stock on it. I always wanted one of those...
SKS_Draganov_Stock.jpg

Last edited:
Was it a 59/66 or could it have been just a m59 without the GL stuff?

I think it's cool and you should put a Choate Dragunov stock on it. I always wanted one of those...
SKS_Draganov_Stock.jpg

The OP said it was a 59/66.

IMO the Choate Dragunov style stocks are one of the best options for an aftermarket stock, especially if you're going to scope the rifle with a side mount Choate drill & tap set up.
They are heavy stocks though and are definitely better for shooting off a bench or with a bipod.

Yes, the gas block came on the Chicom barrel and I used the piston block as well. The old Yugo block was pitted from corrosive ammo and poor maintenence. I had a spare Chinese Jungle Stock cover and tube which required no fitting at all, nice and tight. Pressures 'seem' quite adequate, very crisp. The old Yugo system was so leaky it sounded like a wet fart!

mongrel_SKS_005.jpg

Though I didn't check headspacing, I probably should but may not have to. I did chamber a spent casing and hand-locked it with just the bolt and compared the "play" with some of my matching SKS's. Of the three bolts that I could choose from, the original Yugo bolt was just too sloppy, so I used a Chinese bolt and carrier that came within the same acceptable tolerances. Spent casings show no warpage or cracking and primer dimpling is not too deep or light. 120 rounds downrange without incident.

mongrel_SKS_007.jpg

Since the old Yugo trigger group had a broken safety (no surprise there!), I also fitted a Chinese group that had positive sear engagement.

mongrel_SKS_003.jpg

The only original parts are really the stock, receiver and mag. Sorry for the blurry pic.

mongrel_SKS_002.jpg

And, if I'm reading the law right, it does void the C&R because it alters the original configuration without the grenade launcher. But If I go 922(r) compliance, then all other considerations will become moot. Or, I could thread the front of the barrel and put the GL back on with the Yugo front sight and bayo lug... not sure yet. I own 17 other SKS's and none have been Bubba'd yet. There's always a first time and I got plenty for purist intentions.

mongrel_SKS_004.jpg

mongrel_SKS_009.jpg

I own 17 other SKS's and none have been Bubba'd yet. There's always a first time and I got plenty for purist intentions.

I like you already.[smile] I'm at over 21, lost count to tell you the truth.

You really should go for broke and invest in a Choate Drag style stock. If the rifle shoots well as is, your groups will tighten up even better with a solid stock fit like the Choate one offers. The stock comes with a shim that fits behind the receiver. You have to file and tap into place until it fits snug. No play at all equals a better shooting SKS.

Heres a shot of mine from an already Bubba'ed code 26 Chinese that now shoots very well at 100 yards.

SKSproject.jpg

Yeah, I had an ATI Fiberforce with a Drag stock that came on a $150 Chicom last fall....

Fiberforce_norinco.jpg

.... and I'm kicking myself in the butt right now for giving it away. Does the Choate shoulder better than the ATI? Because I just couldn't get comfortable with it and returned it to wood. It's one beautiful gun now, but I do wish I had kept the fiberglass...

norinco_project_3_003.jpg

norinco_project_3_005.jpg

norinco_project_3_009.jpg

Heres a shot of mine from an already Bubba'ed code 26 Chinese that now shoots very well at 100 yards.

SKSproject.jpg

I love that thing.

I only have 1 SKS. A near perfect chinese one that I believe was unfired until I got it. I stripped it to clean the cosmo out and there wasn't a mark on anything. It's a fine shooter.

I need to find a bubba'd one so I can put that stock on it.

The Choate stocks have 2 spacers included for either a long length of pull, medium, or short. Plus an added cheek rest if you want to use a scope and need a higher weld, or you can use the standard frame of the stock for iron sights like shown in my pic.

They are heavy though like I said and are better suited for a rest or even better a Harris bipod.

Back
Top Bottom