Interesting firearm

The name escapes me, but many years ago, I picked up a 4-shot .357 Magnum at a gun show on a Saturday afternoon, took it out to the range and swapped it in for something else on Sunday...It was a monster and my fastest firearms turn around I can remember.

cop357 4 barrel pistol. someone had 2 of them listed for
sale a while back. looks like a cool little gun

garyz

Yeah, my first thought on seeing this (I linked to it from Oleg Volk's LiveJournal page) was that it was seriously related to the COP-4 .357 magnum derringer.

Here's the only pic I have left of mine:
COP-1.jpg

I traded it to Fred for a 1911 w/CT grips. We're each convinced we got the better deal - he got a collectible and I got a shooter since the COP had turned into a safe queen. (and I even sold the CT grips for a good price! [smile])

Sorry but,

I would not want a device that could be disabled my an EMP. (electro magnetic pulse)

Anything electronic can be fried.

Kinda like a "smart gun". The authorities would love to be able to render it a paper weight, if they so choose.

Other than that, I think it's cool.

Yeah, my first thought on seeing this (I linked to it from Oleg Volk's LiveJournal page) was that it was seriously related to the COP-4 .357 magnum derringer.

Here's the only pic I have left of mine:
COP-1.jpg

I traded it to Fred for a 1911 w/CT grips. We're each convinced we got the better deal - he got a collectible and I got a shooter since the COP had turned into a safe queen. (and I even sold the CT grips for a good price! [smile])

That's the one! I tried to like it way back when. It was just too little grip in my big gorilla mitts. Every time I pulled the trigger, it felt like the gun was going to launch out of my hand - guess I should have kept it for collectors sake but back in the 80's, I was all about getting something new, so off it went....

It was just too little grip in my big gorilla mitts. Every time I pulled the trigger, it felt like the gun was going to launch out of my hand
For me, it just pounded the web of my hand a lot. But I didn't really shoot it much, and cool as it was, I REALLY wanted a 1911 instead of a safe queen.

Well, in the case of the remington thing, the etronx did nothing
that wasn't accomplished by existing designs, etc.

In the case of the above handgun, the electronics look like they
were used to reduce the amount of space taken up by what would
be a mechanical mechanism.... it also looks like the cartridges are
still struck by a firing pin, just from a solenoid or something; although
the chambering certainly seems to be proprietary.

-Mike

Here is mine Cop 357 -with a set of barrel inserts that turns the gun into a 22 4 shot Derringer!!!

DSC01676.jpg

DSC01675.jpg

DSC01674.jpg

Some day the set might be up for sale if I see someting else of interest[wink].

Thanks for lookinng

Fred

Electric firing pins

Well, in the case of the remington thing, the etronx did nothing
that wasn't accomplished by existing designs, etc.

In the case of the above handgun, the electronics look like they
were used to reduce the amount of space taken up by what would
be a mechanical mechanism.... it also looks like the cartridges are
still struck by a firing pin, just from a solenoid or something; although
the chambering certainly seems to be proprietary.

-Mike

A solenoid firing pin is downright scary. I think that maybe those bullets have a primer that reacts to electricity. We need a translator. Hopefully S&W won't get into the act- or else their stock will go down another 50%. Murphy's Law has always reared it's head in smart guns.

There was a design that was being tossed around a few years back that packed 90 caseless, electrically fired rounds into a multibarreled pistol. Wonder what happened to that.

Imagine...

There was a design that was being tossed around a few years back that packed 90 caseless, electrically fired rounds into a multibarreled pistol. Wonder what happened to that.

Imagine if you wore a polyester sweatshirt, dragged your feet on a carpet on a cool day and picked it up. The recoil of 90 rounds going off due to static electricity would be too much to bear. [smile]

That would be the one designed by Metal Storm (mentioned above).

They also have their hands involved in the development of "smart gun" technology... [angry]

Metal Storm Signs Cooperative Agreement With US National Institute Of Justice For Smart Gun Project
Business Wire, Oct 21, 2002

Business Editors

ARLINGTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 21, 2002

Metal Storm Limited (ASX Code "MST" and NASDAQ ticker symbol MTSX"), a pioneer of electronic ballistic technology, announced today that it has signed a Cooperative Agreement with the National Institute of Justice for a project to develop a plan for the development of the company's 100% electronic handgun system into a "smart gun".

The agreement is valued at US$218,000, with NIJ providing US$185,000, and will provide the basis for the next generation of handguns incorporating `smart gun' technology and will extend from the company's successful law enforcement prototype, the O'Dwyer VLe(R) handgun.
Related Results

The project is due for completion in the first half of 2003 and will provide in-depth analysis into the design, use, manufacturing processes and cost elements of delivering a production safe firearm to the law enforcement community of the United States and potentially other friendly police and military forces internationally. Metal Storm will lead the project serving as `prime' contractor.

The NIJ's goal for its own "smart gun" program is to develop a handgun that operates in a normal manner for authorized law enforcement users, but disables itself when in the possession of an unauthorized user. The NIJ is the research and development arm of the US Department of Justice. Since 1994 the NIJ have been working to develop, test and incorporate `smart gun' technologies that will reduce deaths and injuries resulting from the use of weapons taken from law enforcement officers...

More...

The NIJ's goal for its own "smart gun" program is to develop a handgun that operates in a normal manner for authorized law enforcement users, but disables itself when in the possession of an unauthorized user.
I have no freakin' idea why they're bothering, since the only place that's mandating that all guns have to be "smart" guns (three years after the first one hits the market) is the People's Republik of NJ... and LEOs are exempt from those requirements and can buy anything they want... just like in MA, come to think of it. In spite of the publicity about how they'll all be safer now. [puke]

And they'll probably be so expensive that the gun banners in NJ will achieve their goal of not allowing any new guns to be sold by default, since most people won't be able to afford them. [angry2]

Back
Top Bottom