I'm so so so stupid...

So its a beautiful day, and I decided to clean my ar out on the deck.. I go to disassemble the bolt carrier, and as I pull out the firing pin retaining pin, it falls through the opening in the deck into the rocks below. I cant find it anywhere. Fortunately theyre cheap, but still.. seriously.. so stupid.. Anyone know a good place to order another one?

So its a beautiful day, and I decided to clean my ar out on the deck.. I go to disassemble the bolt carrier, and as I pull out the firing pin retaining pin, it falls through the opening in the deck into the rocks below. I cant find it anywhere. Fortunately theyre cheap, but still.. seriously.. so stupid.. Anyone know a good place to order another one?

Rare-earth magnet. Shwing!

You're a masochist as well if you think any of us are going to say something that will make you feel better.

Yup. Let him have it, boys!!
bottom.gif

I know the feeling. I had to strip down my 22A to clear a jam at the Frosty shoot, and when I was putting it back together, the recoil spacer slipped and sent the recoil spring and guide rod flying across the firing line (range was cold, btw). Found the spring, but couldn't find the rod if my life depended on it. Plus, I was in the company of other NESers, so I was pretty embarrassed.

Doh2.jpg

I was diassembling the bolt in my Winchester 77. Had never done it before. Sproing!!!!! parts go shooting under the water heater and behind the furnace. I wasn't even sure what parts took off. Clothes hanger and a flashlight saved me.

I squibed my P-14 one time at the range. I took it apart and the recoil plug went flying across the range. It's a stainless gun so it looked like any other steel case out there. I looked forEVAH for that thing...never found it.

I called Para....told them that I was an idiot. They mailed me one for free... +1 for Para Customer Service!

Umm your talking the little split pin right??? I bet you could find a split pin in the hardware section of lowes, home depot, your garage, or an actual hardware store...it will work just fine, probably cost you less than a quarter with tax...

similar thing happened to me. My part was the slide catch lever spring on my sig mosquito, and in a cluttered family room. I knocked it out with some vigorous brushing, and i think it launched out of my pliers when i tried to put it back in. Upside to my case is the gun still works without it, except racking the slide to load a new mag doesn't always work. have to hit the lever.

I think we can all agree the moral of the story here is to trade in all our dainty, easily dirtied guns for glocks and AKs that never need to be cleaned!

I'm stupid about small pins and springs, too. When I built my first AR, I bought 3 extra firing pin retainers just for the days that I loose the originals. Brownell's is where I got mine.

I learned my lesson about 15 years ago. Was at a match, stripped the gun to do a quick bore swab, lost a spring, was DONE. (no nobody had a spare)

Anyone who is a regular shooter will tell you a similar story of a tiny part that got away.

Since that time, anything I use regularly, I order a few parts to have on hand. The AR companies have nice little small parts kits for fairly short money. I forget where I picked mine up from, but they are very comprehensive.

Now that you've learned the lesson, hopefully a few others did too.

A warning to anyone taking apart a Winchester 1892 - be very careful when removing the rear stock, as it holds everything together. When I took mine apart was doing just great - then the lever decided to open itself - and the change in spring pressures sent the springs and rods flying around the basement! One was actually sticking in the drop down ceiling.

While you're at it, order a cleaning mat made by Hoppe's (or any other company). It has done wonders for keeping excess grime, oils, little pieces-parts from marring up the bench when cleaning.

Just my $.02 worth.

Back
Top Bottom