• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Inflated Rifle Prices in MA?

Has anyone else noticed that rifle prices in MA seem to be significantly higher than almost anywhere else?

I recently called 3 MA based stores to see how much a certain MA compliant rifle would cost and they all told me $2200-2300. The same rifle on gunbroker and shops in the NH area, goes for $1500-1700.

Why the huge markup? I can literally drive 20 miles pick one up, and save $700+. I like to try and keep it local when possible...but c'mon.

Most of the online places seem to be about 2050 to 2250 plus shipping and transfer fee.
Best bet if you find it for 1700 to 1800 is grab it no matter local or not.

These shops already stocked them or were willing to order one from a distributor.

It's certainly not a legal issue.

Last edited:
Because idiots in MA pay the high prices.

I haven't bought any type of gun from a MA shop in years.The last one I bought in MA was a Bushmaster M4 type from Tite Group in 2002.

I'm leaning towards thinking you are right. I never gave it much thought before this incident.

Since then I've been looking at other AR/Handgun prices and the are inflated by hundreds of dollars in some cases. Not to mention most of the rifles are crippled. Why do I have to pay MORE for a neutered Sig556?!

Looks like another item I will be purchasing from the great state of NH.

This isn't an "MA thing" I've seen FS2000s overpriced in NH as well.

If you're getting a new one for under 2 grand, that's a good deal overall, I wasn't aware that the price had slipped back down.

When those things came out they were $1800 or so and then after they got popular they crossed the 2K barrier... and those were gunbroker/real world prices.

In most cases you're not going to beat Gunbroker + transfer + shipping with a local dealer anyways. The nice thing about buying locally is you don't have to mess around with setting up the transfer.

-Mike

Actually, I find MA prices to be comparable to out-of-MA prices on many items, particularly handguns and new long guns/rifles.

I've found most prices to be comparable state to state. On things that are not there's always the Gunbroker or a million online websites....

With the sales tax though, I will be looking in NH a bit more probably for long guns.....

Has anyone else noticed that rifle prices in MA seem to be significantly higher than almost anywhere else?

I recently called 3 MA based stores to see how much a certain MA compliant rifle would cost and they all told me $2200-2300. The same rifle on gunbroker and shops in the NH area, goes for $1500-1700.

Why the huge markup? I can literally drive 20 miles pick one up, and save $700+. I like to try and keep it local when possible...but c'mon.

Hey, I have noticed that selling price of BE pistols are inflated as well. S&W 41's are selling for $795 NIB in Indiana, KY, Ohio, etc. One store quoted me $1195 and they were just going to get it from the distributor in order to hand it to me. I am not willing to pay someone a high margin when they do not even keep it in inventory for a day.

I heard that the average cost from the distributor for a 41 is $700.

If this is true, then $795 is a 13% markup, which is probably low. However, 1195 is almost 70%.

Bill

I guess I'll keep my 41 right where it is. Paid 500 for it with an Aim Point and 4 mags.

It's a great bird pistol when they are on the ground. Not bad in the wifes hands at 50 feet either.[smile]

Don't tell her but I didn't buy "it" for her like said.

That one store is selling about $100 under MSRP ($1288), so it's not really an out of line price, just high.

It is out of line. The prices are averaging ~$1,000 after looking at Gunbroker tonight.

Everyone is selling them for less. Even BASS PRO!
Bill

I call it the Massachusetts Fee.

Any semi auto magazine fed rifle in Massachusetts will automatically cost at least $100 to $200 higher (maybe more depending on availbility) here because of the following reasons

a) most places won't ship such rifles to Mass

b) people here are dumb enough to still pay $600 or more for a WASR10 AK47 when anywhere else in the country they're going for $400

I was recently talking to a friend that lives out of state about buying a Saiga 7.62x39 and converting it to standard AK config. He asked what was stopping me and I mentioned the price. When I told him what they're going for here he laughed and said we were being raped.

Back
Top Bottom