IN - Man Shoots His Own Dog As It Attacks His Child

An Eastside man shot his family's dog to stop it from attacking his 2-year-old daughter on the Eastside last night.

Christopher Schafer, 26, 1400 block of North Tuxedo St., fired one shot into the dog's shoulder after it had clenched Krista Schaefer by the neck, knocked her to the ground and bit her on the shoulder, underarm and nose, according to an Indianapolis Metropolitan police report.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20100506/NEWS06/100506010/1002/rss

Schafer told police he and Krista's older sister succeeded momentarily in getting the dog away from Krista but when it started after her again he shot it with a .40 caliber semi-automatic handgun.

The 7-year-old shepherd-chow mix ran to its doghouse in the backyard after being shot.

Indianapolis Animal Care and Control officers found it hiding behind the doghouse and took it to a veterinarian to be checked out.

Nothing good comes from the .40... on the other hand, it probably saved the dog's life... [rofl]

-Mike

As a retired Letter Carrier please allow me to note that over my postal career CHOWs were the most aggressive dogs I ever experienced. Those black tongued devils are the most apt to nip, lunge and even attack of all breeds I ever encountered.

Pit Bulls get a bad reputation due to their ability to inflict harm, but such dogs are nearly always owned and trained by criminals or other social rejects. Pits are extremely loveable by nature but CAN inflict damage if their owner trains it to do so or it's master is attacked. Their jaw muscles are strong but no more so than a trained Police German Shepherd. Personally I own a Chihuahua because I am more than able to protect myself and my family, and I like Chihuahuas

chow mix's ARE crazy.... [rofl]

chow mix's ARE crazy.... [rofl]

My parents have a chow/retriever/lab mix and it couldn't be a nicer dog. It had a bit of a nipping problem, but grabbing it's lower jaw and sticking my thumb under it's tongue (drives 'em crazy) while giving a firm "No" for about a month seemed to fix the problem.

"Pits are extremely loveable by nature but CAN inflict damage if their owner trains it to do so or it's master is attacked."

Or if they perceive that their owner is being attacked. Like when a child gives that dog's owner a hug. I have several friends who own Pit Bulls and for the most part my experiences have been positive. That doesn't mean that I would trust my toddler around a dog that has been selectively bred to fight other dogs to the death. No one can predict how that bred-in aggression will manifest itself.

If my dog attacked one of my kids I would not hesitate to shoot it dead. My dog is a push over but most of the dog attack stories the owner is always the first to say how docile their dog is and that it never bites.

obviously he was not using hollow points.

Not sure what you mean by this. Some dogs are pretty tough, and he could have hit the dog in an area that didn't cause fatal wounding. A .40 JHP isn't some magic bullet that makes dogs die just from being grazed by it... [laugh]

-Mike

My parents have a chow/retriever/lab mix and it couldn't be a nicer dog. It had a bit of a nipping problem, but grabbing it's lower jaw and sticking my thumb under it's tongue (drives 'em crazy) while giving a firm "No" for about a month seemed to fix the problem.

And aparently I need to not be a dumbass and make sure I'm logged into the right account to...

I ran into a woman who owned a chow-mix. It was a really well behaved dog, but mentioned that if she had known that it was a chow-mix, she would not have gotten it. I don't know anything about them, but she said they were known to be unpredictable.

Chows are on the " List " How do homeowners get house insurance with owning a listed dog . Are they not telling the insurance Co. ?

We have Jack Russels. Lets just say that the dog shows allow scars on them for a reason. One of the few breeds that are not good around young kids (6 and under).

The father did exactly the right thing by shooting the dog, handgun caliber notwithstanding.

We have Jack Russels. Lets just say that the dog shows allow scars on them for a reason. One of the few breeds that are not good around young kids (6 and under).

Most terriers (Pit bull, Jack Russel, Cairn, etc.) were at one time all bred to hunt or kill. People should do their research & prepare to do a lot of training with this type of dog. They're wonderful pets, athletic, & very intelligent, but they are very tough little sh*ts that need a strong leader.

They're wonderful pets, athletic, & very intelligent, but they are very tough little sh*ts that need a strong leader.

You got that right. I swear our little Jack would take on a Bear. It would probably lose but that wouldn't deter it the slightest.

If my dog attacked one of my kids I would not hesitate to shoot it dead. My dog is a push over but most of the dog attack stories the owner is always the first to say how docile their dog is and that it never bites.

+1 in a NY minute

Of course none of us would hesitate to shoot our own dog if it attacked our children, but that doesn't diminish the effect it would still have. Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm crazy about my big dumb black lab. 110lbs of strong as a bull, dumb as an ox, unmitigated love and affection (no, he's not obese, just abnormally large). Can't imagine how torn up I'd be if it was me that had to shoot my own dog. He's my middle child. He IS still a dog, and I wouldn't hesitate if he turned on one of my other boys, but it would throw me for one hell of a loop afterwards.

A .40 JHP isn't some magic bullet that makes dogs die just from being grazed by it...

Yup yup. Handguns are underpowered, whether using HP or FMJ.

The owner should have called the police. These guys know how to kill a dog.

Alfred Hitchcock knew that the most terrifying thing an audience could experience is the unseen, that which is left to their imagination, because the mind can create terror much worse than the eyes can ever be confronted with.

The things you can't see are leading you to draw some very Quixotic conclusions.

Judge Dre presiding...comin' straight from the underground...

[rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom