• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

In need of information about Biodegradable firearm cleaners; ATTN Armorers!

mtsfitness

NES Member
I'm looking for insight from you guys about Biodegradable weapon cleaners. I am a relatively new Sig Armorer for a public safety department. For some reason my bosses are requiring us to use a biodegradable weapon cleaner... And, what they have choose (I cannot remember the name off the top of my head) sucks and we have been experiencing issues with rust and other problems with our Sig P227's. Although we have identified the environmental problems in the are where the weapons are stored, we need to find other options and they apparently have to be labeled "Biodegradable"...

I believe Rem Oil is labeled Biodegradable as well as one of the HOPPS options.... Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much

Frog Lube is organic and environmental friendly. However, I bought some and was going to use it until I read all the directions. Gun needed to be completely cleaned of ALL oil and once you start with Frog Lube, you have to stay with the product. I read you can not use any oil product after using the Frog Lube. It sounded like a great product, but with thinking about cleaning all my guns, I just stayed with Hoppes and oil and grease.

Gunzilla, froglube, fireclean(crisco), XF-7, all seem to have the biodegradable label. Just don't get anything in the firing pin channels and you're fine. I did NOT like the amount of wear I saw on my 226 using froglube, and it was a pain to use when it was cold(my 220 was slow to return to battery for the first few rounds). I now use the gunzilla to clean, and the XF7 spray on the rails, barrel exterior. Rem oil is great for the internals.

The regular Simple Green can harm some finishes and aluminum. Look into the aircraft simple green which is safe for aluminum

The regular Simple Green can harm some finishes and aluminum. Look into the aircraft simple green which is safe for aluminum

Yep. I've experienced it leaving stains in aluminum, especially if the surface dries without being flushed clean.

Myself and one of my armorers uses frog lube with great success. Just use the solvent and degrease everything first. I love the stuff.

best of luck

ProdAdminImage.ashx

I'm looking for insight from you guys about Biodegradable weapon cleaners. I am a relatively new Sig Armorer for a public safety department. For some reason my bosses are requiring us to use a biodegradable weapon cleaner... And, what they have choose ... sucks and we have been experiencing issues with rust and other problems with our Sig P227's. ... Can anyone help point me in the right direction? ...

Quick, someone tell Imus.

His wife's company can spawn a new product line...
041812_Imus_GTC.jpg

...and for the first time Ol' Turkey Neck doesn't have to just pretend he cares about it.

Ballistol, Hoppes Elite or Simple Green for cleaning.

I also use Hoppes Elite Oil exclusively for lube now because I've found it works the best in low temp conditions and doesn't gum up or freeze in an AR. I shoot all winter in NH and its the only one of six that has never given me an issue. They claim -40F. I've used it in -10F with no issue.

Back
Top Bottom