• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

In the doghouse/ Christmas ruined/ AR build

A little back story...My wife is indifferent about guns, although lately she has shown some interest in giving it a try, and with ZERO pressure from myself. Her father on the other hand in very against guns. He sort of understands keeping one for home protection but only in the worst of neighborhoods. He doesn't understand carrying. Doesn't understand why you need more than one gun, etc. After Sandy Hook we got into a discussion where he learned that I have guns, and our relationship hasn't been the same. Up until then we got along based on a mutual interest for music and other things.

So today, I'm working on a new build with everything spread out on the coffee table. My wife texted me that he was coming by to drop off a pan, only I didn't have my phone by me. So, he knocks at the door and I let him in. He sees the table of parts....

him- "ummmm, what's going on here?"
me- "I'm building a rifle"
him- "looks more like a machine gun"
me- "no"
him- "is this legal?"
me- "ahhhh, yes"

this line of q&a goes on or a while. Then this happens.

him- "so if I call the cops right now, they're not going to have a problem with this?"
me- "first, I won't let them through the ****ing door. Second, if you call the cops on me for doing nothing wrong in my own home, this is the last time you step foot in this house".

*yelling and screaming on his part, more q&a, nothing calm or rational*

him- "well I don't feel comfortable with this being in the house that my daughter lives in"

*here's where I hit below the belt...*

me- "well maybe if you were in her life while growing up, then I'd give a **** what you think.

He storms out. About 20 minutes ago I get a call from my wife. Apparently I ruined Christmas and "intimidated" her dad. Ho ho ho! So how was your morning?

A little back story...My wife is indifferent about guns, although lately she has shown some interest in giving it a try, and with ZERO pressure from myself. Her father on the other hand in very against guns. He sort of understands keeping one for home protection but only in the worst of neighborhoods. He doesn't understand carrying. Doesn't understand why you need more than one gun, etc. After Sandy Hook we got into a discussion where he learned that I have guns, and our relationship hasn't been the same. Up until then we got along based on a mutual interest for music and other things.

So today, I'm working on a new build with everything spread out on the coffee table. My wife texted me that he was coming by to drop off a pan, only I didn't have my phone by me. So, he knocks at the door and I let him in. He sees the table of parts....

me- "no"
him- "is this legal?"
me- "ahhhh, yes"

him- "so if I call the cops right now, they're not going to have a problem with this?"
me- "first, I won't let them through the ****ing door. Second, if you call the cops on me for doing nothing wrong in my own home, this is the last time you step foot in this house".

him- "well I don't feel comfortable with this being in the house that my daughter lives in"

me- "well maybe if you were in her life while growing up, then I'd give a **** what you think.

He storms out. About 20 minutes ago I get a call from my wife. Apparently I ruined Christmas and "intimidated" her dad. Ho ho ho! So how was your morning?

Well played sir, well played!!!

you'll shoot your eye out

but seriously, that sucks. I feel your pain. Every time I see my brother's father inlaw (not even mine!) he lectures me on family stuff, not related to guns, but the same sort of repetitive lecturing that just sours family gatherings to the point I just don't go sometimes.

if only people could learn to just live and let live, we'd all be much happier

Holly crap...now make sure this crap does not come between you and your spouse. Remember this. Silent wedge. Sounds like your FIL may be one in the making. Keep calm and rational with the crap that may come from your wife because of this. Now. The most important question is.... What are you building? Anything special. Really Killy, ugly and scary?

Little advise dude, Given a choice between you and her father, a wife should always, I repeat ALWAYS be on the side of her husband.There shouldn't even be a problem here. She should have said "dad it's none of your business what MY HUSBAND

- - - Updated - - -

Little advise dude, Given a choice between you and her father, a wife should always, I repeat ALWAYS be on the side of her husband.There shouldn't even be a problem here. She should have said "dad it's none of your business what MY HUSBAND does in his own house...period

IDK, I don't agree with what you did.
But, then again, I come from a very rigid respect/family background, you never disrespect dad's, (or moms, or aunts), and your wife's dad is you dad.
He was not right to behave and say what he did, and went FR with "well I don't feel comfortable bla bla", but your remark about him being in your wife's life is also counter FR.
At the end you'll have to make up, otherwise what are your options ?

Wow that blows. My father is opposed to owning a gun but does not mind that i own them and i rent the floor below in his house. He says why do you have so many guns. I say no i dont own enough. I only own 2 lol. He then says well at least i have more protection than the president and proceeds to call me rambo. He then laughs and asks when im buying another

You should hand him the phone and tell him to give it a try, probably is better than directly hit him with harsh words

Its no secret to my inlaws I have guns. My wife still feel the need to be hush hush and hide all evidence. I carry daily. I have said to my wife many times you marry to live your new life together. I dont give a rats ass what my inlaws think about my guns,beliefs or opions. I dont ask them of thiers. I have told my wife if there is a issue between her parents and me that affects our relationship we are on a path of finally failing at some point.
I have told many of people their beliefs or opions dont matter much in my home unless I ask. Dont like my life style or thoughts and beliefs you can leave at any time.
Sucks it turned heated though. The fact that your FIL even brought up the cops is disturbing and I wouldnt be surprised if you get a nock on the door. Im alone in the 2A gun owning persons in my circle of family and life in general. Most will not engage in debate with me though on the subject.

I'm only disappointed that it took 12 replies before the first call for specs. And not one yet for pics of said build, so... pics? [wink]

me- "no"
him- "is this legal?"
me- "ahhhh, yes"

+1 F*** him!

"F" him. See nothing wrong with this. Your house, your rules. If he doesn't like it he can leave. As to ruining Christmas, sure, but this will work out better for you and your wife in the long run.

FIFY...
me- "You caught me. Yes, it is a machine gun"
him- "is this legal?"
me- "Nope... no ****ing way"

Good one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom