IMPORTANT NOTICE for all gunowners House Bill H2259

Full slate tomorrow, in addition to H. 2259 we have all of this on the docket. It's going to be busy! We're hoping you can attend, some very important issues to be discussed!

The following is a list of the legislation which will be considered:
S913
An Act relative to an unloaded rifle or shotgun.

S921
An Act relative to the safety of law enforcement officers.

S926
An Act relative to certain ammunition.

S927
An Act relative to the lawful sale of ammunition.

S933
An Act Regarding the Prevention of Illegal Trafficking and Gun Violence Among Youth in the Commonwealth.

S935
An Act to require tagging of explosive materials.

S938
An Act relative to preventing illegal trafficking of firearms.

S964
An Act Prohibiting the Confiscation of Lawfully Owned Firearms During a State of Emergency

S977
An Act to further enhance public safety in the Commonwealth.

S978
An Act creating a global positioning system locators in firearms study commission.

S986
An Act establishing the Massachusetts armor piercing law.

S995
An Act relative to issuing a license to carry firearms to law enforcement officers on college campuses.

H34
An Act an act relative to the regulation of gun shows

H2202
An Act to close automatic weapon loopholes.

H2231
An Act to allow hunting on Sunday within the Commonwealth.

H2232
An Act relative to the use of shotguns.

H2247
An Act to improve the ballistic database through microstamping ammunition.

H2249
An Act to close a loophole in the assault weapons ban and further reduce gun violence in the Commonwealth.

H2259
An Act relative to civil rights and public safety.

H2263
An Act relative to surrender and storage.

H2267
An Act relative to shooting near highway or dwelling.

H2287
An Act relative to firearms in the commonwealth.

H2294
An Act relative to the possession of weapons.

Text for all of the above can be looked up here. http://www.mass.gov/legis/ltsform.htm

"Is all this still going to start at 11am? Should we be there much sooner JIC? "
no need to get there much before 10:45 or so. I looked up all of the bills for tomorrow and they are all showing an 11:00am start time. They will go in no particular order.

I cannot attend either, but have emailed both my rep & sen in regards to this. I will follow up with calls tomorrow. Maybem, given the current political climate, we can start to institute change here in our own state! or is that too much to hope for?

S978 is just unfathomable stupidity. They really need to spend tax dollars to figure out that criminals won't put fresh batteries in the gun's gps?

And H2287 is disgusting.

Last edited:
I AM AGAINST S978 & YOU SHOULD BE TOO

I am against S978 and you should be too.

S978 would establish a committee to study the use of GPS locators on firearms and make enactable recommendations.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous and scary things I have heard in a long while.

I am unable to attend the hearing on Wed Jan 27th @ 10:30 but if someone will be attending, please do print & read the following to the assembly:

I am against S978 and you should all be too for several reasons I am about to explain.

First, I am concerned that the Act commissions a group to study a proposed solution, rather than a question rooted in some clear statement of intended benefit or outcome. On the face of it, there is no need to convene a study because GPS locator enabled firearms would neither be useful nor function properly because:

1. GPS generally does not work in doors,
  2. GPS on a firearm in the trunk of our car will not work, and
  3. Any such tracking system could be defeated by wrapping the firearm in aluminum foil
It is a waste of time to form a committee to study a poor solution to an unstated problem or purpose.

Second, I am gravely concerned that this Act establishes a legal precedent not otherwise seen anywhere in the US today. If this study did manage to find some cost-effective alternate solution to detecting the location of firearms, we will have now enabled the government to track the private personal property of law-abiding citizens in violation of our Fourth Amendment rights. This Act would pave the way for further legislation to further erode civil liberties and additional invasions of privacy -- all in the name of crime prevention and law enforcement. The efforts of our legislators and concerned citizens should be directed at the core problems of dealing with crime, without sacrificing the freedoms of overwhelmingly larger body of law-abiding citizens .

Third, let us assume for the moment that it were possible to devise a bulletproof (pardon the pun) means of securing our Fourth Amendment rights and implement such a system. This system would now electronically aggregate the location telemetry of such firearms (potentially in real-time) to some networked repository (e.g. on-line database). We all heard recently about Google being hacked and losing untold billions of dollars worth in intellectual property. If Google -- the world's biggest and best experts on information storage and retrieval -- cannot safeguard their crown jewels, then what assurances would a firearm-owning citizen that the government of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts could do better? The reality is of course that you can't. Aggregating firearms location information will make it easier for the identities of law-abiding firearms citizens to be discovered and thus putting them at greater risk of harm by criminal elements. It's not to hard to imagine being able to download an GunFinder application for my iPhone and find the guns in my neighborhood as easily as I can find a Starbucks. The accidental disclosure of this information makes law-abiding citizens of the Commonwealth less safe.

