Increasing GOAL membership through gun shops.

I dropped off the applications and brochures last Friday. Both the NET and Bass Pro reps seemed to be pretty neutral on the idea. I noticed that NET actually already had applications there.

I was taken back though; I engaged a member of their staff, his response was on the lines of "Yeah, I've heard of them. I try to sign up everyone for the NRA."

"OK, they're more on the national level. GOAL is mostly Massachusetts based."

Another staffer said something along the lines of, "Well, are they really going to help us." [rolleyes]

I dropped of about 200 GOAL applications and all the flyers that Mrs. Magnum sent me at Match Shot Firearms in Gardner on Friday July 3rd. I explained a little bit about some of GOAL's recent legislative efforts (like H2259) but they didn't need any convincing, they were cool about it.

But like I said before, I won't be able to follow up on this and give them more apps when they run out, since I'm moving far far away.

This gun shop idea seems pretty good. I wonder if GOAL notices any increase in enrollment since this method of recruitment was started.

Saw GOAL paperwork at North Shore Firearms when I was there last week!! Keep up the good work guys!

Ill be getting over to Tombstone, Ware Gun Shop and R&R as soon as I can. Two of the three are on my way home so thats easy enough.

i have an idea.

IF possible, can those of us who have dropped off application adopt a store?

maybe GOAL can send letters out to the receptive stores (posted here) and the rest of the FFL's in MA to say:

"hey, a really swell person dropped off some G.O.A.L apps to your location. he / she would like to do this on a regular basis ect..."

i would gladly work on a draft...

thoughts?

PaulD - thanks for the opportunity to let me help

Mrs. Magnum - thanks for the supplies

me? I need to go get more ammo [rofl]

i have an idea.

IF possible, can those of us who have dropped off application adopt a store?

maybe GOAL can send letters out to the receptive stores (posted here) and the rest of the FFL's in MA to say:

"hey, a really swell person dropped off some G.O.A.L apps to your location. he / she would like to do this on a regular basis ect..."

thoughts?

PaulD - thanks for the opportunity to let me help

Mrs. Magnum - thanks for the supplies

me? I need to go get more ammo [rofl]

Bah, no thanks needed but thank you for adding to the effort. I'd give you rep points but you're already well stocked.

Tomorrow is my work from home day so I'm going to call both Blue Northern and FS to see how they're doing on applications.

Also, big +1 on the thanks for Mrs. Magnum.

How about a GOAL membership pyramid Karma?

Example: I'll offer two people complementary, one-year memberships for exchange that they offer two more people complementary, one-year membership (or greater) within 30-days, and then their sponsors do the same, etc., etc.

It would be even more effective if we get a few GOAL volunteers (GSG, chetD, terraformer, MrsWildweasel, etc.) to start their own "trees". Something like Amway, except without the creepy sales pitches. [wink]

Thoughts?

How about a GOAL membership pyramid Karma?

Example: I'll offer two people complementary, one-year memberships for exchange that they offer two more people complementary, one-year membership (or greater) within 30-days, and then their sponsors do the same, etc., etc.

It would be even more effective if we get a few GOAL volunteers (GSG, chetD, terraformer, MrsWildweasel, etc.) to start their own "trees". Something like Amway, except without the creepy sales pitches. [wink]

Thoughts?

EL Martlet did something like that a while back. he called it "play it forward" or something. the guy is nuts. he jumps out of 100% functional aircraft

Bah, no thanks needed but thank you for adding to the effort. I'd give you rep points but you're already well stocked.

Tomorrow is my work from home day so I'm going to call both Blue Northern and FS to see how they're doing on applications.

Also, big +1 on the thanks for Mrs. Magnum.

so what about the adopt a store program?

Sorry, yes, I'm totally onboard. What I meant to say that I've laid claim to Blue Northern and FS. THEY'RE MINE!

i'll take Collectors and if needed, will take A&G Guns in Lowell.

i can draft a letter... or can wait for word from GOAL.

[smile]

thoughts?

I wonder why they don't just send letters like that to every Mass. FFL. You can look them all up on the ATF EZCheck website, right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think we should just keep papering gun stores, and if we find one who won't support GOAL for some reason, we should get volunteers to hand out flyers and apps on the sidewalk near their store on busy days.

Yeah it means some work, but we could boost GOAL's coffers and buy ourselves some serious legislative power.

i'll take Collectors and if needed, will take A&G Guns in Lowell.

i can draft a letter... or can wait for word from GOAL.

[smile]

Opps, sorry I must have missed this thread the past few days... Ill work with the boss man asap and get something rolling. Ill get back to you guys! [grin]

Danvers Fish and Game has your membership start up fee go towards a GOAL and NRA membership as well.

So when you join the club, your joining the NRA and GOAL as well. I think its a good idea...

That's a great idea. Does anyone here run a gun club or know someone who does?

Couldn't we do that with NES green membership too, inflate the cost a little to help fund GOAL?

My gut instinct is to keep GOAL out of NES, not in an unkind way, but to keep things simple for them.

If a green membership automatically donated money to GOAL (like this blog does) then all they'd have to do is collect money and keep doing what they're doing. There's greenies on here who have nothing to do with Mass. and will probably never support GOAL any other way.

Just a general statement, hope that doesn't upset anyone.

Edited to add:

I'm not trying to insult GOAL here, I'm suggesting that we give them money only, not money if they help supervise/sort out stuff with members here.

Last edited:
That's a great idea. Does anyone here run a gun club or know someone who does?

Couldn't we do that with NES green membership too, inflate the cost a little to help fund GOAL?

Some clubs offer this in memberships. Some allow you to choose which organization you want to join. It is a great idea but you need someone at the club who wants to take charge of maintaining the information.

What I have found is if the club only requires the membership to GOAL with new memberships, people will not renew on their own. There are about 5 clubs in MA that require every member to be a GOAL member as long as they are a member of the club.

I have also found that some clubs do not want to do this because people are turned off by being enrolled into organizations they would not have opted to do on their own.

I think it is a great idea and there should be more clubs offering / requiring membership, but at the same time we have some clubs that will not affiliate with GOAL to begin with.

EL Martlet did something like that a while back. he called it "play it forward" or something. the guy is nuts. he jumps out of 100% functional aircraft

Nothing wrong with jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.[laugh] I did it many moons ago before I went into the Army.[grin]

So has anyone been keeping up with this lately at the shops? [grin]

I admit, I've slacked off. I need to bring more apps to both Blue Northern and FS. That said, I get nervous I'll buy something if I go in.

I think there should be a link to the Goal website prominently displayed on the front page of this site. There should be an endorsement and message explaining briefly how vital Goal is to all of our rights.

Allow me to show my support with a hearty "Hell yeah!" I'm PM-ing Derek right now.

I think there should be a link to the Goal website prominently displayed on the front page of this site. There should be an endorsement and message explaining briefly how vital Goal is to all of our rights.

I think there's likely no doubt that Derek and Northeastshooters.com has and continues to be, a tremendous supporter of GOAL. I'm not sure what a prominent link would accomplish, as there's already a link to GOAL on the front page and stickies throughout...

Perhaps vitality should come from the message, rather than the messenger....

Back
Top Bottom