• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting Article on Cleaning After Using Corrosive Ammo

Good article, thank you.

Interesting to see that it's probably not the ammonia but the water that's doing most of the cleaning when you use Windex.

Yes,

I was very surprised by some of the results. A lot of C&R people have been saying for years that Hoppes #9 has anti-salt stuff in it - but if you look at the chart there, it doesn't neutralize the salt.

and after cleaning my Mosin Nagant for the first time w/ hoppes #9 and oiling it, i found a rusty barrel 3 days later... recleaned,wiped again w/windex and took it shooting right away.then cleaned w/windex first,hoppes#9 and oiled as usual. no problems ever since... I had read that hoppes would address the salt issue so i skipped the windex.wont anymore...

I was talking to an elderly (and highly recommended) gunsmith a few weeks ago and he told me he's been shooting MNs for 40 years with corrosive ammo and he uses water mixed with a few drops of dishwashing liquid to clean the barrels, and that's it. Everything he told me jibes with this article.

M-Pro 7, huh? Figures there was a reason why I ended up with surface rust on that bolt I just quickly wiped with Windex, cleaned with Hoppes, and then stored...as opposed to the rest of the gun which was cleaned with Hoppes and M-Pro 7.

I've got to set up something for keeping the cleaner out of the action like you've got if I'm going to keep shooting mil-surp. [thinking]

M-Pro 7, huh? Figures there was a reason why I ended up with surface rust on that bolt I just quickly wiped with Windex, cleaned with Hoppes, and then stored...as opposed to the rest of the gun which was cleaned with Hoppes and M-Pro 7.

I've got to set up something for keeping the cleaner out of the action like you've got if I'm going to keep shooting mil-surp. [thinking]

Reason I made the funnel set up was because I didn't want water or water based cleaners seeping between the barrel and chamber. The last thing I want is moisture getting into an area I can't dry or oil.

Back
Top Bottom