Inherited Handguns

Howdy all. A friend of mine's father recently passed away and the family discovered that he had three old pistols stored away (I don't have any details, except that there are small caliber pistols and pretty old). He basically inherited these guns and, as I understand the law, has 180 days to do something (either get licensed or get rid of them). I've instructed him on what he needs to do to safely store them, but he wants to get rid of them.

Short of me just taking them from him :) what are his options? Can he just bring them to an FFL and ask to sell them (assuming they're not covered in rust and falling apart)? He was thinking of just bringing them to his local police station, but I wonder if that might not cause him more problems than its worth (unless they're running the State Police no-questions-asked handover program).

He's not interested in getting licensed, so he just wants them gone. Any pointers much appreciated.

It's always legal in MA to turn-over to the police for DESTRUCTION (that is the only thing that the PDs are supposed to do with them!). Unless they are total junk, have no collectible value and are unsafe to fire . . . that IMNSHO is a very foolish thing to do.

The executor of the estate can will them/sell them to anyone properly licensed and the executor does NOT need to get a LTC to do so.

As dumb as this sounds, unless there is some accompanying paperwork to PROVE that the guns were legally possessed in MA on 10.21.98, many/most MA dealers will NOT touch them!

Dealers give you next to nothing for used guns anyway and very old ones have very limited marketability unless they are collectibles and the "right" dealer (one with a collector, as opposed to shooter customer base) is used.

Best options as I see it:

- Get ID on the guns, go to the Blue Book (even an old one) and check relative values/info on them.
- If they have significant value (collector), I can recommend Paul Dias in Hanson area. He's a collector, dealer, auctioneer who specializes in old collectibles. As he told me, if he's going to buy it he'll only offer short money. But ask him about consignment or auction. Feel free to use my name.
- If more modern and of interest to the "shooting community", put them on consignment at Four Seasons. My take on FS is that most customers are shooters, as opposed to collectors of old guns.

More questions? Just ask here.

Thanks much for the information. I think I've got him steered away from the "handing them over for destruction" angle now that he knows he's got some outs.

He's going to get some detailed info about each of the handguns for me so we can do a bit of research and see what they are all about. Once I have some info, I'll post it up on the general board to let you all know what I find (and probably ask lots more questions, as I'm wont to do).

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom