In the doghouse/ Christmas ruined/ AR build

In my case, my wife is the one who is less comfortable with guns. She doesn't give me any guff about them in the house or anything because she knows I'm responsible with them and she's ever so slowly opening up to the idea about giving them another try someday. My FIL always enjoys a show and tell of whatever I've recently bought/built, I always offer to let him shoot whatever it may be. I've shot with him on his property before and we couldn't get along much better. He is a democrat though, but cool enough about everything else that I don't mind and we(wife and I) just avoid certain topics with him(like Elizabeth Warren - lol). My wife and I sometimes joke that if we ever get divorced, we'll have to share "custody" of my FIL.
I hope he's not actually a dick enough to call the police and say something stupid and out of context, even if nothing bad happens from it, it would still put you on somebody's radar which isn't ever good. I'm sorry for your situation, good luck and Merry Christmas.

Buy him a few new pairs of panties for Christmas. F him your house your rules.

BTW he would never be welcome in my house again after threating to sic the law on me for nothing but his fear of scary guns.

Last edited:
I think it was really poor taste of your FIL to come into another man's house, and even open up his mouth like that. My father is about as anti as you can get. He won't even take any of my business cards... and shits on my love of firearms and shooting whenever the subject comes up. That being said, he never starts ANY of that bullshit in my house, as he knows how quickly that will escalate... and I don't bring it up when I'm at his house either. I hope your wife comes around, but she may not, as you have to view the whole situation as a MAN to fully comprehend it in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do my best to keep the peace with family, but your FIL crossed the line first and in your own home.
The bride might be upset now, but ask her if she thinks daddy should be running your house too.

I hear ya I would've told him to get the f$%& out of my house too, who does he think he is coming to your house and questioning you. I also agree that your wife should be backing you up. If you can't have a civil conversation with him then she should go over and explain to him that it's none of his business and if he doesn't like it tough s*$%.
This

Your father in law obviously doesn't care what you think. Threatening to call the police! He deserved what you said. Now you know his true colors. How close is your wife with her father?

Not a good thing to happen before the holidays but better that it happened now. It's full out there. Nothing hidden on your part.

My line to my wife is that I married HER. NOT her father, sister, aunt or anybody else. I put her first, well my kids first and maybe the dog([laugh]) but point is I have told her I put MY family first. Not even my parents or brother and his family before them. I have to live with her day in and day out. We joined together because we wanted to.
What he did visiting YOUR house and then making snide comments got him exactly what he needs, a reality check. Ruined Christmas, how? If he chooses to alienate you over this, then it's his loss.

I agree with WhiskeyJim, offer him the invite to a range to shoot for himself. If he declines, then you know he's truly selfish and single minded. I would think mentioning that to your wife before doing it may show her that your willing tp take the high road to make peace.

No matter how this turns out for you. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Were all here for you.

You did the right thing, just at the wrong time. I'm having Christmas at my house this year and my new safe comes in tomorrow. Maybe I'll just set it up in the living room for a while.

"Christmas is about resolving differences and seeing through the petty problems of family life." - Clark W. Griswold

You handled it like a boss. Sounds like there's a lot of back story around her dad too.

Should have assaulted him with the frying pan he returned to let him know that was more dangerous than your unassembled build on the table [rofl]

On a serious note I am more intrigued to see how your wife feels about the situation that erupted. Definitely keep us posted and good luck man.

I wouldn't want anyone like that in my house under any circumstances. He is the one that "ruined" Christmas by not minding his own ****ing business and telling you how to run your life.

You didn't hit him below the belt, you finally said what you needed to get off your chest. The truth was told and he is probably a man who doesn't like to hear his short comings. He seems to be similar to my father in law, I've told him to pound sand many times and never have regretted it. Merry Christmas, you just gave yourself a great gift, standing up for yourself and your beliefs.

First off, way to go with the showdown, as with other opinions here, some things NEED to be settled, I'm in the "We agree with you" column.

Now, to over analyze this encounter, as I am sometimes prone to do... You are home, having some self time, the FIL feels compelled to return a pan, (what MAN, returns a PAN?) Exception being a 25Gal. deep-fat fryer. Methinks he's checking up on you? Perhaps looking for the Pat's cheerleaders, dancing nekked, in synch, around your house, while wife is out?(You animal!)
Orrrr, is he truly the type, who returns pans?

Past experience with family times of the year, some look forward, NOT to seeing those distant, loving branches of the family on a yearly basis, but seek to renew the old grudges.

Eagerly awaiting hearing how the convo with wife went. My in-laws (and directs for that matter) have passed, but I still have family that would shit bricks if they saw certain items on the coffee table.

While you were well within your "rights" to tell him to F off, it's still sad. Your wife loves her dad. You love your wife. You don't want to put her in the middle -- you don't want to force her to choose between two people she loves. It's not a matter of who she'll choose. It'll hurt her to make the choice.

I agree with the previous poster who said your FIL must have it in for you... Any history there, besides the guns?

The best move for you would have been "OK, Fred... I know your opinion on this topic and you know mine. Let's move on. You got that pan?"

if he continued to be belligerent then you'd have to go with "Sorry Fred, I'm going to have to ask you to leave. This is my house. We'll see you at Christmas... Bye bye"

i know now it's too late now. But that's something to consider for the future.

You need to fix this I'm the interest of family harmony. It doesn't matter who's right. I bet you and your FIL will both wind up apologizing. Don't let pride screw things up between you and the mrs.

Ding ding ding !
First of all - no one should come into your house and tell you how to live, what you keep in it, etc. Dude was a dick for doing so and that's the bottom line. Far as I'm concerned you didn't do anything wrong and if Christmas is ruined - it's not you who ruined it.

Back
Top Bottom