Lastly, let us assume that somehow the government was smarter than our friends at Google. Allowing this Act to proceed will potentially complicate the problem of law enforcement depending on how this information is used and in what circumstances. Will it be used to find a specific firearm? Will it be used to find any firearms in the area? Will it be queried by State troopers during traffic stops? Will towns enact a firearms count cap? What if the information is incorrect & I'm stopped by law enforcement who think I have a gun when I don't? Could a routine broken tail light stop now spin out of control because the database says there's a gun in the vehicle when there isn't? Will law-enforcement go door-to-door looking for guns that have gone off the grid? If we allow this Act to pass, we not only raise all the issues above but the very real dependence on such technology could have accidentally fatal consequence to innocent people.

All in all, I hope everyone here can understand why we must say "NO" to S978. It's not a technically, legally, morally, or ethically conscionable to allow this Act to proceed. Let's not waste time on ill conceived solutions to problems that can be better solved without posing risk to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Vote "NO" to S978

Just heard about several anti gun bills scheduled for tomorrow at 10 am. It was on nra news.
Also got an alert from carl at 4 seasons. Hope they are not trying to pull a fast one.

what about the ridiculous firing pin microstamping? Or the nullification of pre-ban rifles in the MA AWB? I'm not even sure if there's anything good in any of those acts. Jesus Christ.

edit: there is some good stuff: sale of ammunition from out of state better clarified as allowed, hunting on sundays, prohibition of confiscation of firarms. So I take back some of my resentment. But still, there are some giant turds in there. F that noise.

Last edited:
what about the ridiculous firing pin microstamping? Or the nullification of pre-ban rifles in the MA AWB? I'm not even sure if there's anything good in any of those acts. Jesus Christ.

edit: there is some good stuff: sale of ammunition from out of state better clarified as allowed, hunting on sundays, prohibition of confiscation of firarms. So I take back some of my resentment. But still, there are some giant turds in there. F that noise.

There is indeed some horrible shit in here.

Why is this all being scheduled on the same day and where did it all come from? Some we knew about but some of these are either new or old turds that they're recycling.

There is indeed some horrible shit in here.

Why is this all being scheduled on the same day and where did it all come from? Some we knew about but some of these are either new or old turds that they're recycling.
Yup, they are making sausage... Come on down and keep them in line...

I have not even read them all and my head is pounding and my stomach is churning in disgust!!! I contacted my reps sent them an email. Now we wait and see....

Just heard about several anti gun bills scheduled for tomorrow at 10 am. It was on nra news.
Also got an alert from carl at 4 seasons. Hope they are not trying to pull a fast one.
NRA news has been a little fast and loose with their details here... As Mike says, the .govers are still saying 11, but then last time they had a sign on the door saying "gone fishing" [laugh] (actually, it said something to the effect that they would return after vacation), but the hearing went forward...

I don't think I can make it (The place I work for just laid off someone a few weeks ago and I don't want to be next).
However, if I can sneak out tomorrow and get into Boston I will be there.

I read through the bills being discussed tomorrow and thought you guys would like to know just how stupid they are:
They run the gamut from 1 gun a month and jail time for possession of armor piercing ammo to 2 million dollar firearms databases.

Some notables:
1 gun a month
Changing the wording to remove our pre-ban rifles and making them only available to LEO
Insurance for guns
No more than 15 guns per year

S913
No person shall carry on his person on any public way an unloaded rifle or shotgun, unless such rifle is enclosed in a case.

$100 to $1000 fine unless the the person has in their possession a large cap feeding device that is fully or partially loaded. In this case the fine is $1000 to $10,000 and imprisonment of not less than 1 year and not more than 10 years.

S921
Gives LEO the ability to go into gun-free areas when on duty

S927
Forces online retailers to keep records of FID/LCT's for a period of 3 years

S933
Requires dealers to install and maintain "security systems" according to guidelines set forth during a "study" proposed by the bill
Limits a dealer to sell more than 15 firearms to one person per year
If a person purchases/receives more than 15 firearms per year they are subject to a possible 5 year prison sentence and revocation of their firearms license for not more than 3 years
Anyone who fails to report a loss/stolen firearm will spend not more than 2.5 years in prison

S935
An act requiring that "Explosives" which include gunpowder be tagged for identification

S938
One gun per month. Buyers penalized by $1000 and 6 months in jail. Sellers get a max penalty of $5000 and not more than 2.5 years in prison

S964
No one can take away your lawfully owned guns. Civil penalties $500 - $5000 apply. :) YES

S977
2 million dollar database to record the sale, rent, lease of firearms in MA.
Record pretty much everything about the sale and make it available to police

S986
Armor piercing handgun ammunition is illegal and mere possession is punishable by a minimum of 10 years in prison with NO maximum sentence.

H2202
Allows police working on college campuses to carry

H2231
Allows hunting on sunday

H2247
Microstamping

H2249
Changes our pre-ban law from "lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994" to "unless such sale, lease, rent, transfer or delivery is made to a law enforcement agency" effictively eliminaing our ability to own pre-ban stuff

H2259
GOAL's Bill.

H2267
No person can discharge a firearm or arrow 150 feet near a roadway and 1000 feet away from a dwelling without the occupant's permission

H2287
Requires every licensee to provide proof of insurance ($250,000) to the issuing officer upon purchase of a new gun, renewal of license etc.
I stopped reading the rest of this because I thought I was going to throw up.

...Call your legislators (find them here) starting the Friday before and especially hit the phones hard on Monday the 25th and Tuesday the 26th. Also contact the committee members (listed below) and let them know that you are in support. All phone numbers listed below are 617 area code.
George N. Peterson, Jr. 9th Worcester 722-2100
Richard T. Moore 722-1420
Bradley H. Jones, Jr. 20th Middlesex 722-2100
Elizabeth Poirier 14th Bristol 722-2100
Paul K. Frost 7th Worcester 722-2489
Anne M. Gobi 5th Worcester 722-2080
Richard J. Ross 9th Norfolk 722-2305
Donald F. Humason, Jr. 4th Hampden 722-2803
Jeffrey Davis Perry 5th Barnstable 722-2396
Angelo J. Puppolo, Jr. 12th Hampden 722-2011
Stephen Kulik 1st Franklin 722-2380
Stephen R. Canessa 12th Bristol 722-2460
Peter v. Kocot 1st Hampshire 722-2040
Christine E. Canavan 10th Plymouth 722-2575
Robert L. Rice, Jr. 2nd Worcester 722-2014
David B. Sullivan 722-2230

What is the name of this committee hosting the hearing(s)? This is not the JOINT COMMITTEE ON PUBLIC SAFETY AND HOMELAND SECURITY, at least according to the linked web page. In fact, Scott Brown is on that committee, and wouldn't it be great if we could have him sit in on this, lending some weight to our cause.

Members appointed to the committee:
Senators
Timilty of Bristol and Norfolk - Chair
Brewer of Worcester, Hampden, Hampshire and Franklin - Vice-Chair
Buoniconti of Hampden
Candaras of First Hampden and Hampshire
Joyce of Norfolk, Bristol and Middlesex
Brown of Norfolk, Bristol and Middlesex

Representatives
Costello of Newburyport - Chair
Donelan of Orange- Vice-Chair
Toomey of Cambridge
Ayers of Quincy
Nangle of Lowell
Alicea of Charlton
Campbell of Methuen
Aguiar of Fall River
Ashe of Longmeadow
Perry of Sandwich
Hill of Ipswich

2259 is a drop of spring water in a very large pail of poo.... S935 to S986 and H 2247, 2249, 2267 and 2287 should be scaring the intestinal contents out of everyone. It's funny (not in a ha-ha way) that much of these mentioned were not even a blip on the radar here....If even one of these goes through, it may just be time for more than attending a hearing....

I just want to say good luck and thanks to all of you guys who can attend today. I wish I could be there.

Please fight this crap to the best of your ability.

This is the first I have heard about all the other anti-gun bills being heard. I will not be able to stay there for very long to hear them all.

Am I incorrect to assume that GOAL will have representatives present to hear and respond to all of the bills?

This is the first I have heard about all the other anti-gun bills being heard. I will not be able to stay there for very long to hear them all.

Am I incorrect to assume that GOAL will have representatives present to hear and respond to all of the bills?

I thought this was supposed to be a hearing for residents and those voters concerned with the bills.

I thought this was supposed to be a hearing for residents and those voters concerned with the bills.

I am also under this assumption. Having never taken place in a public hearing like this, I don't know if there is a typical procedure followed.

Unfortunatly, I am just finding out about all of the other bills being heard that will negativly effect us as gun owners. Also unfortunate is that I cannot afford to take a full day off of work to hear them all and voice my opinion. This is what led me to the hope/belief that GOAL was going to have a representative there for the entire day so that they may hear and respond to all of the bills that I cannot.

Back
Top Bottom