• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Impulse Buyer Needs Advice

Go to MFS, and rent a bunch of guns, shoot them, and then buy.

Best way to find what you like.

This needs to be repeated. You obviously have some $ saved up and good for you. Why 3-4 pistols?

The world is "questionable" at best right now. With the $ you are talking about spending in the next few months there are 5 things eveyr gun owner needs to be prepared:

1 self defense handgun
2 shotgun with short barrel for home defense and a 26 inch or longer barrel for hunting
3 22LR rifle
4 big bore.....like 7.62 X ** rifle
5 semi auto rifle chambered in 5.56.........yes I'm talking about an ar platform

why 3-4 handguns right off the bat? In all honesty you are making no sense to me with that goal.

Hey, we're well on our way to having this complete list, almost accidentally.

1 - my wife just got her own carry gun, so now we have his & hers
2 - the first gun I bought for my wife was a home defense shotgun, and I already had a long barrel for hunting
3 - picked up a 10/22 a couple years ago to start getting the kids involved
4 - got a Mosin T53 this Summer, just need to get it cleaned and start testing it
5 - just got my first stripped receiver, and need to start the build

Wait, that doesn't mean that I need to stop now, does it? [rolleyes]

Hey, we're well on our way to having this complete list, almost accidentally.

1 - my wife just got her own carry gun, so now we have his & hers
2 - the first gun I bought for my wife was a home defense shotgun, and I already had a long barrel for hunting
3 - picked up a 10/22 a couple years ago to start getting the kids involved
4 - got a Mosin T53 this Summer, just need to get it cleaned and start testing it
5 - just got my first stripped receiver, and need to start the build

Wait, that doesn't mean that I need to stop now, does it? [rolleyes]
Oh hell no don't stop.......now you get to upgrade that t50......to an M1A!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I could only keep 4 they would be
Beretta 92FS All around great gun
1911R1 Good defense gun, to big for a lot of people to carry
Sig p238 Nice carry gun
Ruger MKIII Fun to shoot
The Beretta is real easy to rack and is very dependable. My wifehad no issues racking or shooting it. It is fairly heavy so recoil is not a big issue

I have all of these and few more. If you would like to meet me at WPRC sometime I will let you try them.

Oh hell no don't stop.......

That's what I wanted to hear! I still have a list of wants. I want a garand, I want a wheel gun. And I told one of my daughters that if we have fun building the AR I might have to do a project with each of them to give them as wedding presents (way down the road).

Hey Chaser,

Range, HD and conceal carry...

I have large hands but my wife is five foot nothing with small hands..she has no issues shooting a Sig P226 though.

Personally I like 1911s for the range, sig 229 for edc. I also like shooting wheel guns a 357 or 44 wouldn't be bad either. My wife also loves shooting her 380 but is saving up for a 38 or 357 revolver.

As as others have said go to a range or make friends with shooters near you and try out as many as you can before you buy.

I agree...why 4 pistols? If I had nothing right now I would go out and buy a remington 870, an AR15, ruger 10/22 and a glock 19. Covers all the basics but don't forget ammo, extra mags and some decent optics.

Buy one, and learn how to shoot it really well. Learn what you like and what you don't and then buy more.

1 good pistol setup = pistol, 8-10 magazines, night sigjts / fiber optic sights, OWB and IWB holsters, 1000 rounds of ammo reserve, 3000 rounds practice ammo to start.

Buy fewer guns, use the money to shoot more

Buy one, and learn how to shoot it really well. Learn what you like and what you don't and then buy more.

1 good pistol setup = pistol, 8-10 magazines, night sigjts / fiber optic sights, OWB and IWB holsters, 1000 rounds of ammo reserve, 3000 rounds practice ammo to start.

Buy fewer guns, use the money to shoot more

Thanks DRB...I might do this. But I can't get one without the wife doing the same thing. [grin]

Shoot other peoples guns and find out what you like so you won't waste money in the process. There, I just saved you $10,000 or more.

-Mike

Thanks DRB...I might do this. But I can't get one without the wife doing the same thing. [grin]

Definitely what works for you may not work for her. All the same principals apply. I am not a good shooter, but you wouldn't believe the number of people that have full gun safes at home that can barely hit the berm with any of them

I'll pile on...

-Self defense/ccw type pistol in a common caliber.
-Semi-auto rifle in a common caliber.
-Shotgun with combo home defense/hunting barrel.
-10/22.

With that said, dont be an impulse buyer. Try before you buy. Think about the costs and easy availability of parts, accessories, magazines, ammo, the ability of your wife and friends/family to be able to use them, etc.

Bonus...
-Set aside some cash for good training.
-Buy more ammo than you intend to shoot.
-Practice. Shooting, drawing, mag changes, malfunctions, etc.
-Look into reloading.

Back
Top Bottom