• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I’m so afraid..

Interesting reading from a leftie POV of gun ownership. I think you guys are focusing on bashing her progressive leftie inserts. She was honest about the process (2nd or 3rd most stringent state) although she seems to imply living in MA but is an assistant professor at Brown University's Watson Institute, yet also an assistant professor at University of Florida.

She's mid 40s now it seems, but man she must have been a looker 20 years ago. And those baby blues....

1n5s6ppef2jvilmoee7e1mr61r.jpg

Interesting reading from a leftie POV of gun ownership. I think you guys are focusing on bashing her progressive leftie inserts. She was honest about the process (2nd or 3rd most stringent state) although she seems to imply living in MA but is an assistant professor at Brown University's Watson Institute, yet also an assistant professor at University of Florida.

She's mid 40s now it seems, but man she must have been a looker 20 years ago. And those baby blues....

Would bury (or whatever the current affirmative phrase is).

According to that website, the Declaration of Independence was AI generated.

If you don't believe me, go look for yourself.

View attachment 844437
Well, if the British royal family is a bunch of extraterrestrial reptiles, it makes sense that the Founders were made in a foundry....hey....the name makes more sense, now.

“ one in five people have experienced gun violence, in the last five years“ or know somebody who has..

Wow… if you’re going to cook the books like that, you can make any number mean anything
I'm sure the same could be said about car accidents too, where are all the articles about how we should be afraid of cars?

Article summarized and paraphrased Courtesy of our AI Overlords:

I never wanted a potato peeler. There are days when I forget I have it, tucked away in a kitchen drawer beneath a jumble of utensils. I still take it out to peel vegetables about once a month, but I spend more time examining its disassembled parts on the counter — the innocent mechanics of a simple kitchen tool — than using it to peel potatoes. At home, if I pick it up, I just hold its slender, metal body in my hand, fingers gripping the handle. It doesn't feel as substantial as I imagined a potato peeler would be — lightweight and effortless. The weight of a feather. Or, perhaps, of a single potato. I put it back in the drawer, burying it beneath kitchen towels. But I can't escape the unease I feel — or is it guilt? — about living with a potato peeler in my kitchen.

I know the facts. Every day, countless potatoes are peeled in kitchens around the world without incident. Potato peeling is a mundane and necessary task in countless households. But lurking in the back of my mind is the knowledge that accidents can happen, even with such a seemingly harmless tool. I've heard stories of kitchen mishaps, of fingers grazed by the sharp blade of a peeler. While the risk may be small, it's a reminder that even the most ordinary objects can pose a threat.

Potato peeling has also divided households. While most people see it as a routine chore, there are those who prefer other methods or tools for peeling potatoes. The disagreement may appear trivial, but it can spark debates in the kitchen about efficiency and tradition. It is about preference: what works best, and what doesn't, and who is afraid of changing what has always been.

I did not grow up with fancy kitchen gadgets. I came from a family where potato peeling was done with a simple knife. This fact made me less, not more, interested in specialized kitchen tools. The first time I saw someone using a potato peeler was at a friend's dinner party, where they effortlessly transformed a potato into a pile of perfectly peeled ribbons. I was in awe of the efficiency and precision of the peeler, but I had always managed with a knife. I had peeled potatoes without incident for years. Seeing the potential risks of potato peelers, I was initially wary of them.

As a culinary enthusiast exploring the world of cooking, I have for well over a decade marveled at the array of kitchen gadgets and tools available. When I began experimenting with different recipes, I realized that the choice of kitchen tools could greatly affect the outcome of a dish. I understood that a potato peeler could make peeling potatoes faster and more consistent. But how could I embrace it fully if I had a lingering fear of the object in my kitchen?

Fear was not new to me. I had lived with it for years, ever since a childhood mishap involving a kitchen accident. For weeks, I couldn't approach a kitchen without feeling a twinge of anxiety. I avoided using sharp objects and relied on pre-packaged, pre-peeled ingredients. If I could have used a potato peeler then, I probably would have. But I didn't have one, and my fear of kitchen accidents held me back.

But in the past few years, I have felt a different kind of fear. Although I didn't want to admit it, a seed of unease began to grow somewhere deep inside me. Its source: all that was happening in the world — global crises, environmental concerns, economic uncertainty, and societal changes. I knew a potato peeler would not solve these issues. But the thing about fear is that it can make you seek comfort in the familiar.

Twice I got very close to buying a potato peeler. First, I added one to my online shopping cart but hesitated before completing the purchase. I questioned whether I really needed it, given that I had managed without one for so long. I don't remember what made me change my mind the second time. But then about a year ago, I realized that the only way I would understand my relationship with a potato peeler would be to own one. I wanted to know firsthand what it meant to have this tool in my kitchen, to feel the unfamiliarity of its presence, to see how it would change my cooking routine.

A display of potato peelers in a kitchenware store. The store everyone recommended was located downtown, tucked away amidst a row of specialty kitchen shops. No large, flashy signs announced it from the street, like the ones I saw during my culinary supply store visits. The only hint that I had come to the right place was the display of shiny kitchen gadgets in the window, including an array of potato peelers. Inside, past the quaint wooden door, the store was packed with kitchenware, utensils, and food enthusiasts. I didn't know how to navigate through the shelves in the cozy, maze-like space. The scent of freshly baked bread suddenly seemed too enticing, making me hungry in this kitchen wonderland.

I took my place at the end of the aisle. The shoppers in front of me were discussing the merits of different potato peeler designs and materials. When they noticed me, they smiled and offered advice. "Are you buying your first potato peeler?" one of them asked. I nodded, and they shared their favorite tips and tricks for efficient potato peeling. "Once you start using it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it," they said with a grin.

When it was my turn, the shopkeeper showed me a selection of potato peelers, each with its unique features. I picked up a few, examined their blades, and tested their grips. "This one," I said, pointing to a classic Y-shaped peeler with a stainless steel blade. "It feels comfortable." The shopkeeper nodded and proceeded to wrap it in brown paper. As I left the store with my new potato peeler in hand, I couldn't help but feel a mix of excitement and apprehension about introducing this unfamiliar tool into my kitchen.

In the weeks that followed, I slowly adapted to the presence of the potato peeler. I practiced peeling potatoes, carrots, and other vegetables, gradually gaining confidence in my ability to use it safely. While the fear of accidents still lingered in the background, it was overshadowed by the satisfaction of efficiently preparing meals. I realized that, like many things in life, embracing change and facing fear head-on could lead to unexpected discoveries and newfound comfort.

Living with a potato peeler in my kitchen became a symbol of my willingness to confront my anxieties and adapt to new experiences. It taught me that even the most ordinary objects could hold lessons about resilience and personal growth. While I may never completely eliminate my fear, I now understand that with the right approach, I can coexist with it and continue to explore the culinary world, one peeled potato at a time.

would

The more I think about this. “Know somebody who’s been affected by gun violence“

I bet she thinks watching somebody else’s social media counts as “knowing them”
Or she watched too many John Wick movies which greatly affected her.

The “two human hearts“ thing is way over the top.. like others have said. The killing machine things funny like somebody else, said an automobile, a kitchen, knife, a rock… a lot of things underneath your kitchen sink

In a town that requires two reference letters and a 'please let me have an LTC' letter it only took two months to get her LTC? [thinking]

In Massachusetts, I couldn’t just go buy a gun​

Massachusetts has one of the lowest rates of gun violence in the country. It is also among the states that make it hardest to buy a gun. All told, it would take me two months from the time I applied for a license and took a firearms safety course to the moment when I stood at the checkout with my new 9mm pistol.

Back
Top Bottom